January 20, 2019, 09:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 287
  Print  
Author Topic: James' freight-train diary  (Read 641035 times)
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »

Not since I moved mate. Wheel came loose on the bike and I hadn't had time to fix it.

But last night I went to the garage, repositioned the wheel, tightened it and re-sync'd the v-brakes. All good to go again now. Will be cycling tomorrow.

Im really enjoying my training and diet again lately. See www.alphamalechallenge.co.uk for a blog on a comp me and my mate are having against each other.

Trained this morning before work. Went as follows:

A circuit of the following repeated 3 times with 2 min rest between:

Punch bag - 10 x 4 hit combos, using hands, elbows, knees and kicks,
Press ups x 15
Chins x 5
Jumping squats x 10
Crunches x 10
Hanging clean and press x 6 with 45kgs.

I showed myself I need to work on my fitness, really had me blowing and feeling properly sick!

On the plus side my punches have become so much faster and more powerful Im really impressed and excited. Really has improved. My balance has gotte much better with footwork so that Im transitioning from hands to feet very easily within combos.
My knees and elbows are getting more powerful in a full clinch, and obviously aren't as effective at distance. My kicks have built in power and height range, but are still relatively slow.
The other elements are as always. As hard as you want them to be.

On the downside, my medial delt insertion to the humerus on my right arm is killing me! Must be strained slightly and is on fire. Must've been the wide grip hanging cleans that have done it. Ill leave them for a bit and rest my delts. In fact it really is quite painful.

Diet is good now. Cycling carbs a bit. 6 meals, good sources and hitting an average of 200g pro, 300g carbs, 80g fat.

Training is structured as follows:

Cycling 3-4 times a week to the station whenever early shift. Means 2 x 2mile rides, one 5 min, one 15.
Circuits 4-5 times a week in the mornings including bag work, different short bodyweight exercises.
Beast skills training 3-4 times a week in the evening. Including practice on the three relevant disciplines.

Fairly simple, can all be done at home or in gym and on the bike. Cycling will not impede on life, is just travel. And both types of sessions are 15-30 mins each.

I know I've changed direction a few times over last 6 months, but due to injuries, new interests, disappointment in fitness and weight, and the alphamalechallenge; this one is here to stay. Atleast for a few months.

Im anticipating some good fat loss   Grin some minor muscle loss  Sad increased fitness  Smiley and some impressive beast skills!  Cool
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »

things change mate at least your still staying fit. Not eating doughnuts like your colleges
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »

Loving training. Eating well but also whatever I like if I fancy it. Making the training count rather than a gram for gram diet.

Trained circuits and cycling on Tuesday.
Day off Wednesday and the today was/is as follows:

0610 - Cycled 2 miles mainly downhill. 6 minutes at a steady pace. Heart rate around 140-160bpm.

0720 - 10 minute walk/jog with bag on as forgot to get off the tube at the right stop! Rather than go back, exercise opportunity embraced!

0730 - Circuits. 3 rotations of the following:
1. Bag work. 8 limb, 5+ hit combos at full power and pace - 10 combos.
2. 15 x press ups on knuckles.
3. 5 x pull ups.
4. Jumping lunges. left-right-left etc. 40 total.
5. Crunches x 10.
6. Hang clean press - 6 x 45kg.
Heart rate after each circuit was 170-180bpm. Took 22 mins. Coold down stretches and planks.

1700 - Cycle 2 miles uphill. Aim 10mins. Heart rate will be about 180bpm.

Each circuit was 6 minutes. Had 2 mins rest in between. Probably doodled seconds too long between exercises. I want my work/rest phases to build up to 5min/1min respectively, with work at 100%, encorporating both muscular and cardio systems. Thats an MMA round/rest period. 3 x 5 min rounds with 1 min rest I believe. So its just a good milestone in terms of fitness. Then Ill improve further from there.

My pull ups are done. feet to floor in between. I have been keeping lats contracted, and my toes pulled up, legs locked at knee so I cannot cheat. But it works well for me. Rather than hoist up, I am getting a good pull, hold and lower. Like rack presses for chest I guess.

Really loving it. Still mucking around with people but cant wait to start MMA or Judo properly. Need to grapple. Best cardio ever! Cant until I figure out my rib pain.  Sad

GP is being rubbish. Sent me for x-rays. All normal. I guess on the bone front. Not known muscular or organ wise.
Have had a full chiropracting examination now. Exam, the numerous x-rays with them and then an appraisal.
Couldn't identify rib problem. Suspects maybe nerve trapped between ribs or something but doesn't know. Just a guess.
Spine is relatively healthy. Slight scoliosis, my hip, bottom scapula and shoulders are all 1/2 inch higher on the left (about 5% which is apparently significant but not far beyond minor).
Hip is slightly twisted causing right leg to be shorter, and my very bottom disc is compressed a little too much. But the rest is fine.

I'd love to sort it but it'll cost about 500 so like an uninsured American gun shot victim, I just have to take it and live with it. Ill strengthen core and flexibility and hopefully will be ok.

BUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY RIB?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Need elp badly. Really hurts.

Fitness has improved a lt lately.
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »

is there no one in relation to your work that could help you? You must have contacts with people
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »

There are physios but I've been to one and they didnt know. Palmed me off saying do hyperextensions on a gymball...idiots.

Then the chiropractor tried but could do nothing.

My only worry now is that as the bone is fine, and I can seem to contract all the muscles around there without pain, is it an organ???

The nerve thing is a possibility. As is maybe some sort of oblique insertion or intercostal muscle. Costochondritis effects the front of the ribs at the sternum so my GP is wrong.
Or, Gall bladder problems often have similar symptoms.

Its just driving me mad. I may have to go back to the doctor and say, "I had an x-ray, no good. I have seen your physio, no good. I have seen a private chiro, no good! You're just gonna have to send me for something else, MRI, CT, who knows!" I need something. Right between ribs 11+12 or 10+11, cant remember what the chiro said when he felt me up.

I am worried about it to be honest. And its holding back my grappling advancements!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »

HELD A FULL PLANCHE THIS MORNING FOR 4 SECONDS!!!!!  Grin  Shocked  Cool  Kiss  Wink  Smiley  Cheesy
Hands on the floor, press up position. Feet of the floor, body straight. Hold still. Elbows aren't allowed to lock under you, thats an elbow lever! All tri, chest, shoulder and core strength!

Weighed 16st 11lbs this morning, yet I do feel leaner, and my abs are clearer now too since a month or so ago.
Feel a bit bloated though. That must be why Im heavier.

Anyway, cycled this morning. Took it easy though. Nice poodly cycle with a roll downhill instead of still pedalling. Still went very quick on the hill though.

Circuits again this morning. Went as follows:

- 10 x Pseudo planche press-ups,
- 5 x pull ups,
- 10 x knuckle press ups,
- 5 x chin ups,
- 10 x bum up shoulder press ups,
- 30 seconds all-out, non-stop punch bag strikes.

- 6 x Pseudo planche press-ups,
- 5 x pull ups,
- 5 x chin ups,
- 6 x bum up shoulder press ups,

- 5 x pull ups,
- 5 x chin ups,

Loving the fitness style training. Still maintaining all muscle so far as my lats, traps, delts, arms, chest and legs are always pumped and fatigued to failure.
Getting much fitter.
Striking has improved further. Speed of strikes and combos has massively picked up and my balance has improved a lot.

Feeling good.

Cycling home later. That'll hurt. Its just so steep.  Cry

Eating rubbish all weekend. Im 27 on Sunday!
Max 21
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:19 PM »

HELD A FULL PLANCHE THIS MORNING FOR 4 SECONDS!!!!!  Grin  Shocked  Cool  Kiss  Wink  Smiley  Cheesy
Hands on the floor, press up position. Feet of the floor, body straight. Hold still. Elbows aren't allowed to lock under you, thats an elbow lever! All tri, chest, shoulder and core strength!

Weighed 16st 11lbs this morning, yet I do feel leaner, and my abs are clearer now too since a month or so ago.
Feel a bit bloated though. That must be why Im heavier.

Anyway, cycled this morning. Took it easy though. Nice poodly cycle with a roll downhill instead of still pedalling. Still went very quick on the hill though.

Circuits again this morning. Went as follows:

- 5 x pull ups,
- 5 x chin ups,

- 6 x Pseudo planche press-ups,
- 5 x pull ups,
- 5 x chin ups,
- 6 x bum up shoulder press ups,

- 5 x pull ups,
- 5 x chin ups,

Loving the fitness style training. Still maintaining all muscle so far as my lats, traps, delts, arms, chest and legs are always pumped and fatigued to failure.
Getting much fitter.
Striking has improved further. Speed of strikes and combos has massively picked up and my balance has improved a lot.

Feeling good.

Cycling home later. That'll hurt. Its just so steep.  Cry

Eating rubbish all weekend. Im 27 on Sunday!

...Don't forget to weigh yourself on Mon Grin
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »

Im gonna weigh a ton! Pizza last night had one large dominos plus one slice of another large, then finished off 3 slices for breakfast before cereal! Grilled lamb steaks tonight with cheese mash, salad and garlic bread! Lovely. Beef bourgingon with saute potatos tomorrow at my mum's, then a meal out monday. Ah birthdays! Cant get drunk though in case the girls come out to play! For some reason my quads feel massive. Must be pumped from a week of hill cycling.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

Well birthday is over and i am fat! Ate very well though and enjoyed it. Im back to it now. Not going to count macros but will take protein, carbs and fat over 6 meals from now on with an eye on cals so i can work out my responses. Training staying bodyweight resistance, circuit and cardio based. Though i need to focus on areas in more of a schedule so i can rest and improve while training daily. Its strange and difficult going from what i know to this alien world of fitness and gymnastic strength.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »

Ni Hao.

Trained this morning. Used 15g MP Pulse this morning. Read 'MP Pulse' thread under nutrition board for my review if you want.

Cycled the 2 miles to the station. Enjoyed the ride. Very alert and focused due to the Pulse.
Got to work. Did circuits as follows:

1. Bag work - Continuous strike combos for 30 seconds.
2. Knuckle press-ups x 15.
3. Pull-ups x 5.
4. Crunches x 10.
5. Chin-up negatives x 5.
6. Pseudo planche press-ups x 10.
7. Hanging clean and press x 4 @ 45kg.

REST 2 MINS

1. Bag work - Continuous 5 strikes per limb - R.kick, R.knee, R.Elbow, R.Fist repeat left.
3. Pull-ups x 5.
4. Crunches x 10.
7. Hanging clean and press x 3 @ 45kg.

REST 4 MINS (Prep yourself - Tried to cough up and got phlegm stuck to my stubble so had to wash!  Embarrassed)

1. Bag work - Continuous 5 strikes per limb - R.kick, R.knee, R.Elbow, R.Fist repeat left.
3. Pull-ups x 5.
4. Crunches x 10.
7. Hanging clean and press x 4 @ 45kg.

Big cycle to come later today.

Diet today is as follows:

0530 - 50g oats, 2 scoops protein, banana, glucosamine 1000mg, Multis.
0600 - MP Pulse.
0830 - Lucozade sport 500ml.
0930 - 3 eggs, 2 wholemeal toast, beans, 2 grilled waffles.
1230 - 4 x wholemeal bread, light cream cheese, 80g turkey, 50g ham.
1530 - Apple, Orange, grapes, 30g brazil nuts.
1830 - Beef stew (containing only beef, veg, non-creamy veg soup. Slow cooked)
2130 - Scoop protein.

Not perfect ie the waffles. All else is wholegrain and low GI, healthy fats and clean protein.
About 2900cals, 200g pro, 340g carbs, 80g fat.

As I said before, this is exercise based, not diet based. Cals are staying between 2500 and 3000 most days and energy expenditure is staying high.

Im going to have a weights day tomorrow. In fact I have decided that once a week I will have a weights day to supplement my training.

A basic exercise for each upper bodypart done for 8-6 scheme with progressive resistance week after week. Added to 4-5 round trip cycles, and 3-4 bodyweight circuits, and some beast skills practice. All should remain well.

This is my final long post re what I am 'going' to do. Its just evolving as I go as its all new to me. Posts from now on are going to be quick updates with what I've done.

Until my girls come and I can start MMA. Then it'll all change again I guess.
Max 21
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »

What do you weigh now Monbeef? Grin

I found ( after losing three stone )the easiest way to lose weight is just cv and eating less-no gym at-all Grin
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 06:25:17 AM »

I can imagine that worked! I guess my system is similar! Cv and bodyweight circuits everyday with now only one weights session. But eat less Sad i weighed 16st 13lbs yesterday! Can you believe it?! And with no gym i actually know its not muscle too! Birthday food. Still my mate found out his scales were out so we've null and voided the week Cheesy We'll recommence when he gets some. I might just keep eating so i make 17st one morning! Fat or not it would be fun!
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »

Felt so good to get hold of a barbell again this morning. Did upper body. All 8-6 as ill be building up on them.

Cycled this morning. Cycling again tonight.

Went light on all to rebuild safely. Only work sets shown:

Pull ups - 8xbw, 6xbw.
Bench Press - 8x110, 6x110.
Underhand EZ barbell rows - 8x80, 6x80.
Standing strict military press - 8x60, 6x60.
EZ curls - 8x40, 6x40.
Close grip bench - 8x80, 6x80.
ABS - 2 giant sets of crunches, reverse crunches, planks and vacuums.

Pull ups were hard. I wont add weight yet.
Bench press wasn't failure but was heavy still at 110kg.
barbell rows were very easy.
Military was hard.
Curls were pretty hard, as were close grips.

Did 20g MP pulse again today. Fingers tingled and felt pretty energetic but thats it.
Max 21
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

How's your muscle 'endurance' Monbeef?
SCOTTGALTON

Email
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »

nice workout mate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 287
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements