May 20, 2018, 10:23:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to power lifting, numbers seem off? (also Hi I'm new to furum)  (Read 9462 times)
Amshaegar

« on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

Hi all   Smiley  I'm new to power lifting (been doing less than a year). I weigh 66kg and 66 inch tall.

Dead lift seems quite easy, use all of your body and get that bitch off the floor, boom. I can pull nearly 2.5 times my own body weight, 160kg for my 1RM.

Squat seems hard, I can't seem to get back up from parallel with anything over 80kg!

Bench press! Why is it so hard Huh I can't even rep my own body weight. Most I've done is 60kg Sad

Thanks.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »

What are you asking, mate?

They just take training and a lot of technical expertise. You've obviously nailed deadlifts, the others will come if you learn them properly and keep training them with appropriate programming and attention to support muscles.

It takes a long time!

In the meantime you can do single lift comps in the BDFPA and do deadlift only while your others come up to scratch. 160kg will be a good start for comps. You'll need to be moving up and over 200kg to place anywhere at nationals though.

Keep going!
Amshaegar

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »

"What are you asking, mate?" I was asking if the numbers seem wrong, like is it normal to be able to deadlift so much compared to the other 2 lifts?

I always hear people say deadlift is the hardest lift. But I found it to be the easiest to increase my 1RM in!

"You'll need to be moving up and over 200kg to place anywhere at nationals though." That is what I am aiming for on dealift.

Basically,  I need help in squat and bench press. I have read many article online, and read a few books about powerlifting, my favourite being "Powerlifting - The complete guide to technique, training, and competition" by Dan Austin and Bryan Mann.

Nearly everything I read contracts everything else. I have tried different things, but none of them work for me.

For example Bench Press...

The Dan Austin book says push the par straight up, in a vertical line. Other places I am reading that the bar should go up diagonally 70-80 degrees, starting over chest, and locking out over shoulders. None of these work for me!
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »

deadlift will always be the quickest to progress initially.

some of the ratios between lifts depends on body shape/limb length.those who tend to be good Deadlifters tend to struggle more with deadlifts as longer limbs aid positioning in deads but make squats and bench harder.

whatever your ratios are dont sweat it. focus on form and just aim for slow continous progress
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements