January 20, 2019, 10:39:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting injuries and illness behind me..  (Read 11494 times)
Loafman

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »

For the last few days I have been feeling pants.. (ERR, NOT LITERALLY!!  Shocked ), I mean rather under the weather. I have had some sort of cold type thing which has manifested in my eyes, nose and gut. It has also made me feel tired and lethargic, so I have done very little. Although I have kept the diet clean throughout.
I am feeling a touch better today, so may do a little cardio tonight just to keep the old metabolism up a bit. Hopefully over the next day or two I will be back into doing some weights again.. I'm itching to get at it, but don't want to over exert my body while it is fighting off the virus.
Normal service will be resumed shortly!
McFly

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »

How are you getting on Loafman?  Over the lurgey and back at it I hope.
Loafman

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »

How are you getting on Loafman?  Over the lurgey and back at it I hope.

Yeah, the lurgy has packed up and left. I've had loads of work to catch up on as I didn't get a lot of that done while I was feeling rough, but I've kept the diet consistent and did some light cardio. Back to doing weights as well this week, starting with upper body this evening.

Despite having loaded with Creatine (which probably added a kilo to my weight) I am now under 90kg. I was 89.9kg last Saturday at around 7pm.. so still heading in the right direction!  Grin  Not too bad since I was 92.9kg around the 3rd of January (and 96.8kg back in November!  Shocked but that's another story!), so this year I have lost a net 3kg whilst loading with creatine (so realistically probably about 4kg or so between the 03/01/17 to 28/01/17 or 3.5 weeks)..  Smiley
McFly

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »

Good progress mate.  Nice work.

I also see the title of the journal has been changed to a slightly more positive one.  Very telling about what is clearly an improved mindset.  Kudos.
Loafman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 12:46:19 AM »

Good progress mate.  Nice work.

I also see the title of the journal has been changed to a slightly more positive one.  Very telling about what is clearly an improved mindset.  Kudos.

Yeah, it did feel a bit overly negative.. so I thought I'd lighten it up a bit.  Wink

Haven't logged on for a few days, but all is still as it should be. Diet is strict, and I'm not falling for temptation (not often anyway.. maybe a little cheat once a week or so), and training is going well. Cardio is getting a lot less difficult, so my fitness levels must be increasing.. time to up the intensity there.

I've also introduced incredibly short rest periods during weight training on every other session, to up the intensity. Did upper body last night with 20-25 second rest intervals between sets and it barely felt like I'd stopped in between. I have to say though, it really hits me good! Felt it really good this morning.  Grin
I don't manage as much overall output with the shorter rest periods, but it "feels" a lot more intense, and still gives good DOMS the next morning/day. I alternate between 20-25 second intervals one session and then around 45 seconds the next session.

I think this weekend I will introduce a heavy training day every third session or so, where I am doing 6 reps per set as opposed to the 10-12 I'm currently aiming at. Should mix things up nicely..  Smiley
Loafman

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:39 AM »

Well, it was my brothers birthday and my mums birthday over the last few days, so that was two meals out.. needless to say that it means the diet hasn't been great this weekend. But I kept it reasonably decent (ish). Been doing a little more cardio the last few days to punish myself, haha..

Hi intensity upper body tonight, feeling pretty pumped still having just eaten.

All is going well at the moment!  Cool
Loafman

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »

Well, I've been having a rather wonderful time since I last posted. I met the most amazing woman, and have been very much enjoying spending time with her. Unfortunately this has meant that the diet and exercise side of things has not been exactly great, although I've been getting a certain amount of cardio in (if you get my meaning..). I've not gained too much weight, so once I get going again I should be hitting the ground running!

Lately, my lovely lady has been expressing an interest in getting into better shape, so I have been egging her on to try and improve her diet and get some exercise going.. I am helping her with her understanding of nutrition etc. and we are now about to get on it properly!

I can't bloody wait to get things going again!
Loafman

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »

Well, I'm officially back on it, and the girlfriend has joined me. I even took some pictures yesterday, so I can visually see the progress I make.

One thing that surprised me was that I haven't gained any weight since I was last dieting, in fact I have lost some.. I'm now weighing in at 88.2kg. I suspect I've lost some muscle mass though.

I'm currently eating a very low carb diet that is high in natural fats with a moderate amount of protein. My macro split is approximately 10% of calories from carbs, all of which come from veg and a little fruit (no processed sugars or refined cards), 20% of calories from proteins, mostly eggs and unprocessed meats, and about 70% of calories from fats, mostly being meats, nuts, seeds and olive oil.

I'm also incorporating intermittent fasting, consuming around 1700 calories a day (maintenance is around 2300-2400 per day). I have my first meal at around 1-2pm, then a second meal at around 7-8pm, that's it! I then fast for around 18 hours every day.  Shocked

Some people will think this is a recipe for disaster, but I have done quite a bit of research into this and have found a lot of evidence that it will help with fat loss without having a catabolic effect. It is quite similar to what I was doing several months back, although a little more extreme, and I can confirm that what I did back then was very effective indeed, as I actually gained muscle and lost fat whilst in a calorie deficit, so I figure this slightly more aggressive regime is worth a shot! It will require some tweaking along the way, and I will need to increase calorie and protein intake once I have shed a lot of the body fat, but it's all a bit of an experiment at the moment.

I've started with some cardio, and will introduce some weights next week, once my body has adjusted a bit more to the new diet.  Smiley
Loafman

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »

I should have mentioned that I'm trying to reduce my body's insulin production by going down the keto route. I suspect insulin is the major factor that is preventing me from succeeding, and I want to remove the potential for carb cravings by reducing my dependance on insulin. I think ketosis will work well for me, especially in conjunction with intermittent fasting.

This means I am eating absolutely no carb based foods whatsoever. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (sweet or white), processed carbs or sugars etc. The only carbs I will be getting are fibrous carbs from around 750g-1kg of veg a day (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, aubergines, salad etc.) and the odd bit of fruit. for proteins and fats I will be eating around 300g of fatty meats a day too, along with some nuts, seeds and olive oil. These foods, along with 4 litres of water a day, a good multivit, omega 3 capsules and pink Himalayan salt should provide all of my macros, hydration and electrolyte/mineral requirements.

Grin
Loafman

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »

I've now been doing the keto diet and intermittent fasting for about 10 days now. I feel my body has adjusted really well to it, and am pretty much past the stage of craving carbs and sweet foods. I've only been eating around 1000-1100 calories a day so far, the reason being is the types of foods have a very high satiety level, and my body is not requiring any more than this at the moment due to it using my body fat as a fuel source.

Over the last few days I have reduced my eating window to 4 hours per day, 5pm to 9pm, incorporating two meals (one at about 5pm and one at about 9pm of course). This really does leave me feeling full for around 16-18 hours, with only the last 2 hours or so prior to eating where I actually start feeling hungry again.

I feel really good in myself, and seem to have a lot of energy throughout the day. On top of that I have already received compliments from people about fat loss (particularly around the mid section and moobs). I measured various body parts at the start, and again yesterday (9 days between) I have found a 5cm reduction in my waist, a 1cm "increase" in my thighs, a 0.5cm "increase" in my biceps and a 2cm "increase" in my chest surprisingly!

This translates to a good weight loss of 2.2kg in 10 days, as I am now running in at 86.0kg! I haven't actually started doing any weights or cardio yet either, as I'm still easing into the intermittent fasting and diet change. So I can probably expect to continue losing body fat for a while yet. My aim at the moment is to drop to around 75-76kg (down from 96.9kg in Autumn last year and 92.9kg at the start of January this year).

The girlfriend has lost 1.9kg over the same period, and she's feeling great with it all as well. So far so good!
Loafman

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »

I've just had a rather interesting weekend. I decided that I'm going to mix things up a little, so at weekends I am changing my eating habits. Not so much the foods I'm eating, it will still be a keto diet, but I am greatly lengthening the window where I'm eating for to an 8-10 hour window.
The reason for this is to mix things up a bit and hopefully prevent any potential plateauing. Due to consuming fat rich foods, I am feeling full rather quickly, so with a wider feeding window I can cram in some more calories.
With a 4 hour window, I'm struggling to get more than 1000-1200 calories a day in. Now this obviously creates quite a calorie deficit, which explains the rapid fat loss I've been experiencing. But ultimately it's a little too low, so by extending the eating window to 8-10 hours on a Saturday and Sunday, I am hoping to fit in nearer 2000 calories on those 2 days each week. Plus obviously it is nice to scoff loads at a weekend.
I have not experienced any plateauing yet, and am hoping this will keep it at bay.

So far I am really pleased with this diet and eating pattern. After a fat and calorie heavy weekend I am still 0.5 kg down on last Wednesday, at 85.5kg. I am also starting to see a noticable increase in definition in various parts of my body, which is a real confidence booster.

Another positive side effect is that my resting pulse rate has dropped from a fairly normal 75, down to around 60-62 or so, and I've seen a small drop in blood pressure to boot (not that it was too high to begin with) which has dropped from 121/85 to 115/77. This is before I've introduced any real cardio work. My pulse and BP measurements have been about 2 weeks apart.

All in all I have tons of energy, and am feeling really good. My flexibility has improved, and I 'feel' strong.  Grin
Loafman

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »

Had another high calorie weekend, although I have stuck to the keto diet. Have been introducing some weights and cardio, and have been feeling pretty good on it. My upper right arm is struggling a little on the flat bench at the moment with a shooting pain on the outside of my upper arm between my shoulder and elbow. I believe it's an injury that I sustained in early May while in Lanzarote.. had a big crash while go-karting! Grin  Although I suspect it will heal up quite quickly now I'm back in training.

Weight loss has slowed a little, but still managed a 0.8kg loss in the last week, and now down to 84.7kg. That means a total loss since November 2016 of 12.2kg, down from 96.9kg! That's nearly 2 stones..  Cheesy

I've been avoiding all carb rich foods and eating lots of coconut flesh, eggs, chicken thighs with the skin on, pork loin steaks with the fat on, loads of green veggies like broccoli, spinach, cabbage, asparagus, avocado's, goji berries etc. and supplementing with raw organic Cacao powder, Spirulina powder, yellow Maca root powder, Wheatgrass powder and Chia seeds blended together in coconut water.. tastes like crap, but gives a nice buzz after you consume it. I eat all of this in a four hour window during weekdays and also drink 3-4 litres of water each day.

Going great guns and heading toward my target of around 75kg or so!
Loafman

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

I recently decided to try introducing carb cycling into my keto diet once a fortnight, just to shock my body into using carbs now and then. As it was my Aunties 60th last week and we were going out for a meal, I decided this would be an ideal opportunity to introduce my body to carbs for the first time in a month or so.

I decided to have a pizza, and very delicious it was too. I happily ate the whole thing and had no bloating or apparent issues on the evening in question. I awoke the next morning feeling fine and done a little exercise. In the afternoon my girlfriend and I were looking after her friends 5 year old son, so we took him to the park, where I ended up running around like a looney with him. All seemed well.

After we had returned, I realised I was crashing badly, totally devoid of energy and borderline hypoglycaemic. I had well and truly kicked myself out of ketosis!  My girlfriend put the lad to bed at around 7pm and I had an evening meal of salad, cauliflower cous cous and chilli con carne. But I was bushed and had to go to bed at about 9pm.. I then proceeded to sleep until around 10am!! Huh

I can only imagine I seriously overdid the carbs at the meal, as I had been fine on a near zero carb diet for weeks prior to that. So in the future I will try carb cycling with much lighter carb sources like a sweet potato or a little bit of wholegrain rice.

On a positive note, I now weigh in at 83.3kg! so another 1.4kg's lost since my last post 9 days ago.. result! I've dropped just over 4 inches on my waist since early July (about 1 month), so I've been having to replace a few items in my wardrobe (again!)
Loafman

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »

Still going well.. haven't been hitting the weights or cardio too hard yet, as I'm still intermittent fasting most days, so probably only getting 1250 calories a day on average when I'm doing that. Although on the 1 or 2 days a week that I'm not intermittent fasting, I am probably consuming around 2000 to 2500 calories.

My diet has now moved over to pasture raised eggs and meat as I have discovered a great little organic farm a few miles away that have their own in house butcher, and they raise organic grass fed cows and lambs, and organic, free range pasture fed poultry. They also raise organic pigs, although I'm not sure what they are fed on, haha, but it's really nice meat (especially the pork belly!). The beef truly is to die for, and the chicken is really good too. Home made burgers with the grass fed minced beef (it's 4.12 for 500g of mince, so not cheap) are amazing. And the eggs are also a different level from standard free range supermarket eggs, with much darker yolks and stiffer whites, which are both a sign of a better egg apparently, and the flavour was head and shoulders over supermarket ones in the side by side test I did earlier. Again, a little pricey, but at 2.80 for a dozen large ones they are well worth the extra in my opinion.

Despite this latest gastronomic discovery, I have still dropped 1.1kg over the last week (now down to 82.2kg). And on a very exciting side note (well, exciting for me anyway! Grin), I have just had a job interview, which if successful (and I have no reason to doubt it will be), will be a fantastic opportunity for me working in the automotive industry with some of the most exciting car brands in the world, like Aston Martin, Porsche and McLaren.. I will get to drive their cars too.. at high speeds!! Grin
Loafman

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »

It's been a while since I last posted, but I haven't fallen off the wagon.. too much.

It's been holiday season, and I've been on a few camping trips, a week in Cornwall and attended countless BBQ's. Because of this, I have relaxed my diet a little and dropped the intermittent fasting on a number of days, although I've not been too naughty.

I weighed in yesterday at 83.2kg, which means I haven't really gained a great deal since my unmentioned low of 82.1kg toward the tail end of August. I am now back on it, full assault, and intend to hit my target of 75/76kg by early/mid November, which will mean around a 21kg or so loss of mostly body fat in about 1 year. Done in 3 stages. Slow and steady wins the race!

I got the job I was aiming for, and unfortunately it is rotating shift work, so I need to get my head around that, but I'll soon be accustomed to that I'm sure.

Once I'm settled in the new job, I will see a big reduction in my social life due to the shift patterns, so will need to occupy myself in other ways.. I figure lifting weights will be a good part of that change.

All in all, still going strong.  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements