May 23, 2019, 07:52:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Competing in UKBFF Kent Classic (28th August) and worried....... critique??  (Read 10471 times)
grantmax89

Email
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:23:20 PM »

Hi All,

I have spent most of my time on here reading and haven't posted much.

However, I am competing at the end of August and I am worried about my progress.

Firtsly I am aware that the majority of guys I will be competing against will be on the juice and therefore not expecting to place top 3 as it is also my first comp - but I don't want to look an idiot on stage for obvious reasons.

To keep you updated I have a coach (who is fairly new to coaching) but won the british super heavyweight finals last year.

Thus far he has been great, however chatting with someone this evening who has competed before has told me that my coach has me on a programme that would suit someone better one gear and that I am also doing way to much cardio. Not only that but I should be "popping" and more vascular.... now I am aware there is more than one way to skin a cat but I could do with some input from a 3rd party...

So I thought I would turn to you guys for a bit of advice - I have attached a couple of photos from last week (4 weeks out) - let me know your thoughts..

Also how much cardio do you guys do that have competed in the past...I am doing 40 mins fasted in the morning and then post workout its 20mins hiit and 20 mins LISS.

As for my diet - I am on about 2500 per day - I havent calculated macros as I leave that upto my coach.

The way I have been looking at things is if I stick to what he says and I end up looking a bit sh** then I only have one person to blame..... but lets be honest ... I want to look the best I can....

Let me know your thoughts guys ...

now for the pics:

Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »

Hi and welcome Smiley

What's your diet like and how has it changed throughout the last few phases of prep?

And how long have you been doing that amount of cardio for? Is that every day?
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »

Hi and welcome Smiley

What's your diet like and how has it changed throughout the last few phases of prep?

And how long have you been doing that amount of cardio for? Is that every day?

Hi Nic, Thanks

At Present my diet is as follows:

Meal 1
150g lean beef mince
5 egg whites
1 whole egg
10g coconut oil

meal 2
200g chicken
200g sweet pot
100g green veg

meal 3
200g chicken
200g sweet pot
100g green veg

meal 4 (pre workout)
200g chicken
100g green veg
tablespoon coconut oil

Meal 5
200g chicken
200g sweet pot / 60g basmati rice

Before bed
30g casein
30g whey protein

The diet has slowly tapered down over the last 3 months with a couple of changes one being replacing meal 2 from a protein chack and almonds to what it is now to increase my metabolism.

Its all been steady which I view as good but I guess I will leave you to critque....

oh, almost forgot - cardio is 6 times per week..... it hasnt been that duration for too long it has works its way up from 20mins fast cardio in to what it is now.

Cheers.
fhwill

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38:50 AM »

You can only be popping and vascular, if you're shredded... You're neat, you won't look like an idiot onstage but likewise as you said, hard to compete if there's gear guys there.
If you've got a coach, stick with it, or leave him. In my opinion the worst thing you could do is to take advice here there and everywhere  Wink

Maybe stick with it and assess afterwards? Then your head's clearer and you should be able to take on advices and move forwards.

For what it's worth and II'm no expert but nothing above looks rreally that wrong. If I thought you were doing anything that bad I would say...

Good luck  Cool
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

You can only be popping and vascular, if you're shredded... You're neat, you won't look like an idiot onstage but likewise as you said, hard to compete if there's gear guys there.
If you've got a coach, stick with it, or leave him. In my opinion the worst thing you could do is to take advice here there and everywhere  Wink

Maybe stick with it and assess afterwards? Then your head's clearer and you should be able to take on advices and move forwards.

For what it's worth and II'm no expert but nothing above looks rreally that wrong. If I thought you were doing anything that bad I would say...

Good luck  Cool

Cheers Pal,

Appreciate the kind words.

My idea was to stick with my coach. He may have ideas in his head for the next 4 weeks that I don't know... plus as long as I do what he says I always have someone to "blame"  Grin

I just wanted to get some peoples opinion in here with it coming from a more natural perspective - it's always nice to get a 3rd angle on things too Smiley

Thanks again  Smiley
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:12 AM »

Have you talked to your coach, voiced your concerns, asked his reasons for what's he getting you to do? IMO a coach should be happy to explain their plan (and welcome an athlete's queries).
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »

Have you talked to your coach, voiced your concerns, asked his reasons for what's he getting you to do? IMO a coach should be happy to explain their plan (and welcome an athlete's queries).

Not as of yet as I am not sure if I need to query anything as of yet.

Yesterday evening was when this person mentioned my current condition hence I posted here .... up until now I have put my faith in my coach as he knows best so I haven't had any reason to question anything ... just hearing that I wasn't in the condition I should be in is a massive knock.

.... What are you thoughts on my amount of cardio and current diet?

Thanks.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »

Diet looks solid, and cardio does look quite a lot but sometimes these things have to be done (hopefully only for a short period of time). I'm no coach and have no "fitness" qualifications though so hopefully those with far better knowledge than me will chime in!

I think if you've any worries/doubts/questions it's always worth a chat with your coach. If only to put your mind at rest about why the plan is how it is right now Cheesy
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »

What does your coach think of your current condition in regards to the time you have left?  The cardio you are doing is more than enough, and I wouldn't suggest doing any more.  Diet looks solid enough to me, but perhaps you could reduce some of your carbs as the day progresses.
The 'pop' the second guy mentioned is as Flick said, is more down to condition (body fat).
Good luck with the competition!
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:01:04 AM »

What does your coach think of your current condition in regards to the time you have left?  The cardio you are doing is more than enough, and I wouldn't suggest doing any more.  Diet looks solid enough to me, but perhaps you could reduce some of your carbs as the day progresses.
The 'pop' the second guy mentioned is as Flick said, is more down to condition (body fat).

Cheers Pal, appreciate the input!

Coach said he is happy with were I am with the time we have left. As I said I have no reason to doubt really, I think the person just got in my head a bit.

From you experience - and picture - do you think I could get my BF down to a good point by the end of the month?

Thanks!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »

Coach said he is happy with were I am with the time we have left. As I said I have no reason to doubt really, I think the person just got in my head a bit.

From you experience - and picture - do you think I could get my BF down to a good point by the end of the month?

Thanks!

No worries  Smiley
You still have 4 weeks to further improve, so no reason why not - assuming you are still currently improving / losing weight? 
I don't know too much about your category, but I'd say you need to be a bit tighter than you are now.
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »

Thanks!

No worries  Smiley
You still have 4 weeks to further improve, so no reason why not - assuming you are still currently improving / losing weight? 
I don't know too much about your category, but I'd say you need to be a bit tighter than you are now.

I am hoping that is the case - I weigh myself with photo check in every Friday so I will know about any improvements tomorrow. - Doesnt Help that I was ill on Monday and Tuesday though!

Just hoping the next 4 weeks can bring me in a bit tighter!

Thanks again Matt - on a side note - do you have an Instagram account?
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

No worries mate. Yep, I don't put much on but it's matt.argall
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »

I'd agree with the others' comments. Like Matt said, 4 weeks is a decent time period.

Cardio: It's a fair amount, but nothing out of the ordinary. Different coaches approach things in different ways, so nothing to worry about.
Diet: Again, looks fine, no concerns.

One other consideration from your pics, is I'm assuming you're competing in one of the UKBFF Physique type classes? If so, there may be slightly less emphasis on being absolutely shredded. I'm not fully au fait with those classes, but it looks that way from the pics I've seen.

All the best with the comp.
grantmax89

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »

I'd agree with the others' comments. Like Matt said, 4 weeks is a decent time period.

Cardio: It's a fair amount, but nothing out of the ordinary. Different coaches approach things in different ways, so nothing to worry about.
Diet: Again, looks fine, no concerns.

One other consideration from your pics, is I'm assuming you're competing in one of the UKBFF Physique type classes? If so, there may be slightly less emphasis on being absolutely shredded. I'm not fully au fait with those classes, but it looks that way from the pics I've seen.

All the best with the comp.

Cheers Si, Really appreciate the comments.
I have been to a couple of their shows this year, I felt like most of the guys were in better condition than myself (although I must rememeber I am 4 weeks out and they were competition day!.... and on gear!)

... lets see what the next 4 weeks brings - I'll keep you guys updated

Thanks to everyone for the re-assuring words - has calmed my nervs a bit haha!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements