May 25, 2019, 12:25:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you stay natural?  (Read 12570 times)
Cordwell13

« on: June 07, 2016, 12:49:16 AM »

Haven't posted here in a long while but just wanted to pick some of your brains, recently the temptation to move over to the dark side has rose, with some days I'm certain I want to do it, then the next day I change my mind. There's obviously pros and cons with both and its a huge decision that I have to make and has been on my mind ever since I started lifting 8 years ago. I just wanted to ask you guys why you chose not to use assistance and if you ever will in the future? for me it would be:
Cons:
obvious health side effects
cost
negative stigma
all I know is natural bodybuilding, I don't care for ukbff or nabba, I only really follow the natty feds
not entirely sure how to eat/train as an enhanced athlete
probably wouldn't be competitive right away so would have to take a few years off stage to get bigger
don't really wanna be 'too big' most of you know the look, bald, angry looking. I always want to look aesthetic

Pros:
you all know the benefits.. strength, size, recovery etc
a higher potential to become sponsored or make money out of the sport
probably help me as a personal trainer

If you guys can just give me your reasons why id really appreciate it as I'm in limbo atm, and really don't wanna make the wrong decision. thanks.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:36 AM »

You forgot a main one, fertility. For me, bigger/better 'gains' doesn't outway the risk of making myself infertile in the future.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »

You're right to give it a lot of thought, it's a really big decision.

Lots of good points already raised yourself and by Dan. Obviously I'm going to recommend staying natural, my mother used to say 'if in doubt... dont', and it's not bad advice.

Think of the end game. If you start on drugs then some day you will have to get off them again and lose the gains. That could be a short period of time or a long one. What do you want to achieve, and what could you realistically achieve by going on them? Think about the time when you come off and look back. I would say it is unlikely that using would increase financial security in the longer term. The cost of sustaining that lifestyle could make you worse off. A very, very small percentage of bodybuilders really benefit (in terms of furthering their career) from taking drugs. Perhaps less than the top 1% genetically gifted.

Ultimately for me, the ethical issues and my longer term health kept me natural. It's a decision you need to make for yourself, but a lot can be achieved naturally with hard work over time.
merve

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »

Great answer jon.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »

I think there are extra reasons (or considerations) as a female - it's much less socially acceptable to take gear, and to look like you do when you take gear.

Anyway, for me:

- I like sport to be as "pure" as possible. Just the body and what you can do with it. To me, using any drugs would give me an "advantage" which isn't me/my hard work.
- Health. I don't want kids, but even so I don't want to f*ck up my hormones. Or my heart/other organs. TBH my knowledge of the health risks of gear is minimal, but know there are risks and I don't want them.
- Aesthetics. I find the assisted female look impressive, but it's not for me. I like the natural look. I'm happy to push the natural look as far as I possibly can within my own limits - in fact I want to! But I wouldn't want the assisted look.
- Public perception. I'm pretty sure my family and close friends would be shocked/disappointed if I took gear, and I wouldn't want that. And I think as an assisted female, I'd be perceived differently by people in the gym, strangers, acquaintances.
- Yet one more thing to think about. I find it difficult enough to remember my macros, meal timings, water intake etc as well as running a business, doing my tax return, and remembering when I'm meant to be picking my nephew up from school. I'd probably mess a drug protocol up by forgetting something. I cba with the extra level of worry!
- Cost. I'd rather spend my cash on protein, meat, shoes, dresses, and high end skincare items tbh Wink

Please note this is all just my opinion and I don't place any of those ^^^ views onto anybody who does choose to use.
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »

Some great answers in this thread, I personally take the natural route for my health, I couldn't face the fact that one day I will lose everything Iv worked for, my health could be in bits and all for what? I prefer the look of the top natural guys too, not as freaky but still massively impressive and aesthetic , how brian whitacre looked at the worlds impresses me far more than any of the olympia guys, just my personal preference

Also it's a mindset thing (for me) I know if I used, I would know that is an easy way out for me, and in other areas of life I would look for an easy option too, instead of working harder I would up dosages, and you can't do that with family,buisness etc when Times get tough, it would make me lazy, again just my mindset

I think for those of us with kids that lesson of hard work to become who you want is a big one and a great example to set,

Plus as bodybuilders we have such a great opportunity to compete here in the UK with a chance to represent the UK doesn't get any better than that!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »

Agree with every word Ben said. For me, health becomes before literally anything else. If you do not have health and life, you have nothing.

Living and breathing is a gift, don't throw it away in search of something so superficial as a plastic trophy and a guy in the pub saying you look stacked.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »

Agree with every word Ben said. For me, health becomes before literally anything else. If you do not have health and life, you have nothing.

Living and breathing is a gift, don't throw it away in search of something so superficial as a plastic trophy and a guy in the pub saying you look stacked.

Boom! Great answer Cheesy
Cordwell13

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 12:49:36 AM »

Some great feedback, thanks guys. Anyone from the opposing side? obviously quite expected on a natty muscle site.. The reason I've never taken the plunge is because I've never felt 100% ready, once you use you cant go back (I don't agree with the 7 year clean rule but that's just my opinion) and being a natural trainer is symbolic to me, I'd have to chuck out all my 'naturally build, and 100% natty tops out for Christ sakes!' I dunno why this subject doesn't come up more, I know its a bit taboo but id always wanna find out reasons why people stay natural, even more so any pros if any of them wanna chime in! Also for me if drug testing was significantly better then that would encourage me to stay on the natural side as although the sport and all the feds do their upmost to keep drugs out of the sport there's always some that fall through the cracks.
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »

Some good reasons for staying natural have already been mentioned.

For me, it's about setting an example. When I have children one day, I wouldn't want them taking PEDs, so I would be a hypocrite if I took them myself and told them not to do it.

The social stigma is a big one - people would assume that you've taken a shortcut and haven't worked hard for the gainz.  They'll then judge your character based on that action alone.  People put you into the "dodgy / weird person category".  I care about my career and wouldn't want to have my reputation ruined by something like this.  At work, a colleague joked that the steroids must be working quite well for me as on one particular day I was looking quite full.  I gave him earful for that comment.

Another reason is cost.  There are other things I'd rather spend my money on, like holidays!

Also, I'm an advocate for trying to hit my natural potential.  If I'm not competitive on a natural stage then I would have no chance on a non-tested one, so there's little reward in going to the dark side.
LiftHard

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »

I want to...
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »

Right now I'm a big and strong natural. I've worked really hard for 15 years and have earned enough to be pround of and to have some fun in decent strength comps (hopefully decent BB comps too this year).

BUT, for me to be at the same stage as a using bodybuilder, I can't just take a simple cycle or two. Lots of people here are top end national or higher lifters or bodybuilders. To be a top end national juicer you gotta take a lot of juice, costing a lot of money and risking a lot of health.

And without all that juice, we'd all be just another using BB in a gym full of hundreds of them. 'I used to be good as a natty first!' 'Yeah right.'

That's why I stay natural. I've earned it. I don't want it taken away by becoming a novice in the next game.

Like being an RSM with 22 years active service I guess, then becoming a Lieutenant with all the new officer recruits.
LiftHard

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »

Right now I'm a big and strong natural. I've worked really hard for 15 years and have earned enough to be pround of and to have some fun in decent strength comps (hopefully decent BB comps too this year).

BUT, for me to be at the same stage as a using bodybuilder, I can't just take a simple cycle or two. Lots of people here are top end national or higher lifters or bodybuilders. To be a top end national juicer you gotta take a lot of juice, costing a lot of money and risking a lot of health.

And without all that juice, we'd all be just another using BB in a gym full of hundreds of them. 'I used to be good as a natty first!' 'Yeah right.'

That's why I stay natural. I've earned it. I don't want it taken away by becoming a novice in the next game.

Like being an RSM with 22 years active service I guess, then becoming a Lieutenant with all the new officer recruits.

What gets me the most about juicers is when they juice if they don't know what they are doing, not only do they loose the gains from the juice, but also, the gains BEFORE juicing....If u are gonna juice, be prepared to fight like a mother to keep those juiced gains, cause the way u got them are not going to be present when off...U automatically loose that 50% increase in protein synthesis...THink about it...HOw can u maintain those gains without the extra increase in protein sysnthesis?It's not gonna happen, unless u can somehow mimic via  pct the 50% increase of protein synthisis...

I haven't even mentioned the other mechanisms juice utilizes which u don't get either when off...go figure...

If u can build a base without first, then if u want to juice u will have a better chance at keeping the gains...
Tez

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »

Some top answers. I'd say my two penneth on top is that I sometimes see the assisted shows as 'who took illegal drugs best' rather than the natty athletes whereby it's about the level playing field, clarity and integrity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »

Because Im an average natty, so if I become a sted head I will just be an average sted head only I will die sooner and have a smaller bank balance.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements