February 23, 2019, 03:31:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooked whole chicken  (Read 6878 times)
Groovemaster

« on: October 19, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »

So I don't bother with bulk chicken breasts anymore and usually cook a whole chicken and get 5 meals for 3.60..

Seen these today.. 0.4kg difference but thats cooked weight for 4! After ditching the dextrose covered skin its surely a win win with no hassle cooking for an extra 40p!

Anyone had these? Bought today 19th.. and bag says expiry 26th! Hoping to get at least 4 meals to cover a main meal a day for 4 days although it says eat within 2 days  Lips sealed

[attachment expired]
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »

Get yourself down the supermarket at the right time and get a rotisserie chicken for silly money just as they're closing the section.
Groovemaster

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »

Yeah I've seen them but always dubious as they are the ones that have sat there all day. Thought these would have been cooked and chilled and packed asap
Mac

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »

I tend to just stick with Cost-co chicken breasts brought in bulk, cheap and tasty and ill just cook up a tray for the week.

Cant see anything wrong with a whole chicken other then its hard to track macros due to the different meat cuts i.e thighs vs breasts etc
Groovemaster

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »

My local butchers does 5kg chicken breast for 20, roughly 20/22 breast but its a pain bagging freezing defrosting cooking! Theres simialr macros for a full cooked chicken on a few sites with slightly less protein and couple of grams of fat but im not too bothered as longs its an average
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

I don't mind spending a bit of money on chicken breasts. Just makes it nice and simple.

I do love to feast on a chicken though. I try to avoid the skin but some slips through! I wouldn't worry about dextrose if rubbing and cooking myself but yeah, it's more difficult when buying a cooked one. In fact you've made me want one now.

Anyone know the rough macro or calorie content of a medium chicken? Full breasts, thighs, drumsticks, wings, under belly soft bits, neck meat, skin, the lot? Must add up.
Groovemaster

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »

Think i read somewhere that nandos full/half chickens have calories on their menus for a rough estimate.. iv just gone by the nutrition on the bag- 100g 135cals 19.9p 6.1fat
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »

My sister did a couple of roast chickens for us all on Sunday, she used these "chicken in a bag" things from Aldi. Whole chicken in an oven-ready bag, you just put the whole thing in the oven then cut the top off the "bag" for the final bit of cooking to crisp it up. At 3 or so (!) I was dubious but quality seemed fine. Can't speak to the origin or welfare....
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:45:26 PM »

Now here's something I can comment on. A whole chicken lasts me 2 days, I strip everything off it, the dog gets every thing I don't want like the skin and gristle so he's happy and all the bones go in the slow cooker for 24hr to make a broth which I use for gravy and sometimes boil my rice in it as it's full of really good stuff to keep your immune system up. I know the breasts will have less fat than the rest of the chicken and I ain't worked out the macros yet as I'm living on 2500 calories a day a still losing weight so I've let it slide.
I only buy organic chicken (don't mean to sound like a dick) as I don't want the antibiotics they give all other chickens  throughout thier lives as the worst thing you can do with antibiotics is have a little bit of them, also the other chickens contain more water and I'm sure the fact that they are raised and pumped out so quick  means the meat won't  be as good and will contain less protein.
I would love to know the macros per 100g of a whole chicken without the skin as well.
Probably not much help to anybody but I do love my chicken and just wanted to shout about it. 
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:31 PM »

Bodybuilders' dogs have the best lives! Cheesy
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »

I once heard a whole chicken (meat no skin) was about 1000 cals. Which is probably right. Doesn't matter how it goes in if it's consistent over 2 days, every 2 days. Consistency is key in the absence of numbers.

I've had one of those Nic but from morrisons. It was really moist and had great stuffing!
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »

Nice one, that's what I was after really. I just pull it apart and weigh it out as I go so it will be mixed as in white and dark meat. I have been using the nutritional value of chicken breast when working out my macros and have been doing well but I'm down to 13%bf now from 18% and my progress is slowing a little so will probably have to start working it out more precise soon.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »

Well, calorie numbers don't matter if you eat the same thing every single day and already know how it's affecting you. You can adjust weights and measures when needed. It only matters so much when changing foods either regularly or switching up the routine for other foods.

Meanwhile, looking to go under a genuine 13%, I'd actually be looking to go more mathematic actually no specific than 'a chicken' perhaps purchase breasts and skinless/boneless thighs instead and mit it up. At least you'll know. They're about 30-0-3 and 22-0-6 grams of protein, carbs and fats per 100g respectively.
ChopperTheDog

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »

Thanks, I think I will have to do as you say and get very precise now. I bulk buy salmon steaks in macro because they are all 150g and boil in the bag and cook the chickens then either have 200g of chicken (mixed white and dark meat) or a salmon steak with my 300g of brown rice and loads of salad for lunch. For breakfast I have 1 and 1/2 scoops of protein, 70g of oats, 100g banana, 10g of almonds and 10g of walnuts. I have a small orange and apple for snack. Then I'm left with a 1000 calories for dinner and I have whatever the family are having whilst swapping potatoes for sweet potatoes or chips for brown rice but dinner is mostly guesstimated calorie wise. I've been losing bf % at a steady rate since I started at 18%bf. I've lost some strength as well but assumed this would happen a bit. Now my progress is starting to slow although still moving I think I might have to start having the same dinners every day with exact macros. I was thinking that once I go under 10% I will start adding 200 cals a day each week until I notice I feel energised for my workouts and  my bf going up and then I will know my sweet spot to maintain. What do you reckon? I'm assuming stuff as I'm still pretty new to this but this site has been a god send so any advice is always welcome. Sorry to go off topic. Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements