May 24, 2019, 12:57:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Underweight salmon at Tesco...  (Read 4186 times)
Loafman

« on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

Bought a 270g pack of fresh salmon fillets from Tesco yesterday and have just gone to cook them. Thought I'd weigh them just to be sure and guess what.. 251g!  Shocked Cheeky f*****s! If that is similar across all the packs, they are ripping the paying public off for 7% of the product!

1 or 2 percent under and I'd overlook, but when I'm paying 3.50 a pack I am not happy. They're getting a piece of my mind!

Edit: I know my scales are calibrated correctly as I have tested them with coins..
fhwill

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »

Let me know what they say out of interest...
Loafman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »

I haven't been back in yet, but have had another interesting experience.

I also had a 750g pack of fresh steak mince in the fridge, which I was planning on making into 6 burgers. I decided to weigh the mince and packaging prior to opening and it weighed 757g. once I had removed the meat I re weighed the empty packaging and it weighed 34g. That would indicate a net weight of 723g. so I set the scales to zero with the mixing bowl on them, added the mince, and lo and behold 722-723g (flicking between the two). So 27/28g (say 27.5g for ease) worked out at 3.66% down on stated net weight.

At this point I decided to check the calibration of my scales again and they were bang on.

I'm either being a bit unlucky or our supermarket overlords are taking the biscuit somewhat.. I shall inform them of this too, as I believe a maximum of 3% under is permitted by law.
Loafman

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »

Well, it seems they are not interested because I ate the Salmon.. apparently I should have wasted half an hour of my day taking it back, hanging around while they get someone to check it for me, and in return they would have given me a replacement pack or a refund.

I pointed out that I wasn't looking to change it or get a refund, I was alerting them to the fact that it was well underweight. And they should alert the packaging plant (or whoever it may concern) to look into how it happened. To which they basically said they are not willing to even report it because it was an isolated incident. I ased him how he knows that and pointed out that a pack of minced beef was under too (albeit by a smaller margin), but the response remained the same.

So there you go folks, check the weight of your meats and fish, your macro's could be some way off if you go by the weight on the packet, because Tesco don't seem to care if they sell underweight produce.

I know it may seem trivial, but quality food is bloody expensive and these swine's make hundreds of millions in profit every year, apparently some of it by directly ripping us off.

On a plus point I bought a 500g pack of turkey mince earlier and the contents weighed 501g!!  Shocked  Yippee!
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:53:04 AM »

One word bro...Morrison's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements