March 26, 2019, 11:02:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Fitness Pal  (Read 5398 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: June 08, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »

Who uses My Fitness Pal?

Was just wondering what people do with calories and macros. For example, sometimes I will hit my calories but still have say 20g carbs left over. When you guys are tracking do you just count macros and ignore the calorie count, presuming that the calories are wrong, or do you just stick with calories?

It's something which has been bugging me for a while now.  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Cheers
Dan
Nate

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »

I just hit my macros and allow for the variance without thinking much into it
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

Yes I do but I just work to macros. Not sure how you can hit cals and not macros since the macros add up to the cals? Or do you mean you might have gone over protein by 20g, so be under carbs by 20g? Or are you thinking that some of the foods are inputted incorrectly?
Dan94

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »

Yes I do but I just work to macros. Not sure how you can hit cals and not macros since the macros add up to the cals? Or do you mean you might have gone over protein by 20g, so be under carbs by 20g? Or are you thinking that some of the foods are inputted incorrectly?

I'm thinking that some food maybe incorrect - but I checked and it's fine. I actually checked some food labels and some are out aswell. For example, a muller light fat free yoghurt has 18g, 3g protein which is about 63 calories.. Yet on the nutritional label it says 99 calories in the pot?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »

Yeah some food labelling is shocking!
Dan94

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »

Not sure what you'd count though, the 99 cals or the cals that accumulate from the macros?

Annoying stuff!
MJB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »

I personally work to a set calorific limit.
My calories are set to X, or Y dependant upon whether it's a training day or not, with those limits being what I have learned through trial and error works for me in terms of weight loss or maintenance.
Protein is almost inevitably kept within a similar level on a daily basis, with the only variables being carbs and fats which are rotated in terms of quantities as my mood dictates. I've found that so long as I hit those preset calorie targets, I will achieve my goals.
In a respect its an IIFYC of sorts (If it fits your calories) although food choices throughout are generally clean! Smiley

Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »

The calories can add up to a different number than the macros would in the basic math of 4/9cal per gram because of rounding down. All the little 0.somethings add up.

One other thing on the app, check everything, do not believe any of it or you will be buggered with false info, some of the numbers are shockingly inaccurate. How I work is to find whatever the food is the first time, I check and check it again via trusted sources, then add it to the meal I am having it in then it is stored for repeat use with the correct numbers. Over time I have most possible food choices I would eat saved for reusing in the Frequent and Recent tabs.
Dan94

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:11:34 PM »

The calories can add up to a different number than the macros would in the basic math of 4/9cal per gram because of rounding down. All the little 0.somethings add up.

One other thing on the app, check everything, do not believe any of it or you will be buggered with false info, some of the numbers are shockingly inaccurate. How I work is to find whatever the food is the first time, I check and check it again via trusted sources, then add it to the meal I am having it in then it is stored for repeat use with the correct numbers. Over time I have most possible food choices I would eat saved for reusing in the Frequent and Recent tabs.

Have done this mate, always scan the barcode then actually check the label on the food too.

It terms of saying about companies rounding down, which would you go by in the case? Calories or macros?
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »

As I'm contest prepping, calories are king for me.  That's the metric I adjust from week to week in response to my weight loss.  I don't really mind if my protein or carbs are off by -10g / +10g.  Fat on the other hand, I track much more closely.

As for actually finding products on the database, it can be a bit of a nightmare when eating out.  Yesterday, I had a naked burrito from the usual place I go to.  When counting macros for this, I look at the portion size and eyeball it.  If the suggested numbers from the app tie up, then that's ok. 

Dan94

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

But if the calories said 500 and the macros added up to only 400 calories, which is right?
SuperplexSteve

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »

Would you be able to give an example of items where there is a large difference like that?  Because I usually find that things like meat, oats, pasta, potatoes, bread and rice (aka stereotypical bodybuilding food) aren't too far off the mark.

One solution would be to compare the macros of a similar product.
Dan94

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »

I guess so, maybe I'm just over thinking lol
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »

Does it really matter? Stay consistent with what you use and are eating, then trim portions a little when needing to get things moving downwards again.
Dan94

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »

I do flexible dieting / iifym mate so each day varies a little really although majority of food is the same Monday to Friday
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements