August 24, 2019, 07:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting advice ex football player  (Read 5312 times)
andrejb

Email
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »

Hey guys.

I have been strength training and using weights for about 12 years now. I started playing football competitively at a young age, I am now 27 and have decided I want to get rid of some fat (specifically the love handles and stubborn areas) and get back to my lean physique.

I have 18% body fat, my genetics have always been good enough that now matter how big or heavy I get, I always have abs. But I store all my fat in my face / hips and love handles and can't seem to ever get rid of it.

Here are some stats

Height: 5'11
Weight: 195
Lean mass: 158
Body fat: 18%

BMR: roughly 2000 cals
Training: 5-6 days a week

Cardio: 40min fasted cardio daily for 6 days each week. Sunday off

Tabata row following each resistance day (HIIT)

Workout splits:

Day 1: chest tri
Day 2: back bi
Day 3: legs abs
Day 4: chest tri
Day 5: back bi
Day 7 and 8 rest

Typical diet

After 40 mins fasted cardio:

1/3 cup oats + scoop of protein

Meal 2: 3 whole eggs, 2 whites, 2 cup spinach (about an hour after shake)

Meal 3: can of tuna, 6 oz sweet potato

Meal 4:(pre workout): scoop of whey + 1/3cup oats

Meal 5: (post workout) scoop of whey + 30g dextrose

Meal 6: 6 oz lean meat (chicken / turkey etc), 1/2 cup brown rice / broccoli

This puts me at roughly:

140g carbs
85g fat
200g protein

Supplementation:

Fat burner (pre fasted cardio)
Whey
BCAA
Stim free pre workout
kre-alkaline
Dextrose (post w/o only)
ZMA before bed

I have been doing this routine for about 3 weeks now with a 300-400 calorie deficit

I'm not really noticing anything fat loss wise, or any changes on the scale. I build mass VERY easily when I'm bulking. I am a mesomorph, always have been.

Any advice or critiques would help.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andrejb

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:32:47 AM »

Feel free to chime in!

K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

I suspect that the lack of replies is because it’s very hard to give what is effectively blind advice.

Your diet and routine “appear” fine, however without actually seeing how effective you train or how you prepare your food it really is difficult to guide you.

The only way to know what is and isn’t working for you will be to stick to the plan (to the letter) for a month and note results. Keep an open mind and consider that it isn’t always about removing calories and sometimes just adjusting the macro percentage breakdown can help.
Aim for linear progression – gradual improvement in your gym sessions which can come from more reps, more weight, longer time under tension or any combination of these.
Ignoring the neural adaptions if you can lift 20kg more on your squat for 10 reps after a month then you’re likely forcing your muscles to adapt and grow. Same applies to the rest of your body.
Although not strictly as simple as this, but if you can bench press 150kg for 10 reps at your bodyweight you're likely to have a huge upper body.
Progress for naturals is VERY slow, there’s no getting away from that, but the rewards are huge!

In my opinion you could afford to drop the protein a little and up and the carbs to keep you fueled for the gym and cardio.

Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »

Hey buddy Im always interested in how athletes get on when it comes to body composition Im not on the forum all the time but I will check in now and again.

At glance your calories look low for your stats.

I am 5'7 and compete around the 70kg mark and I only drop to 2000kcals at the very end of a diet.

I think if you lowered the protein a little and the fat you would find you could eat more carbs and get lean on higher cals.

Just my two cents.

Mac

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:53:12 AM »

Is that you in the pic? you don't look 18% BF how are you measuring it?

I think your calories are to low, at 195lbs id be looking at least 2400 cals a day (on low end) especially with the amount your training!

I think your Protein and fat consumption is ok and id increase carbs to hit calories.
andrejb

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

I suspect that the lack of replies is because it’s very hard to give what is effectively blind advice.

Your diet and routine “appear” fine, however without actually seeing how effective you train or how you prepare your food it really is difficult to guide you.

The only way to know what is and isn’t working for you will be to stick to the plan (to the letter) for a month and note results. Keep an open mind and consider that it isn’t always about removing calories and sometimes just adjusting the macro percentage breakdown can help.
Aim for linear progression – gradual improvement in your gym sessions which can come from more reps, more weight, longer time under tension or any combination of these.
Ignoring the neural adaptions if you can lift 20kg more on your squat for 10 reps after a month then you’re likely forcing your muscles to adapt and grow. Same applies to the rest of your body.
Although not strictly as simple as this, but if you can bench press 150kg for 10 reps at your bodyweight you're likely to have a huge upper body.
Progress for naturals is VERY slow, there’s no getting away from that, but the rewards are huge!

In my opinion you could afford to drop the protein a little and up and the carbs to keep you fueled for the gym and cardio.

Turns out I was signed out on my phone and not seeing these replies. Thanks for the advice And warm welcome I appreciate it. I feel like my carbs are so low because my classic bro science mind is kicking in and saying "carbs are bad carbs are bad". Everyone saying up the carbs sounds like a trick being played on me hahahaha. But if that is the case id love to! It's difficult for me to fathom the idea that more carbs and calories = quicker fat shed. I really gotta familiarize myself more with he modern fat loss techniques!

andrejb

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »

Hey buddy Im always interested in how athletes get on when it comes to body composition Im not on the forum all the time but I will check in now and again.

At glance your calories look low for your stats.

I am 5'7 and compete around the 70kg mark and I only drop to 2000kcals at the very end of a diet.

I think if you lowered the protein a little and the fat you would find you could eat more carbs and get lean on higher cals.

Just my two cents.

Thank you! Just like I told everyone else I'm always so concerned with going too high with calories because in my mind the less calories I consume and more I burn the better. Sheer bro science and ignorance on my part. I'll up the carbs and cals and report back with an update in a few weeks! I seem to be losing weight by the scale. But not by the appearance! Cheers!

andrejb

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »

Is that you in the pic? you don't look 18% BF how are you measuring it?

I think your calories are to low, at 195lbs id be looking at least 2400 cals a day (on low end) especially with the amount your training!

I think your Protein and fat consumption is ok and id increase carbs to hit calories.

That is me in the photo! I used a bod pod for fat %! I store all of my fat mainly in my thighs and lower back. I've always had a solid set of abs even as a kid. When I hit 235 while playing ball I still had visible abs. Just good genetics I reckon

andrejb

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 07:47:18 AM »

This was taken later this evening before my lift. Feeling pretty flat right now. Usually i feel fuller and look fuller

My bathroom lighting is also the least flattering

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements