April 18, 2019, 07:17:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back in the game  (Read 5648 times)
ChopperTheDog

« on: September 04, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm 37 and have recently started training after about 4 years off and have loads of questions but one at a time.
I was trying to do a bit of research and a supplement list to get started but the amount of choice and things that look like gimmicks out there left me going round in circles.
My question is, what would you recommend as a basic supplement list and can you recommend brands please.
I was thinking:
Protein (got this one covered, I really like Sun Warrior raw vegan)
ZMA (don't know which one to buy)
BCAA (don't know what one)
A good multivitamin (don't know what one)
No2 (don't know what one)

If I've missed anything then please point it out and any brand recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm a bit worried about creatine, should I be?. I took it about 10 years ago and remember being impressed with it.

I already take vit d daily and iodine. Thanks
Mac

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:48:22 AM »

Personally I don't worry about supplements to much, they are called supplements for a reason. If your diet is sorted (ill take a guess a say it isn't) then it will take care of things.

But saying that supplements I take regular and recommend:

Fish Oils - I tend not to eat enough oily fish
Vit D - The UK has a serious lack of sun
Multi Vit -Cheap cheerful covers the basis
Creatine - Cheap and proven
Whey - I don't really consider it a supplement more a staple food.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »

Thanks for the reply, you are right, it is my diet that needs tweaking. Not what I eat but the amounts.
I've started behaving myself and eating right the last couple of weeks;
Breakfast is nuts (almonds, Brazil, walnuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds) banana, local honey, cinnamon and goats milk blended up in my vitamix.
Lunch, I take a salad with chopped olives, salmon steak, avocado, cottage cheese, sweet potatoe (I try and get 90% of my carbs from sweet potato) and I graze on this through the day.
For dinner I usually eat with the family and just go really shy on any carbs that are on the table.
At the weekend I might have a few beers on Saturday but I'm going to cut that out for a couple of months.
I take an omega 3 fish oil daily. 
I try and eat healthy but I think I consume to much good fat.

What would be your typical daily diet. Thanks again.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »

Hi and welcome. My thoughts - which are just my thoughts and I must stress I'm not a coach/PT/nutritionist:

what would you recommend as a basic supplement list
My staples are protein (whey, usually from bulkpowders), vit D3, a multivit (I use the bulkpowders one as I think it's really complete) and green tea (no idea why, tbh I think it's just habit!) I have tried creatine in the past but don't feel it makes a difference to me. Maybe I should try again.

ZMA - personally I haven't seen enough convincing info.
BCAA - useful when dieting but otherwise I wouldn't bother. BCAAs are just protein, so my thinking is if you are eating enough protein at regular intervals then why do you need the extra BCAA
A good multivitamin - I use Complete Multivit complex from bulkpowders
No2 - why?

I'm a bit worried about creatine, should I be? Worried in what way? About safety/efficacy? It's widely regarded to be safe. Main question is do you feel you'll benefit from it.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »

Re diet, yes that probably is a lot of fat. Personally (again just me!) I'd want to eat more carbs, less fat, and probably more frequently than that. But most important thing is calories, then macro split, then a meal frequency that suits your life and routine.

Might be worth tracking your intake via myfitnesspal or similar for a week (or at least a couple of week days and both weekend days). Can be an eye opener!
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:32 PM »

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at myfitnesspal.
What bothers me about creatine is the water retention and raised blood pressure but I'm probably worried about nothing. I've started working out again to try and stay healthy and flexible, I would like some strength back if possible and I've never seen my abs before so a peak at them would be nice to.
I always went to the gym from about 18-30 years old around 4 times a week with my mate, we would do 15 mins of cardio, then weights and that usually took 45 mins to get through whatever body part and then another 45 mins of cardio. I drank too much beer and never really paid much attention to diet except a protein shake after training.
I'm 6ft and a slim build but at my strongest was about 15 1/2 stone (no visible six pack) and benching 100kg,
Not super human but respectable. I went for the social side as much as anything else.
I moved away about 7 years ago, lost my training partner and my training has been more off than on ever since with no real consistency. My diet has improved a lot though but I've also lost muscle as well now weighing 12 1/2 stone.
I don't know anything about macro diets so if you could point me in the right direction on anything usefull that would be great. I'm pretty disciplined now so if I can work out what I'm doing and armed with help from good people like yourself then I'm sure I can get some results. Any help would be appreciated, feel a bit lost with it all. Many thanks
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »

If I were you I would start by tracking your existing food. Don't make any changes. Just track it so you know what you are currently doing. From there you can assess and make changes.

Re macros, I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is so apologies if I'm dumbing it down way too much!

Protein - 4 cals per gram
Carbs - ditto
Fats - 9 cals per gram

(of the macro, not of the food - i.e. 100g chicken isn't 100g protein, it's about 25g protein)

So once you know what you're eating, you can also see what kind of macro breakdown is making up your calorie total.

there's no one best way to "design" your macros (for want of a better word). Some people prefer high carb/lower fat, some higher fat/low carb.

Most people seem to agree that you should keep protein constant at about 1g per lb of body weight. From there it's up to you what you do with the remaining calories. If it were me, I'd have enough fat to be healthy. Then fill the rest up with carbs.

So in a nutshell what I'd do is:

- track your food for a bit just so you are aware of what's going on
- work out your BMR and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) numbers so you have a rough idea of how many cals you need to maintain/lose fat
- think about how you want to split those calories across your 3 macros
- design a way of eating/meal frequency that suits your lifestyle, routine, work, family etc

Ultimately the most important thing is consistency. So make it all something you can stick to, enjoy doing, etc. The most "perfect" approach in the world is no good if you won't actually do it.

Don't feel lost, you have NM now Tongue

PS What are your goals?
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply and help.
Please do dumb all advice down as much as possible so it's nice and clear. I understand what you mean so will grab a set of kitchen scales at the weekend and work it all out. I will try and track a couple of days with myfitnesspal as well.
I do prefer to get most of my carbs from sweet potato and a small amount of potato as my body really doesn't like wheat, makes me feel like crap. I find I don't get any up and downs if I eat a lot of good fat as well.
I had some relevant blood tests done recently so I will upload them with some pics hopefully over the weekend.
I'm trying to get fitter and to stay flexible as I work for myself doing a manual job and it's starting to take it's toll, also I would really love to see my abs as a reward for the hard work, strict diet, no booze etc.
I'm well disciplined and have no problem sticking to any diet and not eating rubbish.
Once I've got my body fat down then I will concentrate on weights. Thanks for your help
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:05 AM »

Stick around & let us know how you are getting on  Smiley
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »

Wow, you guys were right about the diet. I tracked my diet the first day without changing anything and clocked in at 3800 calories over 4 meals and I eat mostly clean food. I was devastated to see how mang calories there is in mayonnaise 😢 and how much 10g of Mayo is 😢. In that day I had 195g of fat, 313g of carbs and 181g of protein.
I'm getting the hang of all this but I seem to be spending 3 hours a day either up the table with a calculator planning the next days meals, washing up, weighing food or cooking (gonna start another thread on ways to save time on this). Do you guys eat the same meals everyday because it's so time consuming otherwise.
I'm aiming for 2800 cals a day to start with as I have a physically demanding job and I'll tweak as I go. Today I had 2794 cals ,119 fat, 243 carbs and 191 protein.
I weigh 12 1/2 stone and I'm trying to get from 16% body fat down to under 10% and under 8% would be nice. Any advice and tips much appreciated.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »

I'm doing that over 6 meals now
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 10:28:13 PM »

With regards to food prep I tend to do the same every day -

6:30am - 150g oats with 100g banana and whey

While that's cooking I cook my 150g of chicken breast in the oven with chopped veg and spice wrapped in cling film for 15 mins, I also throw a couple of baked spuds into the microwave for 10 mins while the chicken is cooking. This gives me 15 minutes to drink coffee and enjoy my oats while 2 of my meals for the day cook.

9am - 50g of oats with peanut butter at work

11:00 am - meal 1 300g spud with 75g chicken and loads of veg

2pm same

4pm - fruits and cereal bar

6pm 80g oats/100g banana and whey or a few pop tarts and whey

Train

8pm meat and veg

The oats take 3 minutes to make which is nice and easy, the morning cooking takes 15 minutes and the evening meal I make together with my other half. It feels very stress free and uses hardly any time. It's one of those things that get easier with time.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

Really appreciate the reply and advice. Cheers mate
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »

Personally I don't worry about supplements to much, they are called supplements for a reason. If your diet is sorted (ill take a guess a say it isn't) then it will take care of things.

But saying that supplements I take regular and recommend:

Fish Oils - I tend not to eat enough oily fish
Vit D - The UK has a serious lack of sun
Multi Vit -Cheap cheerful covers the basis
Creatine - Cheap and proven
Whey - I don't really consider it a supplement more a staple food.

Thanks a lot for this reply mate, since I first asked and you replied I have gone from 18.5% body fat down to 13.8% as of tonight and still slowly dropping.
I'm eating 2500 calories a day, 175grams of protein, 267 grams of carbs and 70grams of fat.
I have done that with only diet and exercise. I have been eating 1gram of protein per lb of body weight but I think I will up this as I have lost a little bit more muscle than I would have liked but on the whole I'm very happy. I have just bought some protein, creatine and aminos some hopefully that will spur me on to the much wanted 10%. Thanks again for your very helpfull reply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements