May 25, 2019, 02:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon's Journal  (Read 35084 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »

About time I started something here.  Smiley

Let's gain some muscles.

Off to do legs. Squats, extensions, leg curls, some standing calf, and a bit of ab work and light CV to finish. Nice and simple for today.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »

Blimey, the Master is handing out lessons to the masses  Grin

Subscribed
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »

Looking forward to this!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

Great to see you journaling Jon. Will be very good to see how you go about things. Mind you I have read your book several times  Wink
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »

Finally! Been waiting a decade for this, let's see how it's done!  Cool
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:02 PM »

Thanks guys, and sorry it took so long - lol!

So, I've been battling for many months now trying to regain some kind of happy work/life balance as I do silly hours at my job(s), and due to this struggle, training has bobbed along ok, but now I've kind of resigned myself to the fact it's unlikely I'll ever recapture the ideal lifestyle balance I had a decade ago when I was competing. My life has moved on and is more complex now. It's not going to get better!

So kind of accepted that training needs to be forced to fit in with this, and want to make a concerted effort in the gym again. No big plans, just doing it for me right now. It's very motivating that some of you have already shown an interest in this. I hope I can live up to expectations, although I fear my very simple and straightforward approach might not make as exciting reading as you think!

Anyway, today's workout:

Thick bar squats, warmups then 12 x 120 kg, 12 x 130 kg
Leg extensions 12 x 200 lbs, 12 x 200 lbs
Seated leg curl 12 x 110 lls, 12 x 110 lbs
Triset of unilateral standing calf raises, 45 x BW + 25 kg
Hanging leg raises 2 x 20 reps
5 mins bike, 50 cals burned

Apologies for the mixed units, I still train at home and my Cybex kit is from the US and the stacks are all in pounds. My free weights are in kilos, so it's all a bit mix and match.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »

Great to see this Jon! And I think I can hear Rocky music in the back ground............... Grin Cool
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »

Great to see this journal!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:14:20 PM »

Whats the diet looking at the moment Jon?
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »

I'm looking forward to reading this journal Jon.  A good chance to learn from one of the best! And to see how you fit your training around work.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:29:46 PM »

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments - it's all very motivating. Hope I can deliver a few helpful nuggets of info along the way.  Smiley

Great to see this Jon! And I think I can hear Rocky music in the back ground............... Grin Cool

Haha, thanks Matt, well early days but it does feel nice to be on a road to something, even if it's not particularly going anywhere at the moment, lol!

Whats the diet looking at the moment Jon?

Scott, it's 6 meals a day, 200g of protein, about 70g fats and maybe 400g carbs. About 3000 cals? I eat pretty clean, protein mainly from chicken, fish, whey, some eggs too. Carbs from oats, rice, fruit, veg. Usual stuff. I supplement with Udo's quite a bit too.

Bodyweight is 80kg on the nose. I'm comfortable at this weight so looking to maintain it for now, build more muscle and strip some fat off. That's the plan anyway.

Today was upperbody. A longer session than legs but I pair up many exercises and train using alternate sets to reduce rest times.

Lat pulldowns 12 x 230 lbs, 8 x 270 lbs
Flat DB bench press 10 x 40 kg, 8 x 40 kg
Tricep pushdowns 12 x 150 lbs, 8 x 170 lbs

DB bent over row 10 x 45 kg, 10 x 45 kg
Seated DB shoulder press 10 x 30 kg, 8 x 30 kg

Seated DB curl 10 x 20 kg (regular), 8 x 20 kg (hammer)
Seated DB lateral raise 12 x 10 kg, 12 x 10 kg

DB shrug 12 x 45 kg, 12 x 45 kg
EZ bar pullover 15 x 40 kg, 8 x 50 kg

No CV today

Post workout: whey, banana, 5g creatine, splash of Udo's.

Day off tomorrow then back on legs for workout B.

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:09:27 PM »

Hi Jon. What was peak contest weight for you? Any idea on bodyfat percent if you had to take a guess?

How to you pair up the exercises? Is it the way they are written, the grouped ones being ones done in a superset?  Eg Db bent over row into seated db press? Or db bent over row, short rest, db press?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »

Hi Toby, my best look was probably around 76-77kg which was the kind of weight I took to the 2006 worlds. I've competed a bit lighter than this but been flat, and also competed heavier and been a bit off. Guess at it's lowest my bodyfat would have been about 5-6%, but never had it very accurately measured and was always done with calipers. Right now I'm a bit down on size, and holding maybe 12% (ish) bodyfat, give or take.

Yes, I pair up the exercises as written. The first block is actually a tri-set, and the others are super-sets. So for example I would perform a set of bent over rows, then move straight onto shoulder presses. Take a rest, then repeat. I compress the workout time this way and increase intensity.

Some exercises are done straight, like squats and deads. I like to push these really hard and as a result they take a lot out of me, so I dont fancy supersetting those, and usually just sit down for a couple of minutes, catch some water and get my breath back before set 2. As mentioned above I seldom do any more than 2 work sets for anything but I do take each one fully to failure.
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 04:36:59 AM »

Glad I still be lingering like a bad smell because Im interested in this.

Is your split upper/lower atm then?

What major changes are there between workout A and B with the legs?

Hope all is well. 🙂👍🏻
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »

Finally! Been waiting a decade for this, let's see how it's done!  Cool

Ha ha, this!  Grin

Great to see you've started a Journal, Jon. The site is complete.

Where do you think you're at strength wise, relative to your peak? Or, is that not such a concern anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements