March 20, 2019, 11:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: NPA Britain 2016  (Read 22145 times)
Smithey

"I get knocked down but I get up again".

Email
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »

Masters Over 40s

1.Chris Fortune
2.Nige Atkinson
3.Gus Fisher
4.Pete Gawtry
5.Ian Stevenson.
6.Adrian Hampton.
7.Darren Stephens.

Trained Figures Over 40s

1.Julia Hubbard.
2.Sue Underdown.
3.Sandie Andrew.
4.Debbie Schofield.
5.Vanessa Harbar.
6.Elesa Zehndorfer.

Juniors Under 21s

1.Daniel Redmond.
2.Andrew Abraham.
3.Will Cayless.
4.Ashley Healey.

Masters Over 50s

1.Richard Walker.
2.John Madourie.
3.Wesley Clarke.
4.Andy Cowling.
5.Massimo Poli.
6.Roy Vaughan.
7.Courtney Smith, Charlie McKee and Paul Thorpe
Disqualified Simon Woodham-Owen polygraph failure.

Masters Over 60s

1.Lloyd Stewart.
2.Denton Wilson.

Ladies Physique
1.Yvette Arthur.
2.Tara Leyden.
3.Karen Gunson.
4.Lauren Davis.
5.Maria Baptiste.

Disability.

1.Josh Goodfellow.
2.Jacob Somerset

Overall Men's Champion

Samuel  Watt

Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »

What was the deal with the guest poser comedian guy? I saw a pic - I don't get it...?
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »

What was the deal with the guest poser comedian guy? I saw a pic - I don't get it...?

Yeah, the TV company asked me to let him appear the HoE.  I felt it would have made a bit of a mockery of what we were trying to achieve and would be a bit disrespectful to the competitors so said no.  I thought nothing else of it as they said their production deadline was the weekend of the HoE so figured the idea would die a death.  Shame it didn't.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:01:42 PM »

Thanks Smithey Smiley

And Jester....yeah...I've only heard the vague details and seen one pic but that was my initial reaction. Making (literally) a joke out of an actual British Finals? Erm....
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »

I watched your class Smithey via someone's live vid, you looked great mate and your class like pretty much all of them was very tough.

Have a safe ride back mate Smiley
Dawn

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »

Yeah, the TV company asked me to let him appear the HoE.  I felt it would have made a bit of a mockery of what we were trying to achieve and would be a bit disrespectful to the competitors so said no.  I thought nothing else of it as they said their production deadline was the weekend of the HoE so figured the idea would die a death.  Shame it didn't.

Huh I can't "like" your post Lee but totally agree. No wonder many can't take us serious. Just hope the outcome is better than its looking to be!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »

Plus on top of that, it is now on social media as the talking point, what is being shared and will be the memory of the show - this famous comedian on the stage doing a routine. Diverting the attention and glory away from people who worked their backsides of and should be the focus of a national championship
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 03:55:50 AM »

through only social media comments I can see Sam watt won the heavies and overall- best npa heavyweight ever? Probably up there with the best of them!
Dan lampard came third in the heavies- have always liked his physique since my junior days and great to see him place so well at the final.

Looking forward to seeing final results list.

Another battle going on since my first year in the sport is denton and Lloyd- and here they are 9 years on still the main men! Great stuff. What a record Chris fortune is building up too.

Final comment on the results list- fantastic the disability class has taken off. I saw one of the athletes post their routine on Facebook. I don't know either of these guys personally but whatever adversity they face, it is hard enough to prep for a show without other barriers so I have tremendous respect for what they have achieved today. I hope this class grows in the wake of paraolympic sporting success for the uk.
Badger

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »

Looking at the results and using my numerous sources of information it was really good to see Michael Shuen and AJ in the novices battling it out for top spot. I have been on stage with both of them and AJ had tightened up quite a lot and it seems was just well big to beat on the day. Michy has a fantastic structure and condition though and will be a devastating lightweight when he chooses to do that class, likewise for AJ in heavies.

I don't know who took the overall Figure but Emma Somers would of definitely been in with a shout having won her class. I have seen her compete and would put her as the best figure girl I have seen this season.

It's great to see a Richard Walker take the Masters, we have been around the same shows all year and have had some good chats, his ethos and training style are very similar to how I like to approacht he sport and he brings his best conditioing to the stage every time.

In the middles it always seemed to be the case Sam Slack would be very hard to beat as he has great symmetry, Gordon Greenhorn though who I have seen in powerlifting a lot over the last few years had a level of hamstring and lover back development that it seems only some very heavy lifting can give you. Really good physique.

For the heavies I think it was always going to be the Sam Watt show and he looked complete in every area, Dan Lampard was shredded as well so must of pushed him but when a competitor is so overwhelmingly developed as Sam is then it's always going to be and uphill battle. Daniel Mucha took a well deserved placing and I hop e he goes onto battle Sam again at the UKDFBA.

In my class Stephen looked phenomenal as did Peter Garay (we are local to each other so next year will be out competing as a team in lightweights). I would of been confident going into that class that I would of been right there being compeititive so watching it was very exciting for what's to come. Massive well done to Steven Cheng who looked on the money as was in great nick.

The disability class is a very classy move and it would be an excellent step to see this adopted everywhere. I have been talking with Jake on social media and we spent quite a bit of time backstage at the MWC and his love for the sport is enormous. He took a lot of confidence from being on stage that day and I think gave everyone including me a tacit reminder that all bodybuilding really is about is setting a goal and completing it.

On a final note Bill Murray once said "they should have a normal person competing in every Olympics for reference", well the guest poser certainly fulfilled that role! I think really there is a lot to be said for not taking yourself too seriously.. We are standing on stage in shiny pants and painted brown after all  Cheesy Grin
ben-howard

WNBF Pro

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »

Micky Flanagan is a funny guy, great comedian, not sure what this was about though? If it was for a good cause, charity, illness awareness etc then fair play! If not, and being there just to make a mockery of bodybuilding and try and show the public how "weird ad self obsessed" we are then that's a damned shame!  But I'm sure MJP wouldn't have agreed to have Mikey guest pose at his biggest show unless there was a very good cause that would be well worth any negativity from this.

Gave me a few ideas for my next routine anyway!
Dawn

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

Plus on top of that, it is now on social media as the talking point, what is being shared and will be the memory of the show - this famous comedian on the stage doing a routine. Diverting the attention and glory away from people who worked their backsides of and should be the focus of a national championship

I seem to have missed all this being discussed prior to the event. What was the point of it in the first place?
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »

I don't know who took the overall Figure but Emma Somers would of definitely been in with a shout having won her class. I have seen her compete and would put her as the best figure girl I have seen this season.

Emma won Figure tall. Lucy Walton Figure short. Julia Hubbard Masters Figure.

Then Lucy won the over all.

As for the comedian guy.... yes I'm sure he's funny but I don't think it's appropriate/funny to have as a guest poser. I'm sure others will have their opinion. For me, it "makes a mockery" of the competitors' hard work and the fact that it's the pinnacle of their season. And I'm not sure it sends out a brilliant message to the Great British Public. "Look at the funny bodybuilders painting themselves orange and pumping their biceps on stage! LOL!" People already think that...
Glen Danbury

fuelled by EQ nutrition

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »

Its definitely unusual.

If you look quite a few sports get this comedian treatment - only have to look at a league of their own etc. Quite a few sports get a bit of ribbing.

Is this just because it cuts to close to the bone?
Badger

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »

Its definitely unusual.

If you look quite a few sports get this comedian treatment - only have to look at a league of their own etc. Quite a few sports get a bit of ribbing.

Is this just because it cuts to close to the bone?

Lol!

When Kevin Hart was teaching Anthony Joshua how to box did the boxing community get up in arms??  Grin

The problem that makes bodybuilding such an alienated sport is that it takes itself so seriously all the time. It's called a bodybuilding "show" at the  end of the day.. Now you don't get a sprinting "show" which in my eyes points to it being it at the very least having an entertainment element.

I haven't heard a single competitor from the show so much as mention having a problem with it and for all the friends and family that went they would of it least had some comedic value while waiting for their loved ones to compete Smiley
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »

Time and a place for it. I do not recall Kevin Hart getting in the ring with AJ and taking the piss before the Breazeale fight.

As I have already said, people have just won British titles and instead, instead of my newsfeed buzzing with that, it has videos and pictures of this guest "pose".

We should all be able to laugh at ourselves and I frankly detest how seriously people can take themselves, something that is rife in this sport. However, a British Finals is not the right place or time for this.

Does MJP really know why they did it? What the show is about? What light they will be presented in? The rest of the editorial content of the show? Of course not. He may have read out a piece of paper from the production company but has no way of knowing what their real intentions are and how they will show the sport. They are hardly going to tell him that it is going to be used in a show that takes the piss out of our sport and is designed to make us look like a bunch of twats.

How often have we all heard of people being shown in a bad light on the TV and obviously they did not know it would be edited that way? Jesus there are tens of shows everyday making people look stupid and not one of them would have known it was going to be edited that way.

He may be lucky, it may be a great show, however the point is that he is running the risk and opened us to being mocked and there is a difference between being lighthearted and not taking ourselves seriously and being outright mocked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements