August 24, 2019, 09:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-Workout Shake?  (Read 5970 times)
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« on: August 02, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »

Does anyone use a post-workout shake? For cutting its something I probably wouldn't (and don't) bother with, as I prefer to get my calories from food. But when bulking, I think it could be beneficial to get some carbs and protein quickly in after working out.

Does anyone use a post workout shake?

Was thinking of trying something like this:

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/complete-all-in-one.html

or the Aftermath shake from BP.

Cheers
Dan
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »

Whether I'm over or under feeding I will consume a post workout shake with carbs and protein (even after cardio). I personally feel that it's very important.

Definitely worth trying an all in the one and if you get along with it you can consider building your own with tailored ingredients.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »

I always have a PWO shake.  That's arguably the best time to consume something, especially simple or fast absorbing carbs for glycogen replenishment etc. Eating solid foods straight away can sometimes be a bit tough, especially straight after training when you may feel a little nauseous.  I'm a big fan of Aftermath as it's pretty much tailor made for PWO and has lots of ingredients.  I used it all the way through my prep last year as it was all good calories, and something that can be accounted for.
Mac

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:34 AM »

I always tend to have one after a heavy workout, normally whey, almond milk and a poptart or lucky charms.

Bodyweight in lbs x 0.25 for carb and protein intake.

But the more I read the more research seems to point at it not being necessary and that the post anabolic window is pretty much bullshit.

As long as your pre-workout nutrition and total caloric intake is sufficient there is just no need.

But old habits die hard.

SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:40:59 PM »

I use a post workout shake as it's convenient for me. I train early and want nutrition right after. I fit it in my macros for the day so it's all good. It means i'm not having to eat a meal at the gym or straight away at my desk. So I have whey, creatine and a couple of pieces of fruit and it suit me fine. I've been trying different stuff over the many years and this is my favorite option as I like the taste of fruit and the shake.

To be honest mornings are so busy at work I have a shake again at 10.30 with nuts and then get whole food
Pierps

Follow the dreams, never back down and be yourself

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »

Hi Dan, in my opinion during the bulking fase post-with meal is very important.
- Immediately after workout, liquid meal: Post workout shake with carbs (Superstarch) or another fast-release carb and on scoop of hydrolyzed protein or MAP (master amino acid patterns).
- After 30/45 minutes a solid meal: a cup of rice with any source of lean protein (20gr net)
This is my post wo in this period and I have noticed, furthermore, an increase of strength.
After an heavy workout this is the top for me.
Ps. Sorry for my English, but I'm an Italian boy and I I'm improving it and at the same time I'm trying to say my advice  Grin Smiley
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »

I religiously consume a good honest serving of oats and banana with whey pre workout, usually in the region of 600 calories regardless of where I am in my training or my focus. Even when getting the last bits of fat off I kept this in as I feel pre workout nutrition like Mac said above is what is going to allow you to train hard enough to stimulate the response you need, be it muscle retention when in the nitty gritty or muscle growth when there is a surplus.

The post workout is less important and I think as long as you have consumed a pre workout or have a small serving of bcaas if it's a monster session the pre workout meal will sort you out I'll you eat 30 mins to and hour after training.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:20 AM »

Always always always. Cutting or not. I do adjust it. For the first half of my diet I used 30g Whey and 50g Dextrose. Then I moved onto Aftermath. Then to mirror Aftermath macros without buying it I used 50g whey and 20g Dextrose. Now I'm not on a diet it's 50g whey and 50g dextrose.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »

I think the research on the importance of the post-workout window is a little mixed, but then I've a feeling (hardly scientific, I know) that there may be differences between populations. For example, if you're highly trained and looking at performance, it could be beneficial.  

I've worked with a few athletes in different sports and noticed a benefit - admittedly, it could be down to an increase kcal/pro/carbs rather than timing specific. Also, some of these athletes are training 2-3 times per day, which could make it more relevant.

Metabolic pathways, for example mTOR, Cyclic AMP, Insulin response, etc., are all heightened after exercise so it seems a good time to take advantage of that.

Another way to look at it, why wouldn't you? What negatives will happen as a result? If you're someone that subscribes to 5-6 meals a day, pre/post workout seem like pretty good time to have them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements