January 20, 2019, 09:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Going back to the future Part 3, the hundred pound challenge!  (Read 25801 times)
McFly

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »

Mondays workout -

Bench Press - Warm up to 3 working sets of 12,12,10
Incline Fly s/s Incline DB Press with the same bells - 3 sets of 15/10, 12/8, 10/6

Side laterals s/s Seated DB Press with the same bells - 3 sets of 12/8, 12/8, 10/7

Tricep pushdowns - 3 sets, 12,10,10

Faster pace between sets, incredible pump.

Tuesday -

Drilled about 15 minutes of calisthenics with my class, and joined in with the club session and left the other coach to teach.  Got a superb sweat on and was close to knackered throughout. 

Eaten as usual for the last 3 days and was REALLY glad of a rest day today.

Back and biceps getting a thorough pasting tomorrow.
McFly

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2016, 10:38:27 PM »

Only just realised I've not posted for a week.  Brief update.

Back and bi's last friday. I recall it being a good workout.  Forgot to record numbers but I know it was at least as good as the last.

Saturday, trained legs HIT style with a friend.  Probably the hardest session I've had since I last competed.  Legs were sore until yesterday.

HIT Chest/Shoulders/Tris Monday.  Very heavy and intense.  Again, the targeted parts are still sore now.

Trained hard at the club Tuesday.

Food wise, was a bit sketchy Saturday and Sunday as I was away. Yes, I could have planned ahead but chose to just wing it and enjoy myself. Didn't go too mad though. Back to plan Monday and been spot on all week.

Have been feeling run down with cold like symptoms for the last 2 days. Perhaps the 3 sessions (Fri, Sat, Mon) close together with two of them being especially intense was too much for me recovery wise?  Maybe it's just the time of year.  Who knows?

I'm still in the game.
McFly

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »

So I haven't written for a while.  Didn't realise how long until I just checked though...

The cold like symptoms in early March blossomed into a full flu and chest infection that's only just clearing now, and an ill timed cough sent my back injury right back to square one.  Result, two weeks off altogether and the rest of the month very sketchy and cursory training wise.  I've slipped with the eating, putting a few pounds back on too as although it's no excuse I really do struggle eating "right" when I can't train.

However, the last week has been back on track and I've got a couple of decent workouts in and eaten well. 

Yesterday mornings weight, 18st 2.5lb.  A new mini goal set of sub 17 1/2 stone by the time I go on holiday in June (9 weeks today, which amounts to a humble pound per week).  Motivated to carry on and back in the saddle now.
McFly

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2016, 10:49:27 PM »

Chest and Back tonight...

Flat BB Press s/s Wide Grip Pulldowns - 3 sets x 12,11,10

Incline DB Press s/s Seated Pulley Rows - 3 sets x 10,9,8

Form tight, as little rest between supersets as could be done.  Was breathing hard and sweating profusely at the end.

Finished with 5 rounds on the heavy bag.  Haven't put the gloves on for ages and really struggled.

Short, sweet and hard.  Just the way I like it.

Diet on the lines of what I was doing before I got ill.  Had a protein bar mid afternoon and chicken with air fryer potato wedges in the evening after my pwo shake.
tony_bonner

Powered by real ale

Email
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

Nice journal..very similar goals to me I'm currently a very fat 19st 5 at 5'10. Will be interesting to see how things go. Good luck!! Grin
McFly

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »

It's been a while.  Thanks to all who have given my journal a read while I've been neglecting to update it.

Although I haven't been updating, I've still been in and out of the game in the last 8 months. With a few bumps in the road of course.

I plodded on as before until about June time, making token progress up to my holiday and reaching my "mini goal".  Bizarrely, the day before I went I had a bit of an "incident" that saw me dislocate my shoulder and re-ignite my back injury which was later diagnosed as a damaged facet joint.  Ended up having a couple of months physio for that and still performing my rehab exercises now.

Started training again mid July when they opened a different branch of "the chain gym" up the road from where I live.  Since then, I've maintained a couple of workouts a week usually on an upper/lower split but avoiding anything that puts too much stress on my shoulder (which is still playing up) and back (which is ok as long as I'm careful).

Diet wise, I started again last July "cleaning things up" again before reading up a lot (inspired by Tony B) on Ketogenic dieting which I started in late September, getting great results until I went away for a couple of weeks in November, not really picking it up again between getting back and Christmas, during which period I pretty much ate everything in sight!

Had a significant change in working hours, and now work shifts over a 9 day rotation.  So that along with the injury in June saw me "retire" from teaching at the club (which later went on to close) as free time is now quite changeable and family priorities are first as I'm sure many of you can relate to.

So, here's my starting plan for 2017.

Training - Days 1,3,5 and 7 of my 9 day "week" on an upper/lower split.  I read Jon Harris' journal recently and will use something similar to his.
Eating - Initially, "cleaning" up from the Christmas binge, dropping typical junk food etc.  I'll be getting back into Ketogenic in the next week or two.

Starting weight was 18st 3lb yesterday (up 6lb over Christmas, having been 17st 12lb through early to mid December and about 17st 7lb before I went away in November) so although not great, still half a stone lighter than this time last year weight wise, but with much more muscle fullness, having managed to keep training ticking over for the latter part of the year.

The big 4-0 approaches this year.  I'm determined to be looking better on my 40th than I did on my 30th, so several stone to lose and much work to be done.
McFly

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:11 AM »

And with all that waffle, forgot to log todays workout!

Day 3 of my "week" - Lower:

Stationary bike warm up, 5 minutes.

Leg Press, 5 sets, working up to 200kg in plates for 8 reps.  Had one or two left in the tank.
Leg extension/lying leg curl, alternate sets (just enough time to catch my breath in between).  2 sets of each for 10-12.
Calf press, 100kg for 2 sets of 15,12
Hyperextension, Bodyweight only for 2 sets of 10,8.
Crunch machine, 2 sets of 15 with about half the weight stack.

Finished with my rehab exercises and a stretch.

No cake, biscuits, chocolate or ale today.  Tragic.
McFly

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

And another bump in the road....

Spent the best part of a fortnight struggling with a throat/chest infection and a stomach bug.  I must be some sort of bacteria magnet!

So, since the last recorded workout I've trained once.  Thursday 19th.

Opted for a full body session as follows:

Leg Press - 4 sets
Incline DB Press - 3 sets
Wide grip pulldown - 3 sets
Side lateral - 2 sets
Barbell curl - 2 sets
Calf raise - 2 sets
Crunches - 2 sets
Decent stretch and rehab exercises to finish.

Sore today, but happy to be back at it.  Planning another full body session tomorrow and for the next few weeks on the same days in my "week", rotating exercises between sessions but making sure I work my hip/knee hinge, upper body "push" and upper body "pull" with a decent basic movement at each session followed by a few other bits and bobs.

Haven't eaten especially well yet, but it's coming.
McFly

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »

Been really bad at updating the journal, but haven't disappeared.  Still plodding on.

Following my cycle of training days as close as I can (work has been needing me to put some extra hours in which has made me shift a day here and there) with similar full body sessions to the one above, feeling ok and enjoying it.

Diet wise, eased back in by gradually cleaning things up and upping my protein intake.  As of now, I'm on really low carbs (the only "actual" carbs I'm eating are 50g oats at breakfast) but keeping the fat high and not struggling.  Kind of a "keto with a small bowl of oats in the morning" plan.  If it works, I might give it a funny name and punt it all over instagram or something...

I trained with an old pal 2 days ago.  Ex Para who is naturally strong and a very mentally tough guy.  A bit gung ho with his training though and doesn't care for warming up or watching his form much.  I deadlifted for the first time in an age and after going no heavier than 100kg I'm wishing I hadn't bothered.  Back didn't appreciate it.  I incline pressed a little more than usual, but with a quicker rep cadence and a bit more explosion (but still good form, with no bouncing or the like) and similarly my shoulders are not thanking me.

Lesson learned.  Staying in my own lane in future.  Due to train tomorrow and will go back to a little lighter and watch those injuries.
McFly

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 06:26:43 PM »

Two workouts in this week, after another missed Friday and catchup attempt Saturday due to work.  Was due in Monday, but was in bed with a migraine all day.  It's a struggle at the mo.

Tuesday - Chest, Back, Shoulders:

Incline DB press, 12/10/18
Fly Machine - 10/8

Wide grip Pulldown - 12/10/8
Seated chest supported Row - 10/8

Side raise - 10/8
Bentover raise - 10/10

Wednesday - Legs:

Leg Press - 15/12/10/8
Leg Ext - 12/10
Leg Curl - 12/10/8
Calf raise on sled - 15/12/10

Was supposed to train arms after legs but both Biceps and Triceps were sore after Tuesday so I didn't.  Note to self in case I think of employing this split with consecutive training days again.....

Rehab exercises and stretch after both sessions.  Short cardio warmup and mobility exercises before.

Eating went belly up over the weekend (I'm blaming the stress of work but know better) and is somewhere in the ether between not especially disciplined and making sure I eat for purpose.  I'll get a burst of inspiration and knuckle down soon.
McFly

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »

Came down with my third cold since mid December after last Wednesdays workout.  Just can't seem to shake them!  Horrible chesty cough came with it that is still lingering but I felt up to it again today so put in an upper body shift:

Low incline DB - 3x 15,12,8
Parallel Close Grip Pulldown - 3x 12,10,8
Machine Flye - 1x12
TBar Row - 1x12
Side lateral - 2x 12,8
Military Press - 1x10
Preacher Machine - 2x 12,8
Pushdown - 2x 12,10
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »

Great introduction, will give this a watch Smiley

Best of luck with your fat loss goals!
McFly

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »

Great introduction, will give this a watch Smiley

Best of luck with your fat loss goals!

Thanks Dan.  I know from the journal itself kind of looks like I'm being a bit wishy washy at times and there are days when I feel like not updating it because my efforts seem a little unspectacular.  But I'm being honest, because one day I'll look back at where I started and what my capacity was "back then" and it'll make me smile.....
McFly

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:42 AM »

Rotten migraine on Friday which wiped me out Saturday too and cost me the planned lower session.  Back on track today with upper:

Incline DB press supersetted with wide grip pulldowns - 20/20, 15/15, 10/10, 10/10
Side laterals supersetted with dumbbell shrugs - 12/12, 10/10
Alternate DB curls supersetted with tricep pushdowns - 9/15, 8/12

40 minutes including my general warmup.  Decent pump and sweat on by the end.

Diet cleanup starts tomorrow.  A little higher on carbs and lower on fats than the "almost keto" plan I was using a few weeks back.  I'm focusing medium term on shedding some fat and looking in better shape for the first of a series of "occasions" I've got coming up this year.  Setting a series of 4 weekly "mini goals" within this time on the advice of a friend who has done something similar.
McFly

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »

Forgot to log Tuesdays Leg session....

Leg Press - 4x 15,12,10,10

Leg Extension/Curl superset - 3x 12,10,10

Calf raise - 3x 15,12,10

Upper tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements