June 25, 2019, 04:34:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any benefit to eating more often  (Read 5773 times)
ChopperTheDog

« on: September 23, 2016, 11:07:52 PM »

At the moment I'm consuming my calories over 6 meals with them getting smaller as the day goes on. I make my days food the night before so I could just half them all and in theory eat 12 meals a day every hour on the hour. Is there any benefit to this or do you sometimes benefit from a larger meal in one hit.
Thanks
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »

The science points towards 3-5 protein rich meals per day, spread out across. The day, there's no metabolic or protein synthesis benefits to eating more often than that, it does depend on how many kcals you consume

So it doesn't really matter , I would suggest 3 meals hitting a decent amount of protein at each and snack in between if you want to. Make it convenient and something you can follow for years to come without it having an impact in life.

It also depends on how many kcals you consume if you eat 3000kcals per day your probably better eating 4-5 meals if it's 5000 5-6 would still be big meals, if it's only 2000 it wouldn't make sense eating 6 tiny meals, I would go with 3-4

If you wanna learn more about he myths and science behind meal frequency check out layne norton
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

It doesnt matter as long as you hit maros/calories at the end of the day
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »

As Ben says there are no metabolic or protein synthesis increases for eating more often.

However if Im dieting and on low kcals I do like to eat regular because it means you dont have to wait too long and deal with that hungry feeling for long periods as thats what will more than likely make you crack or mess your diet up.

By the same token if your eating to grow and want to consume a lot of calories you might manage with more meals if you dont like to eat so much in one sitting.

You may not have time to eat 5/6 meals so perhaps 3 large meals and the odd shake or snack in between is better.

You might prefer to eat 3 large meals and feel that gastric stretch and feel really full rather than a little one that doesnt fill you up too much.

Like many things in this game it depends on goals and preferences and finding what suits you.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »

Thanks, I'm trying to get my body fat under the magic 10% at the moment and also getting used to calorie counting, it's amazing how many useless calories you consume when your not paying attention as I recently found out after tracking them for a bit.
I'm currently 18% body fat, 37 years old and 75kg. I've been eating 2800 kcal a day,
1:800kcals
2:360kcals
3:600kcals
4:360kcals
5:600kcals
6:80kcals (protein shake about 9pm)

After reading some relevant posts on here I think I'm consuming to many calories so will adjust this asap.
I was under the impression that eating small and often sped up your metabolism (don't even know if that's possible, just repeating stuff I've heard from other people who don't know much)
Thanks
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »

That speed up your metabolism thing is an old myth thathas lingered its pretty much been disproved with science but I still do it for the reasons mentioned above I dont like waiting to long to eat again so why not.  Grin
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »

I thought it might be.
Dan94

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »

For me, key to cutting/dieting is consume calories when you're hungry. I'm barely hungry in the mornings, so I tend to just have a protein shake or nothing in the mornings, then have my first meal around 1pm at work. This then enables me to have more calories during the evening when I like to snack watching the TV or whatever when I'm more hungry
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »

I like your style there Dan, I don't have much of an appetite first thing but I'm usually thinking (probably wrongly) that it's better to get everything moving asap, most of the time I'll have some warm water and lemon juice straight away and then train as I have to train in the morning then I'll try and have my biggest meal of the day even though my body still ain't ready for it.
I suppose I need to retrain my brain a bit and not feel the need to ram it in straight after training.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »

So does that mean the no carbs after 6pm is rubbish as well. Would you say it makes no difference as long as the days macros are correct.
Dan94

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »

So does that mean the no carbs after 6pm is rubbish as well. Would you say it makes no difference as long as the days macros are correct.

Yes mate it really doesn't matter. Just hit your macros Smiley
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »

Now that really is good news. Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements