April 18, 2019, 07:59:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carb utilisation opinions  (Read 3948 times)
grecian

owenthorogood@hotmail.com
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »

Hello folks, what's the general consensus on carb utilisation in terms of for instance, if I'm training legs do I get the benefit from a high carb intake the day before or on the training day?
Mac

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »

I always base my carbs around training. I've read about both methods but to me it makes sense to utilise carbs when they are needed, I need energy for an intense workout and that's exactly what carbs provide.

Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »

I'd say it only matters if you deplete at other times. If they're consistently moderate then you won't need extra. Unless you have a sporting or lifting competition.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »

I never get any extra energy by having a lot of carbs. My foods the same most days and I have some treats at the weekend or on special occasions.
grecian

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

Thanks for your responses, appreciate your thoughts on this.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

It depends a little on the speed of digestion of the carb source and what your typical energy expenditure is like. For example, if you do a massive leg session on a Friday, the carbs you eat on Thursday will still be there for Friday (assuming you've a fairly sedentary job). However, some of the carbs you eat on Friday may not have digested (and 'be' glycogen in the muscles) by the time you train.

grecian

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

Thanks Si, appreciate your advice.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »

I think unless you are doing some sort of carb cycling, then the glycogen stores in the muscles would be fairly consistent.  Also the type of carbs, by which I mean the GI level will depend on their absorption speeds greatly.  Simple sugars will be absorbed very quickly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements