March 26, 2019, 11:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: NPA Britain 2016  (Read 22189 times)
MJB

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »

Doubtless I'll be going against the grain here, but for me, personally speaking of course, the whole 'Guest Poser' segment of any bodybuilding show is a non-entity, a turn off and a bore, and will inevitably be the interlude I'll use to escape to the loo or have a chat. The guest poser could be the overall winner from the previous week or a 5 time world champion - my thoughts would be the same - couldn't care less. Having watched the competitors themselves posing their hearts out for a number of hours, just simply seeing more of the same (under the guise of a star turn, so to speak) just doesn't excite me.

My point though is this. If MJP was attempting to think outside the box and offer something 'different' at the NPA's showcase event for the sake of variety if nothing else, that I commend him for that at least. Had I been there, then I certainly would have stayed in my seat to see what unfolded. Perhaps a trick was missed in not getting Flannagan to do an additional 10 minutes of stand-up for the audience. Now for me, that would be putting on a show.

I'm guessing the fact that a few people are making reference to him as 'The Comic guy' etc, means that they'd never previously heard of him or knew him from Adam until yesterday. Perhaps if it had been a 'bigger name' in the entertainment industry; maybe a Ricky Gervais or David Walliams for example up on stage doing the same, then there potentially might not be that same level of negativity with people accepting it for what it was - a bit of fun?

It remains to be seen how the performance will be edited and ultimately presented and on what level the 'mockery' will be delivered; but yes - it's pretty safe to assume that it won't be anything other than poking fun at the sport! The guy's a comedian with a penchant for sarcasm for goodness sake! Smiley
Jon Bibb

2011 Mike Williams Classic Masters Champion

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »

The competitors and audience seemed to love the guest spot judging by the response on social media. I personally think it's great to do something different and get some publicity but will reserve final judgement until I see the programme. Think this is just a case of more fed bashing from the usual suspects  Roll Eyes Interesting to see Simon Woodham-Owen failed the polygraph,very sad really but a good think that he was caught-well done NPA and Forensic Vetting.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »

Always a shame in some ways to get a failure but also a testament to decent polygraphing. I spent a good hour + in the room at the NPA Midlands and it was very thorough.

OOC testing and top quality polygraphing are great tools.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

Always a shame in some ways to get a failure but also a testament to decent polygraphing. I spent a good hour + in the room at the NPA Midlands and it was very thorough.

OOC testing and top quality polygraphing are great tools.

Exactly this
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »

The competitors and audience seemed to love the guest spot judging by the response on social media. I personally think it's great to do something different and get some publicity but will reserve final judgement until I see the programme. Think this is just a case of more fed bashing from the usual suspects  Roll Eyes Interesting to see Simon Woodham-Owen failed the polygraph,very sad really but a good think that he was caught-well done NPA and Forensic Vetting.

When one is complimenting a fed, it's ignored or just accepted but when we say a negative, it's fed bashing ?

I could say the usual suspects blindly defend a fed they have bias towards but that would be rude.

Didn't notice I stood up for the npa last week on another thread I guess. Just because one is not scared to point out mistakes, if we feel they deserved it does not make us a fed basher but just not scared to be honest with praise and criticism. Someone who never criticises, well I think that is open to just being defensive but not always being accurate in their postings
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »

No "fed bashing" from me. I'd be thinking and saying exactly the same if it had been UKDFBA or BNBF who had done it. Or for that matter UKBFF, NABBA or any independent show.

I just don't agree with it and think it was a dick move.

As an aside, I've just got back from training and a former ANB World Champ & WNBF Pro who trains there came up to me specifically to ask "what the F is this about some comedian doing the guest spot at NPA Finals?" Her opinion was that it was "disrespectful" (to the competitors).
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 03:11:22 PM »

Someone mentioned David Walliams. That reminded me of when he swam the Channel. I was also training down in Dover that year (for a different swim) and I remember him being at great pains to assure us that he would only ever reflect our little niche sport in a good light, that he wasn't here to take the piss, and that he wanted to support and champion us. There were a few people who were worried that he was going to turn it into a circus (maybe do his version of the Victoria Wood sketch?!)
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »

It's definitely a divisive move, G and I were discussing it and she didn't like it and reminded me that had I been depleted and suffered my balls off then I wouldn't have found it amusing. She is right to be fair, when I am fat I am the Budha of peace and when dieting I c an be a bit more reactive..so I can understand where differing views come from.
Dawn

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

I watched part of the clip this morning. MJP rightly refused him to stand on the stage in a class. Apparently the guy wanted to "walk the walk" of a natural bodybuilder....well in that case, he needs to train and diet to see exactly what it's like, he's not achieved what he set out to do!!
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/07/19/25331/new_tour_and_tv_series_for_micky_flanagan
Jon Bibb

2011 Mike Williams Classic Masters Champion

Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 05:48:02 PM »

When one is complimenting a fed, it's ignored or just accepted but when we say a negative, it's fed bashing ?

I could say the usual suspects blindly defend a fed they have bias towards but that would be rude.

Didn't notice I stood up for the npa last week on another thread I guess. Just because one is not scared to point out mistakes, if we feel they deserved it does not make us a fed basher but just not scared to be honest with praise and criticism. Someone who never criticises, well I think that is open to just being defensive but not always being accurate in their postings
Surely,a fed is responsible to it's members and supporters who seem to have enjoyed it ? You could say 'the usual suspects blindly defending a fed they have bias towards' but this usual suspect actively supports other feds so that would not be entirely true would it Wink If Mickey had come onstage with competitors then I would have disagreed to but I think a bit of light hearted entertainment and micky taking (sorry Grin) is not a bad think at all. At least we all agree about the drug testing  Kiss 
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »

Surely,a fed is responsible to it's members and supporters who seem to have enjoyed it ? You could say 'the usual suspects blindly defending a fed they have bias towards' but this usual suspect actively supports other feds so that would not be entirely true would it Wink If Mickey had come onstage with competitors then I would have disagreed to but I think a bit of light hearted entertainment and micky taking (sorry Grin) is not a bad think at all. At least we all agree about the drug testing  Kiss 

Loyalty is a good quality and one that should be admired. But sometimes in life it can cloud judgement which is a natural instinct and reaction when one is emotionally connected to something.

Anyway, can we have a full result listing and then we can discuss the show. From my social media searching I was impressed by Rich Walker more than any other competitor. He brings great condition and I am hugely pleased he has a British title to his name, really deserves it. Well done to Sam Watt on another overall win, three on the bounce is a bloody good effort, he carries a mountain of muscle. I thought the lightweight winner was decent, been watching that chap for a while. Ditto Sam Slack although I have seen him look better previously, looked a little over dieted maybe. Not sure if Lucy Walton, a WNBF pro (yes a slightly different class) should be on the stage at an amateur show, ditto Tshala (who has got condition wrong for once, unusual for him).

But a few classes looked not as impressive as I have witnessed previously and there did not seem to be the quality in depth that I would expect at a final. A fair few third placings were quite soft.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

Full results anyone?

I would ask on the NPA FB page but all my posts get deleted despite the fact I have never said anything negative on there and I wouldn't. I made my points about how Philips runs the federation and stand by them even if the tone was harder than one would have liked on reflection. I do think he is disorganised and lets competitors down. He cannot answer what I said and my list about things he has done that are inconsiderate. But that was all written here, not on social media. Although this forum is open, it is not heavily used by the community.

Even a post I wrote congratulating everyone on raising money for charity was deleted. Seems MJP likes to run a censorship and dictatorship. And lives in the land of believing that because people do not complain to his face, that everyone is happy. Daft man. People complain and bitch all the time but are too scared of falling foul ala Damon to risk saying anything.

In life and business, I listen to the critics more than the arse kissing people. I may not agree with the critics but I often find that is where the secret of learning what we are doing right and how we are perceived is found.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »

I'm not sure what's going on with the NPA page Toby - I had a post deleted (or disappeared?) yesterday too. All it said was "congrats, great stuff!" (or similar) on the post about money raised for charity, so I can for one moment think it caused upset and needed to be deleted. And to my knowledge I've never "fed-bashed" the NPA.

So... who knows!  Roll Eyes

ETA - just read your post properly - my comment was on the same thread.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 10:07:51 PM »

So he has decided to censor accredited members of the press?

Basically stamping all over my right to freedom of expression.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements