January 22, 2019, 03:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you stay natural?  (Read 11526 times)
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »

I've often pondered this. a lot of the reasons mentioned already count in my kind but what stops me is the uncertainty issue.

how many of us question our training, our dietary choices etc etc. if you use PEDs you take a risk and as such I would want to maximise my results. The uncertainty of all the basic variables would prevent me from taking that next step.

I constantly feel that by improving my training and  diet I could be better - maybe not PEDs better but better and if that's the case will I get all the benefits considering the inherent risks?
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »

Because Im an average natty, so if I become a sted head I will just be an average sted head only I will die sooner and have a smaller bank balance.  Grin

Forum Post of the Year right there
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »

Because Im an average natty, so if I become a sted head I will just be an average sted head only I will die sooner and have a smaller bank balance.  Grin

Forum Post of the Year right there

Why thank you kind sir.

Hopefully the awards will go ahead this year without me causing them to be deleted 😑
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

When it comes down to it the big question is what is the big picture?

For me I like to be successful at what I do and for me success is being happy, healthy, proud of what you are doing and being responsible for whatever life choices you make. The implications of using are to me;

1. Actually damaging/compromising my health for what? a trophy? a weight? I can win a trophy and lift a weight without compromising my health so there is no logical reason in my mind to take anything. All taking gear does is raise the weight you can lift or the look you can present, but that is then solely down to PED's. As someone who is competitive as well I know for a fact that no matter how far I would go there is someone in the drugged world who will happily risk sacrificing everything to win.

2. In my work, to be very honest, nobody is going to want to do business with someone they perceive to be taking drugs. Right or wrong it is simply a fact in my situation. Also as at times it can be a very intense environment I honestly believe the changes that having excess hormone swimming in my system would have on my temperament would be negative.

3. In my home life I simply would not be comfortable sitting with my wife knowing that she would have to jab me in the arse with some dodgy horse drugs that a mate brought of a Polish fella at the local gym who also sells Coke etc. She would see me as a drug user, I would see myself as a drug user and it would be something I would have to carry.

4. At the end of the day nobody makes a bean out of bodybuilding/powerlifting, both are great sports but really at the end of the day both exist for my own accomplishment. what bob smith thought of a weight I lifted in 2010 is pretty much meaningless to me. 

5. I have been in an intensive care ward and for me it would be most ridiculous thing imaginable to end up there again with liver/kidney failure through my own choices. Life is far too precious.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »

All the replies here are great but this ^^^ says it all.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »

Trying to look at it from both perspectives:

Pros
Bigger
Stronger
Potentially more marketable

Cons
Obvious potential health implications - some negatives are likely exaggerated. However, it's a bit Russian roulette. You don't know if you'll be just fine or if you'll be someone that has serious heart/renal/fertility issues.
While you may be more marketable, the general public are becoming more switched on to PEDS. They're in the news a lot more than the 80s/90s. It could potentially make you less marketable.
If you want to bodybuild/powerlift, you'd need to make a decision: happy with just turning up or 'up the dose.' That's one thing that really put me off in my early 20s - I trained in a primarily UKBFF gym and guys always commented that they had to increase their cycle to be competitive.
If you want to do any work within sport, in most instances, any association with  PEDS will be a no-go. There's even something in the WADA code about it now. 

Ultimately, the only definite pros are bigger and stronger. Only you can decide if you feel that being bigger/stronger is worth all of the cons.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

For me I like to train, I like to eat well, I like to be healthy. Bodybuilding for me is a by product of this rather than the reason that I do what I do. Getting on stage at some point probably keeps me training a bit harder and probably eating a bit better than I would but all in all I live the lifestyle and enjoy it. So drugs have never really come on my radar, I don't smoke or drink and have need taken anything else so why would I take steroids?

Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »

TBH I get why people want to use PED's, from what I've seen and heard, the results are pretty much instant, and of coarse the ceiling height is greatly altered from what can be achieved.  So I guess these are the Pro's.

The Con's would be for me the fact that I have achieved some decent results naturally, so if I was to use now it would put all those years behind me in the shade.  I know you have already accomplished quite a bit naturally.
As for your work, it's a double edged sword really.  You may look bigger / be stronger but each client will have their own opinion on PED's and that would skew their attitude to you.
Cost is a factor, as is health - although as Si mentioned, this is possibly a bit out of date and dependant on the individual and the PED's in question.
I think possibly the biggest con from the people I know is the fluctuating size and strength issues with being 'on and 'off' play serious mental games and that's something I wouldn't want! 
At least I know what I've built will stay longer and more consistently. 
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »

Matt raises a good point there.

When I lose a tiny bit of strength in a diet I feel like smashing my head off the wall.

Dread to think how I'd feel if I lost loads of size and strength due to cycling on and off.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »

Totally. And once I saw a post from someone on muscletalk saying that and he said, "Don't you just hate life when you're off?"

What kind of way of life is that?!?! Only happy when you are an enhanced version of yourself. How will you ever be happy as yourself?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »

Interesting perspective about coming off the drugs by 6 x Mr Olympia Dorian Yates...

https://youtu.be/Hrh2HW7NQ9U
LiftHard

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »

For me I like to train, I like to eat well, I like to be healthy. Bodybuilding for me is a by product of this rather than the reason that I do what I do. Getting on stage at some point probably keeps me training a bit harder and probably eating a bit better than I would but all in all I live the lifestyle and enjoy it. So drugs have never really come on my radar, I don't smoke or drink and have need taken anything else so why would I take steroids?

Would you consider trt?
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

Interesting perspective about coming off the drugs by 6 x Mr Olympia Dorian Yates...

Interesting interview. Thanks Jon.
LiftHard

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 12:13:35 AM »

You're right to give it a lot of thought, it's a really big decision.

Lots of good points already raised yourself and by Dan. Obviously I'm going to recommend staying natural, my mother used to say 'if in doubt... dont', and it's not bad advice.

Think of the end game. If you start on drugs then some day you will have to get off them again and lose the gains. That could be a short period of time or a long one. What do you want to achieve, and what could you realistically achieve by going on them? Think about the time when you come off and look back. I would say it is unlikely that using would increase financial security in the longer term. The cost of sustaining that lifestyle could make you worse off. A very, very small percentage of bodybuilders really benefit (in terms of furthering their career) from taking drugs. Perhaps less than the top 1% genetically gifted.

Ultimately for me, the ethical issues and my longer term health kept me natural. It's a decision you need to make for yourself, but a lot can be achieved naturally with hard work over time.

Yep, good post! Jon how do u think the current pros will look when their career is over? Also, what about the retired pro's, how do they look today? What is their health like, etc....

DghSpanishWelsh

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

Very.

For Yates, the gamble was worth it. But let's be honest, how many people are gonna succeed like Yates.

One of the things I admire about Dorian is that he manages to speak honestly yet responsibly about gear.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements