March 26, 2019, 01:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon's Journal  (Read 33927 times)
felix

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »

Great to see you starting a journal Jon I look forward to following it.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »

Thanks Felix, got some catching up to do to compete with yours and some of the other monster size journals on here, but will do my best to add stuff when I can.  Smiley

Is your split upper/lower atm then?

What major changes are there between workout A and B with the legs?

Hope all is well.

Hi Damon, keeping pretty well thanks, and nice to be back on the saddle with training. Hope your training is going well? Yes, it's an upper/lower split, tomorrow's 'B' leg workout will be very simple, just leg presses and stiff leg deads with some toe presses for calves and a bit of ab work and CV to finish. But I'll be pushing it hard and will report back on how it goes with reps, poundages etc. Looking forward to it.

Great to see you've started a Journal, Jon. The site is complete.

Where do you think you're at strength wise, relative to your peak? Or, is that not such a concern anymore?

Cheers Si. Wink

I'm definitely down in strength, some exercises more than others strangely. Generally my pressing is poor compared to where it has been, both on chest and shoulders, so I need to work on that. Leg strength is still pretty good and usually responds quickly when I get back into training. I'm not too fussed about beating previous PB's now, although it'd be nice to get back up to roughly similar poundages. Hopefully over the next few weeks and months things will creep up again, but I'm in no rush and happy to take my time and enjoy the process and more importantly avoid injuries.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »

Today's session:

Leg press, 15 x 240kg (wide stance), 8 x 290kg (wide), 10 x 300kg (close)
Toe press, 15 x 200kg, 10 x 240kg, 10 x 240kg
Stiff leg deads, 15 x 120kg, 10 x 140kg, 6 x 160kg
Leg raises, 20 x BW, 10 x 10kg DB, 12 x 6kg DB
5 mins bike, 50 cals

Felt good today so went for an extra work set.

Bodyweight 80.5kg, started using creatine a few days ago so probably some water weight creeping on there.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »

Impressive weight used there Jon, do you ever perform regular deadlifts? Or just the stiff leg variety? Do you find your upper back work + stiff leg deadlift give your posterior chain everything they need therefore not missing out on not regular deadlifts?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »

Thanks Ben.

I dont usually bother with regular deads as the weight used on stiff-leg is enough to give my lower back a good workout, and I'm definitely feeling it today as it's very sore from the session the other day (painfully so!) It's an abbreviated programme but hopefully enough variety to hit the whole posterior chain.

Birthday today so will try and squeeze in a 'celebration' workout.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »

Interesting, as my regular deads are generally only 10-20k heavier than stiff leg, but can hit them more reguary than normal deads

Have a good birthday mate, just an idea, I did 26 sets of squats for my 26th birthday last year, could use the same concept?  Wink
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »

Happy Birthday Jon

Nice bit of weight being shifted there. Do you still do the deads with the ez bar like your dvd?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »

Have a good birthday mate, just an idea, I did 26 sets of squats for my 26th birthday last year, could use the same concept?

Cheers Ben, that's an interesting concept, although I'd have a few more sets to complete than you!! (41 to be exact  Undecided)

Happy Birthday Jon

Nice bit of weight being shifted there. Do you still do the deads with the ez bar like your dvd?

Hey, thanks Scott. These days I use the regular Olympic bar for deads. I do like the slightly angled grip on the EZ bar, it does feel comfortable (in the same way I like using a trap bar when I have access to one), although the longer bar seems better balanced with heavier weight and doesn't rock around so much. Ultimately, I'm also limited to what an EZ bar can hold, which is 160kg on mine (3 x 25kg per side + bar).

I noticed some decent poundage on your deadlifting recently too Smiley
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »

Happy Birthday Mr. H!
Funny you mention SLDL as I've just started to bring them back in.  A favourite for hitting the hams?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »

Thanks Matt.  Smiley

Yes, SLDLs are very effective on the hams, if done to a good depth with an arch in the back. Definitely one of my favourites.

Another upperbody session today, slightly better than last week but still feeling a bit wiped out from the previous leg workout.

Lat pulldowns 15 x 250 lbs, 10 x 290 lbs
Flat DB bench press 12 x 38 kg, 7 x 42 kg, 8 x 38kg
Tricep pushdowns 15 x 150 lbs, 10 x 170 lbs

DB bent over row 15 x 45 kg, 12 x 45 kg
Seated DB shoulder press 10 x 30 kg, 8 x 30 kg

Seated DB curl 10 x 20 kg (regular), 10 x 20 kg (hammer)
Seated DB lateral raise 15 x 10 kg, 15 x 10 kg

DB shrug 15 x 45 kg, 15 x 45 kg
EZ bar pullover 15 x 40 kg, 10 x 50 kg

Stuck to just 2 sets today but reps were low on chest pressing so added a third.

Weight at 81kg today. Still loading with creatine so probably some extra water weight there.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »

Belated happy birthday.

Another tick on the SLDL, I have not done them with a BB for an awful long time. Gone with DB through laziness of not wanting to load up a bar but reading this has inspired me to do them. I much prefer BB and feel I personally get better form and stretch.

Do you work to failure or shy Jon? What would you calculate final rep exertion at for percentage? Are you done on final rep?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

Cheers Toby. On the SLDL I go to failure, defined as the last rep I can do with good form. If I feel my back starting to round and cant recover it, I wont do the rep though, not worth risking a back injury. On squats and leg press I also go as close as possible to failure but err on the side of caution and occasionally may stop a rep short if I'm not confident I can drive the last one through, as failing would leave me in trouble.... insurance for training alone I guess. On all other exercises it's right to the end though, basically until the weight wont budge and starts coming back down, despite 100% effort. I dont do negatives or drop sets though, just straight sets taken to the limit.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »

Happy birthday Jon, hope you had a good one.

Good to hear that you're a fan of the SLDL.  I definitely feel that my hams and glutes have improved significantly from doing them.

SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »

Cheers Toby. On the SLDL I go to failure, defined as the last rep I can do with good form. If I feel my back starting to round and cant recover it, I wont do the rep though, not worth risking a back injury. On squats and leg press I also go as close as possible to failure but err on the side of caution and occasionally may stop a rep short if I'm not confident I can drive the last one through, as failing would leave me in trouble.... insurance for training alone I guess. On all other exercises it's right to the end though, basically until the weight wont budge and starts coming back down, despite 100% effort. I dont do negatives or drop sets though, just straight sets taken to the limit.

Thats summed up how I train now I train solo. When I train with someone I take things a bit further.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

Do you have intentional off periods with the Creatine Jon, or just when you run out?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements