January 16, 2019, 08:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Going back to the future Part 3, the hundred pound challenge!  (Read 25730 times)
McFly

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »

Im in two minds Tanhauser.  If I were a lot lighter and leaner, I'd be happier with a pound a week.  But I'm easily over 30% bf currently so would not be too worried if I were dropping 2-3 per week at this stage, which is why I'm wondering if my eating needs to be a bit more spartan and weight loss focused.

Having said that, I've had a few extended periods off bodybuilding type training in the past and on every occasion I've started back I've gained 4-5 pounds in the first month back at it and experienced pretty rapid gains in strength as I returned to what I was handling towards the break.  Maybe this is the case this time, and my weight loss is not accurately reflecting my fat loss due to muscle re-gain? 

The scale is dropping slowly, I'm loving my training and bar the blip on Friday (which was more boredom than hunger driven) have had no issues eating "clean-ish" and steering clear of my old habits.  So for now, if it ain't broke.....

Todays food was as usual for breakfast, baked potato tuna and mixed peppers for lunch, 200g quark and a banana mid afternoon, pwo shake and about 75g rice, 200g chicken and mixed veg and spices cooked into a biryani for dinner.

Training:

Flat Bench Press - 75kg x 9,7
Incline Dumbbell Press - 25's x 8, 8

Seated Side Laterals - 7.5's x 12,11
Seated Dumbbell Press - 17.5's x 9,8

Tricep Pushdowns - 20kg x 12,11

Prior to training, I felt a little washed out and wasn't firing on all cylinders so was made up with my numbers.  Will focus on pushing up the reps with these weights over the next few weeks before upping them again.

Tannhauser

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »

Yes, it could well be if you've had a spell off training, you're getting some genuine recomposition (i.e. gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously). Which is the holy grail

I'm also carrying too much weight and will be looking to drop some over the next few months, so I'll be watching how you get on with interest.
McFly

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »

I'm almost certain that I'll be having to get a little more precise with my eating at some point in the near future fella.  It's only the fact that I've eaten so badly and trained with such a lack of intensity for so long that's allowing me to be what is essentially pretty hit and miss at the moment.

On that score, I've had a wierd few days since Monday.  My feeling washed out has carried on, and I've had a constantly bloated and painful stomach with associated bathroom issues.  No idea why.  A few of my work colleagues have had stomach bugs of late so maybe it's going round?

As a result, I've been struggling with eating carbs.  My breakfast has made me feel very uncomfortable so I've eaten just chicken on its own (with a very small salad today) for lunch the last 3 days (which has sat well) and a little quark in the afternoon (also fine).  I ate 3 oatcakes yesterday to curb my hunger around 5pm and have added carbs back in at dinner in usual amounts just to stop me getting hungry at night and falling off the wagon.

Didn't feel like training at all tonight but sacked up and got on with it.  Stayed with only one working set per movement though and got the whole thing done in 25 minutes.  It was either that, plod through my normal schedule at 60% or not bother at all. 

Todays workout. (back in my own gym)

Wide Grip overhand pulldowns - "8 plates plus 5kg" on the stack x 12
Close parallel grip pulldowns with a bit of a backward lean - "10 plates" x 9
DB Shrugs - 27.5s x 9
Face Pulls - "2 plates plus 5kg" on the stack x 12
Seated DB Curls - 12.5's x 9

Bar the curls (I was goosed by then end) I beat my numbers on every "first set" from my last workout on my own kit.  Granted, with less volume I was less fatigued (although every set was to total failure) but I'm happy as this time 2 months ago I'd have just sat on my backside drinking tea and watching telly.  So, a personal triumph in that respect.

Small steps.....
McFly

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »

Weekend update....

Between Friday morning and now, food intake has been predictably similar to usual.  Up late both nights so had a muscle mousse mixed with a spoon of peanut butter at about 10-ish both days.  Managed to add lunchtime carbs back in Friday and yesterday too with no uncomfortable result.  

Was visited by a friend yesterday who is a reasonably successful competitive bodybuilder.  He wanted to train, so joined me at the gym.  Legs as usual for me, shoulders for him (I've never trained shoulders on their own, and he battered them with multiple sets of about 6 exercises which made me weep just to watch.)

After 5 minutes bike to warm up, I tried some squats for the first time in months to see how my back was, before I got into my "real" session.  Just 3 sets, bar, 40k, 70k for about 10 reps apeice to get used to them again.

Leg press - 1 to 5 plates per side for 15,12,12,10,10.  Very little rest between sets.  Planned to finish with 6 to failure with a rest pause or two but my buddy had other ideas.  The final set ended up being 6 to failure at 10 reps, drop a plate a side to failure (I think 5 reps?), then another plate (maybe 3 or 4 reps this time?).  Then, stripped it all the way down to 1 a side for another 12 by which time I was almost in tears and gasping for air.

All I remember was that there was a lot of pain and a lot of noise.  Hardest set I've performed in about 10 years I think.

Extensions - 2, then 3 plates for 15 and 12.  Final set was 4 plates for ten, a couple forced, then 2 drops to failure.  Ouch.

I did a couple of sets of single leg curls next, facing into the extension machine.  Positive failure only.

Finished with calves on the hip sled.  Selected a weight slightly lighter than normal and was put through 5 sets of 15 with a 15 second rest in between each.  Deal was that if I missed any reps or wasn't ready to go for the next after 15 seconds I'd be charged "penalty" reps.  First 15 were easy, but I got into deep water from the second set, which I just about finished.  So, the last 3 sets ended up being about another 5, with weight drops and varying reps.  I was squealing like a pig at the end.

Spent the rest of the day basically wiped out and slept like a baby.  Had a good chat with my friend after and we agreed that as daft as it might be to go quite so crazy every session, it was a good reminder for me of how far I can push myself when needed.  I really appreciated the pain in that respect and I'm fairly sure I'll be upping my intensity a little now.

Weight wise, I was 18.3 yesterday morning so another pound off.  Weighed in today out of curiosity at 18.1 which I'm not inclined to take as a true weight.

So, at the end of month 1 I'm at least 8lb down, have regained a good chunk of strength, have had the best months eating in years and haven't even considered skipping a workout.  Modest goals for some, but a big deal for me.

Really happy.

McFly

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »

First day of month 2 done and dusted.  Didn't post my update last night as I was absolutely wrecked after training so just ate and went to bed.  Had a terrible nights sleep Sunday as I was out late watching a gig and my back was in bits from sitting on a folding plastic chair for the best part of 4 hours.  Just got my head down and got on with it though. 

Eating was par for the course.  Same breakfast as usual, rice and tuna at lunch, 3 oatcakes and 150g cottage cheese mid afternoon, pwo shake the 250g steak mince, some mixed veg and potato for dinner.

Training -

Flat Bench Press - 77.5kg x 9,7 (upped the weight a little but it felt like a ton today)
Incline Dumbbell Press - 25's x 9, 7 (stalled about 7/8 up the 8th rep, so won't claim it)

Seated Side Laterals - 7.5's x 12,12
Seated Dumbbell Press - 17.5's x 11,8

Tricep Pushdowns - 20kg x 12,12

Another step up across the board, so a tick in the box there.
McFly

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »

Update since Monday...

Diet was fine Tuesday and Wednesday.  Not much different to usual in terms of meal layout and portions with the normal variety of food sources. 

Took the club session Tuesday night and couldn't engage very much because my bloody back was in tatters (subsequently keeping me awake until 1am), and Wednesday it was so bad that I was genuinely almost in tears at my desk at work with pain and tiredness.  I'm normally really pain tolerant and not a softy by any means so it must have been bad....

Thursday, food went as planned but after lunch I started experiencing some "ahem" stomach problems which blighted the rest of my day and prevented me from training. Damn.

Today.  Ate well all day and stomach has settled a little.  Hoped to catch up on last nights session tonight but some family issues arose that have stopped me.  Granted, it's only 9pm now and I could go out and get it done but I've decided to have a monster leg, back and bicep session in the morning instead as I'm quite mentally tired now and know that if I trained I'd be doing so for the sake of it and just going through the motions.

I'm frustrated that the week hasn't gone to plan, especially so close to the start of my quest.  I'm determined to have the last laugh though.  I'm finishing the week with a killer session no matter what.
McFly

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »

Todays training.

Had a corker this morning.  Decided to do a German Body Comp type session to cover all the bodyparts I needed to get in this week.  Trained in my home gym so I could move from exercise to exercise without any bother.

General warmup and mobility work for a few minutes then...

Goblet Squats s/s Wide grip pulldowns - 4 sets, working up to 40kg on the squat and 8 plates on the pulldown for 10/8

Leg extension s/s Pistol grip pulldowns - 2 sets of 12/10

Leg curls s/s DB curls - 2 sets of 12/10

Only 40 minutes worth of work, but was totally bushed at the end.  Will spend significant amounts of time sitting on the sofa today as a result.

Breakfast, pwo and lunch done to plan.  Out for dinner tonight with friends and have made arrangements for grilled chicken and rice.  May drop a protein drink in between now and then.
McFly

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »

Same deviation in scale readings between Saturday and Sunday this week, both a pound lighter than last.

Job done.  Strong week to follow.
McFly

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

Over 1000 views for my ramblings now.  Thanks to all for following!
McFly

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »

Good start to the week eating and training wise.  My back and hip have flared up again something rotten and I've finally decided I've got to get to the doctor and see if they can help.

Last night's Training -

Flat Bench Press - 80kg x 9,7
Incline Dumbbell Press - 25's x 11, 8

Seated Side Laterals - 7.5's x 14, 10's x 9
Seated Dumbbell Press - 20's x 9,8

Tricep Pushdowns - 22.5kg x 10,10

Stronger overall on everything which is nice.  The changes in weight for the laterals and push downs felt really significant event though they were tiny. 

No changes to my general eating plan.
McFly

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34:51 AM »

So, been a bit slack posting since last Monday.  To cut a long story short, had a bit of a testing week from Tuesday night onwards, and strayed off track a little.  Had a pretty decent back and bi session Thursday but my head was shot so I just got on with it and didn't record my poundages etc.  Eating wise, I'd let a few unauthorised items creep in each day and didn't drop any weight as a result.  Had a firm word with myself last night and got back on the train today.

Eating back to plan today, and trained chest, shoulders, tris as follows:

Bench press - bar to 80kg 6 sets. Took 60, 70 and 80 to failure
Incline flyes - 3 sets, max reps. 15k bells.

Side raise - 3 sets of 12, 12, 10 with 7.5s
Front raise with 10k plate - 3 sets max reps, 12,11,10

Overhead rope extensions - 3 sets to failure, 3 plates on stack.

Had my one step back.  Now time for two forward.
McFly

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »

Update of rest of week so far.

Trained hard at the club on Tuesday, and got a huge sweat on.  Felt great.

Eaten well all week, even resisting the chippy on Wednesday when my wife fancied a visit, and made myself noodles and fish when I got home with her Pie and Chips.  Pleased with myself on that, as I'd have caved in last week. 

Worked late then had an appliance disaster last night so held training over to tonight instead of having a half assed session.  Tonight was pull, as follows....

Wide pulldowns - 5 sets working up to 10 plates.  Last 2 sets to failure
Pistol grip pulldowns - 2 sets with the same weight as the last set of wide grips
Prone bench db rows - 3 sets of 8-10 with 20's
Shrugs - 3 sets working up to 27.5s for 10
Hammer curls - 3 sets, 8-10 with 15's

Good stretch to finish.

A few extra sets in tonight, with a brisk pace.  Took some solid advice the other day that my volume and output is perhaps a little low for someone with my goals, with which I totally agree and was grateful for.  Now I've broken back in and got some strength back, volume is on the rise.

In a few weeks time, I'll think of re-jigging my routine to increase bodypart frequency (perhaps move to upper/lower) or volume (maybe German Body Comp).  Also time to think about a little more cardio, which I've done very little of if I'm honest since the start of January.

Looking forward to this weekends weigh in.  I'm sure I must have gained weight last week with my few days of silliness so as long as I'm at least where I was at last weigh in and have dropped whatever I gained I'll be happy.
McFly

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »

Weekend update.

Worked all day Saturday then had a family commitment so didn't train legs as planned.  Got into the gym Sunday morning and got the following done...

Bike, 5 mins warmup
Leg Press - 5x15 from carriage to 4 plates, 3 secs rest between sets
Extensions - 3 plates for 3 sets of 15
LEG CURLS!!!!  ON A LEG CURL MACHINE!!! - 4 plates x 15,15,12
Calf raise - 3 sets, 12-15 with about half the stack

Had a good stretch and foam roll to finish.

Weighed a fraction over 18st first thing.  Just over 11lb down in 7 weeks and last weeks inevitable gain undone.  Physically, looking quite different to the start of the plan with notably more size in some body parts. Goal for the week is to get 3 solid workouts in the books, not stray an ounce from my eating plan and dip under 18 stone at weigh in Saturday.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

Nice going, well done!
McFly

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »

Thanks Nic.  Good luck for the weekend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements