July 17, 2019, 11:50:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What got you into lifting/training?  (Read 3313 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: June 08, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »

As the title says, how did you get into lifting? Smiley

For me, my Grandad used to work in security for 20+ years and was always lifting in spare time at work. When I was 13-14, he bought me a York bench from Argos with the bulky sand weights and passed down a few bars and equipment. Loved the feeling from lifting so trained from around 13-16, but with no information or education just on & off, doing curls here and there and the usual stuff in my bedroom Cheesy

From about 18 I really started taking an interest and doing more research on nutrition, training programmes, watching a few YouTube videos and gaining a little group of people on there who I follow, watch a lot and learn from. My grandparents then converted a spare room into a little gym with equipment in which I would go to 3 x week after work.

About 6 months ago I decided it was time I joined a proper gym with more range of equipment with some friends. I now go with anywhere between just myself, or up to 4 friends. I try and go 3 times during the week, sometimes 4, and then have a session at my Grandparents on a Saturday when I go and visit them. Smiley

How about you guys? What's your story regarding how you found yourself getting into lifting?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »

I love  this kind of thread (aka I Am Nosy!)

I've "done sport" since I was 6 - swam with a local squad (wasn't very good) and did swim training and some very low-level meets from 6-11 when we moved out to a rural area.

I lived in the sticks (no public transport and obviously I couldn't yet drive) from age 11-18. I did school sport, and I had a horse between ages 14-18 which kept me active (lots of lifting haybales and giant sacks of feed etc).

At Uni I got back into swimming, also started a martial art and we did do some gym work.

Then I got into running (I "raced" 5K to marathon distance, and also trained with a club where we did proper track sessions and club championships on the track), and from that got into triathlon. I guess between the ages of 19-32 ish I was mostly doing the endurance thing. Somewhere in those years I swam the Channel twice, round Jersey once. But yes essentially those years were all about endurance sport. The most weights I did was rotator cuff exercises every morning before work with tiny DBs in my bedroom  Cheesy

In 2010 I realised I was totally uninspired by the thought of any running race or triathlon. I'd always liked the little bits of weight training I'd done. And I'd been going to Body Pump classes (!) and really enjoyed lifting. So I decided to hire a coach to help me train properly with a focus on lifting, and to help me "do a diet" too. The result was quite startling and she said "you could compete!" I had no idea what she even meant. I looked into it, liked the idea, entered my first show and....er...here we are.

None of my family are sporty and I have no particular "real life" role model or inspiration for sport and fitness. Well, I do now, obviously - the natty BB lot! But I've didn't grow up aspiring to be strong or fit or to have any kind of physique. Sport wasn't a thing in our house.
Amshaegar

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

A friend showed me the film "Pumping Iron" with Arnold Schwarzenegger. That got me in to weight lifting.

I lifted on and off for a year or so, not really knowing what my goal was, so got in to bodybuilding. I enjoyed the training and going to the gym, but I didn't like the idea of posing on stage to win. I started to realise I wanted to get as strong as possible, not trying to look my best for what seemed like a beauty contest. I like the idea of winning my lifting the most, so simple.

So around a year ago I started training for strength and power. Once I have reached my power goals, I may want to start Olympic lifting or maybe strongman.
LiftHard

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »

skinny
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements