March 19, 2019, 02:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: advice for a newbie training to compete at 39 years old  (Read 4570 times)
Bmatt77

« on: January 06, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »

Hi,
Over the last 3 months I have massively reduced my body fat through a strict clean eating plan and kettlebell training. I have attached my photos.
I have stopped with the girly kettlebells and started lifting on a 5 day split with 3 twenty minute sessions of hiit cardio too. I am training for a transformation category competition but dont know when I will be at a good standard. I have sorted my macros and I have good discipline for training and nutrition. Has anyone got any advice for me please. I am looking at the body transformation category first as I have never done anything like this before (must be a midlife crisis!!!!) After the body transformation I will be looking at training to compete in over 40s natural bodybuilding. I have a coach who competes at bodybuilding and she is sorting the training plans and nutrition for me. Is it hard to get in to natural bodybuilding when 40 years old? how high are the standards. Can anyone give me a rough guestimate on how long it would take me to train to competition level using my photos attached please. Thanking you in advance
Loafman

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »

I can't give you much in the way of advice, because I've only just started to get back into training after several years off (quite rusty), but it looks like you're making solid progress there. That's a good bit of fat loss for 11 weeks or so, I know I'd be happy with the progress you've made so far.

Nice work!  Cool
Bmatt77

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »

I can't give you much in the way of advice, because I've only just started to get back into training after several years off (quite rusty), but it looks like you're making solid progress there. That's a good bit of fat loss for 11 weeks or so, I know I'd be happy with the progress you've made so far.

Nice work!  Cool
Cheers mate, I'm on this big time! Have you competed before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loafman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »

No, I've never competed before. I've always been interested in weight and strength training though, and have been training on and off since my teens. I have been plagued with back problems throughout my adult life, which always seems to hinder me at the most inconvenient times.

I tend to train for a combination of strength and fitness, but have never managed (or tried hard if I'm honest) to get lean enough to compete at body building. Mind you, I feel I have never paid close enough attention to macro's, which is probably why, I feel my body would benefit from a much lower carbohydrate intake. This is something I intend to focus more on now, just to see where it takes me.  Smiley

My macro breakdown was often carb rich, around 50% of calories (with not much attention to the type of carbs), with 30-35% from proteins and about 15-20% from fats. I don't think my body make-up responds well to that breakdown, so recently I have adjusted my macro's to 30% carbs (very little of which come from wheat and simple sugars etc), 35% proteins and 35% fats. I must admit, it has increased my energy levels to reasonable effect. Wish I'd paid more attention to macro's in the past!  Roll Eyes
Bmatt77

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »

No, I've never competed before. I've always been interested in weight and strength training though, and have been training on and off since my teens. I have been plagued with back problems throughout my adult life, which always seems to hinder me at the most inconvenient times.

I tend to train for a combination of strength and fitness, but have never managed (or tried hard if I'm honest) to get lean enough to compete at body building. Mind you, I feel I have never paid close enough attention to macro's, which is probably why, I feel my body would benefit from a much lower carbohydrate intake. This is something I intend to focus more on now, just to see where it takes me.  Smiley

My macro breakdown was often carb rich, around 50% of calories (with not much attention to the type of carbs), with 30-35% from proteins and about 15-20% from fats. I don't think my body make-up responds well to that breakdown, so recently I have adjusted my macro's to 30% carbs (very little of which come from wheat and simple sugars etc), 35% proteins and 35% fats. I must admit, it has increased my energy levels to reasonable effect. Wish I'd paid more attention to macro's in the past!  Roll Eyes

How hard is it to fit macros on to meal plans! It took me weeks to sort it out! Sound like you are back in the game !!!

Loafman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »

I've drawn up an excel sheet which makes working things out a lot easier. I type in my calorie requirement and macro requirements, and it tells me how much of each macro I need per day (in grams). I then type in the amount of which foods I am thinking of eating and it works out (from a database which is constantly being added to) the macro's that it will provide. I then adjust the foods and weights until I get the desired calories vs macro's. I'm thinking of writing a piece of software that will be able to make relevant and complete meal suggestions based on your requirements..
Bmatt77

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »

I've drawn up an excel sheet which makes working things out a lot easier. I type in my calorie requirement and macro requirements, and it tells me how much of each macro I need per day (in grams). I then type in the amount of which foods I am thinking of eating and it works out (from a database which is constantly being added to) the macro's that it will provide. I then adjust the foods and weights until I get the desired calories vs macro's. I'm thinking of writing a piece of software that will be able to make relevant and complete meal suggestions based on your requirements..

That would be a good piece of kit. There is nothing like it available. I've asked on loads of Fb groups but people say you need a nutritionalist. I've managed mine but stick to real simple diet to make it easier lol

Loafman

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

To be fair, if you were looking to compete in bodybuilding, I'm sure a nutritionist would be a better bet, so that you can work with them to find the best diet for your body.

If I create the software it will assume that you already know what your approximate macro breakdown is (although you could experiment by adjusting it in the software I suppose, it just may just take a while to dial it in), and will purely be a basic guide to simplify meal plans. It is more likely to be useful to people who just want to get in good shape, rather than competing, much like myself.

It will be time consuming, and a challenge to write such a program, but the thought that many people struggle with their diet plans (often leading to them giving up trying) means it will maybe help many people.. that's a big motivating factor for me to do it..  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements