August 24, 2019, 09:03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you season your food.  (Read 5875 times)
ChopperTheDog

« on: September 22, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »

Has anyone got any good tips on how to make your food taste appealing whilst still keeping the calories down.
Obviously we have salt and pepper but how do you add moisture whilst avoiding olive oil etc.
thanks
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »

What do you need to add moisture to? Perhaps re-evalute how you're cooking

Paprika, Thai/Chinese seasonings from Tesco are great
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »

I use Gym Chef seasonings, lemon juice, lime juice, herbs and spices (fresh and dried).

Cooking method/temperature might help too
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

Lemon juice, nice one, forgot about lemon juice. Just trying to make chicken and rice a bit more appealing, I make some brown pasta and chicken the other day that seem really dry. I'm very new to calorie counting so I've got loads of refining to do, just trying to get a basic plan to stick to whilst I do my tweaking. Thanks for the advice guys
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »

Loads of things won't add much to your calories and can be added to rice/pasta meals - tinned tomato, quark, (or other low-cal/low-fat dairy), chopped spinach. Prawns go well with rice dishes, nice and juicy. Unless you hate prawns I suppose. TBH I find if I prep my chicken so it's not really dry, then my meals are fine.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 06:35:48 AM »

Chicken - smoked paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper.
Potatoes - sea salt.
Sweet potatoes - sea salt, Smoked Paprika and garlic powder.
Steak - garlic powder and sea salt.
King prawns I rub in garlic puree, lemon juice and salt or if no lemon juice then smoked paprika.
And I do a curry where I fry onions then toast an array of curry spices, with them, throw in the chicken and pick up all the spices, chopped cherry tomatoes in, then 200ml water and more spices and finish cooking the chicken. Then take it all out, turn it up and reduce the sauce so just thick, lumps back in and you have a curry with no extra cals. Spinach is a great addition to that.

I put a tiny bit of olive oil on all of it and factored it in to my consistency from the start.

But, it's all in the bay you cook things. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are wedges. Steak must be griddled or barbecued correctly. Chicken should be butterflyed before cooking so that it cooks quicker and more evenly and there's no dry patches.

Don't overcook anything! Get a digital meat thermometer (I like Salter) and you will never overcook out of concern again. Chefs use them, so should you. I now know when chicken is done perfectly by pressure but by use of thermometer for a long time.

And never cut meat open to check if it's done. You lose all the juices before it cools and that gives you the dry meat. Cook it just long enough, check it with a thermometer and let it rest.

That's the key to tasty food. Then all you need is a slight seasoning.

Oh and Nandos sauce is a Godsend for low cal flavour and moisture. Go mild though as although we can all handle hot, it's the moisture you want so you want a lot of sauce!

Fried onions and mushrooms with chicken, nandos and salsa tastes like a kebab shop and adds very few cals.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »

Nice one, cheers lads. I was starting to think I was going to have to take my food like medicine forever.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »

Have you got a George Foreman grill? They're amazing to cook chicken on. So juicy and tender, I know when I used to stick it in the oven it was hard to keep the moisture and not make it dry
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »

Basically - learn to cook Wink
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 10:03:51 PM »

Sounds like a plan, I'm getting the hang of all this now, just got to spend the rest of my life streamlining it.
I wish I'd looked into all this 20 years ago, I used to train a lot, do lots of cardio, have a protein shake after training, drink beer most days, eat what I wanted and then wonder why I could never get my abs to show. Cheers lads
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »

I have a few links below which may be helpful

I use the blow seasonings, mix with a touch of oil and lemon juice to make a paste and brush on chicken. I get big breasts and they take 25 minutes to cook

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/active-seasonings.html

I also penned an article a while back that you might like

http://www.gymprofessor.com/diet/don-t-spoil-the-broth-food-prep-made-easy/

ChopperTheDog

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »

Nice one, cheers lads.
I pretty much eating the same things every day now so tweaking it all here and there with the herbs, spices and sauces is really helpfull.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements