May 21, 2019, 10:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting injuries and illness behind me..  (Read 12674 times)
McFly

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »

Hi Loafman

Just caught up on the journal and am enjoying it.  I'm back at it now and doing Keto and really enjoying it and getting great results.

Keep at it buddy.
Loafman

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »

Hi Loafman

Just caught up on the journal and am enjoying it.  I'm back at it now and doing Keto and really enjoying it and getting great results.

Keep at it buddy.

Cheers fella, yeah, I'm finding keto mixed with intermittent fasting  is absolutely kicking serious ass for me, I'm currently 82.4kg, down from 83.2kg a few days ago. Never in my life have I been able to lose body fat this fast, and believe me I've tried many, many times. I started keto and I.F. back in early July, and even after taking a month off between 25th August and the 26th September, I've still lost a stone, so that's less than 2 months "on it".

Also, I read that intermittent fasting stimulates a massive rise in growth hormone. I was very apprehensive at first, but I have to say that even with minimal weights and cardio, I am seeing what appears to be amazing hypertrophy results whilst still losing body fat at an unbelievable rate. I'm not assuming the results would be universal to all, but it certainly works for me.

I have been weight training since my teens, and at times have been incredibly muscular and strong, at least for a natty, but I have never been able to get properly lean. In my attempts to get lean, I would always take the low fat route, which inevitably meant I would have to increase carbs to compensate for the calories. This would stimulate insulin production, which just meant I'd store fat and stay fat, because the body can't 'burn' its fat reserves in the presence of insulin, and my body wasn't very efficient at switching to fat as its primary energy source in between all the carb rich meals that I was eating. This is no longer an issue as my body has no choice but to use fat from meals or my body fat as its primary fuel source due to low glucose/glycogen levels in my body. I guess it's just a case of training your body not to rely solely on glucose for energy, but to increase its reliance on ketone bodies.

I have found, more recently, after training my body to use ketone bodies, I can eat a sensible level of clean carbs and still quickly switch back to burning fat efficiently. Due to this, I have a new found confidence that I will, in the near future, achieve my goal of getting very lean. Single figure bf percentage here I come!  Grin
McFly

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »

I'm feeling similarly to what you said above.  I love the keto approach and swear by it.

Of course, it's not for everyone but for guys like us who struggle with carbs it's just the ticket.
Loafman

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »

I'm feeling similarly to what you said above.  I love the keto approach and swear by it.

Of course, it's not for everyone but for guys like us who struggle with carbs it's just the ticket.

Absolutely buddy, I hope you're still doing well!

Afternoon all! Hope everyone is well. It's been a while since I posted again  Roll Eyes
But it's not all bad news, I've been keeping things moderately sensible for the last few months, although not super strict.
I am currently sitting at 84.3kg, so have only gained about 2kg in the last 3.5 months or so. Still awesome compared to a little over a year ago when I was nearly 97kg.
I am posting now because I am going back on the low carb keto route again to now achieve my goal of 76kg. I hope to hit this before I go to Lanzarote in early March, and I know it's totally achievable.
I am still going to be doing intermittent fasting, and doing lots of light to moderate weights and cardio.
I've never been able to maintain my weight in this way before, and because I now can, it spurs me on so much! In days gone by, I would lose a stone or so, then stop the diet and exercise and put all the weight back on in a few weeks, which was very demoralising, so used to mean it was hard to get motivated to get back into it. This isn't happening if I maintain a moderately low carb diet during times that I am a little lower on motivation, and makes it psychologically much easier to get back into things once my mindset is good because there is a much smaller mountain to climb.
I'm going to be introducing some home made fermented organic vegetables into my diet at some point to see how I react to it. See if it helps with my digestion, which has been a lot better over the last year or so, but can be a little slow at times still.
Loafman

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »

It's been 2 months since my last post and things have progressed, although not as much as I would have hoped. Things went a bit pear shaped in my personal life, and I separated from my good lady shortly after my last post. This meant the holiday I had booked went to waste, and I got a bit down in the doldrums. We have revived things in the last week or so after some mediation, and things are looking good again.

Needless to say, this had a bit of an affect on my diet and training, although I am now down to 80.8kg from 84.3kg in mid January, and I have been doing some weights, just not as much as I would have liked. I am starting to get quite lean now, and the muscular shape is starting to show a bit more. I have my top abs starting to show and my shoulders are starting to get a bit striated and boulderish. Moobs have reduced greatly, face has slimmed down loads, but not to the point of looking ill. The main thing I need to try and sort is the slight love handles on my lower back/sides which are still a bit unsightly, but it's gradually going.

I set aside 2 days a week now where I eat vegan. Lots of avocado, various veg, nuts, seeds, berries, but no grains. These are low calorie days as even with nuts and seeds it is really hard to eat enough to hit my calorie goal. I tend to manage about 1200-1300 calories on these days. On the plus side it seems to give me a lot of energy doing this, so I'll continue with it.

I'm still doing intermittent fasting for 18-6 or 20-4, and very low carb, and seem to have near unlimited stamina when doing distance work and I also have rapid recovery when doing heavier work.

So it's all going well still, just thought I'd check in and jot these bits down..  Cool
Loafman

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »

Thought I'd better do another update!  Grin
Had my birthday the other day and hit the big 4-5! And am in better looking shape now than when I was 35..  Wink
To be fair I haven't made a great deal of progress since my last update, but I haven't gone backwards either, so pretty happy where I am at the moment. I've been hovering around the 80kg mark for the last few months, dipping into the high 70's here and there, which is the lowest I've been in more than 15 years. Many people have commented on my athletic/muscular shape recently too, as my chest and shoulders are quite big compared to my lower abdomen. I have a very 'tapered' look apparently, which is really confidence inspiring as I haven't been hitting the weights at all in the last few months. I'm mostly sitting on my backside driving fast cars all day! I think I must have the best job in the world..  Cool
I'm keeping my carbs low, although I have increased them a bit, mostly through potatoes/sweet potatoes, carrots etc, still eating high fat, and moderate protein. I try to keep my macro split approximately:- 60% of calories from fats, 20% from proteins and about 20% from carbs.
If I do eat a lot of carbs, I can gain a few kilo's within a couple of days, due to glycogen storage, and the water weight you gain with it. I can easily lose those few kilo's again within a few days by lowering my carbs so that my body utilises the glycogen stores, thus expelling a lot of water weight.
Anyway, babbled on enough for now.
Must start hitting the weights.. that's the main thing missing from the puzzle now!  Smiley
Loafman

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

Haven't updated for an age... again!  Tongue

Not much has happened in the last 4 or 5 months to be honest, except I no longer do my dream job of driving supercars due to redundancy... I have to say though, the new Aston Martin DBS SuperLeggera is an absolute gem! And has the best sounding engine out there, can't beat a nice V12 Cool

My weight has gone up a little, and I am now about 83-84kg. Not bad really because I've been fairly relaxed about my diet for the last few months. I'm now going back to the high fat, moderate protein and low (ish) carb diet with no processed foods or grains.

I think I'll be back to 79/80kg within a month and it seems I will shortly have a new training partner as a friend of mine really wants to do some weights etc.  Grin

Hopefully it will mean I have more to jot down on here very soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements