April 18, 2019, 07:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soy protein contains estrogen yet everyone eats chicken breasts  (Read 4173 times)
Vinster

« on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

So I've been coming across a lot of things on the internet saying that soya gives men breasts because it contains estrogen.

What I don't understand is that if estrogen is the hormone that gives you breasts...

How much estrogen is there in chicken breasts?

Because the chicken can't grow breasts without estrogen hormones? Undecided Undecided Undecided
Loafman

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »

Chicken don't technically have breasts in the context of which you are referring. There's a big difference between birds and mammals. I believe you are confusing pectoral muscles with mammary glands.

Chickens, like most avian species, don't lactate (produce milk) like female mammals, so oestrogen does not affect the development of chicken breasts (pectoral muscles) in the same way as it would in a mammals mammary glands. Mammary glands happen to be positioned in the pectoral region of humans, which is where I think you are getting confused. If you look at a cow, it's mammary glands are nearer it's back legs than where it's pectoral muscles would be.
Vinster

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »

Would you say that it's bad to consume soy?
Loafman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »

I really couldn't comment to be honest as I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm sure there will be someone on here that can help you with your question though.
Vinster

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »

Don't farmers inject animals with steroids though... To make them grow... That can have an effect if we were to consume the chicken

I'm personally vegetarian
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »

Is this thread for real?!
Vinster

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:14:45 PM »

Yes... I wanted to find out why it's a problem to consume soy protein... Because I'm vegetarian...

And am limited for protein sources
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »

Sorry  Embarrassed the chicken "breast"/chest/boob confusion threw me.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you the definitive answer re: soy but as I understand it, it's not the end of the world in moderation, although it might not be an optimal main protein source. What other vegetarian sources of protein can you eat? Eggs (whole and whites), beans/lentils/pulses, other vegetarian protein powders (whey, pea, brown rice, hemp - or a blend), quinoa, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, tofu, tempeh (?)

Don't forget there's trace protein in other foods anyway (grains, mushrooms, other veg) so you will be getting a small amount from other foods you eat.
Vinster

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 11:46:37 PM »

Everythings got carbs in it

Rice beans lentils whey protein skyr yogurt greek yogurt

But soya chunks give around 30g protein per 50g serving

And they aren't very expensive on the shopping list

Can I just say youre in amazing shape in your picture
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

Eggs don't have carbs. Eggs are awesome. And why don't you want carbs? There's not too much in the above list.

Sorry can't help more with the soya. As far as I know it's all a bit of a myth and you shouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it won't do much to deter your development.

Meanwhile, I'm so sorry but that cracked me up. It's up there with 'Do buffalo really have wings' and 'Do Chinese people pick seaweed from the beach'.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements