December 18, 2017, 11:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I grow muscle with 20% body fat  (Read 1380 times)
Ashpan89

« on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »

Hello guys can I still build good noticeable muscle with 20% body fat or do I need to cut that to a lower percentage. I'm 27 5"11 I'm lifting 4 times a week (strength training) I stared back at the gym last august my Marcos for maintenance says I should eat 2900 calories im getting these calories 30 carbs/35protein /35 fats I'm not eating lots of carbs as i used to be a big lad 17st big so don't want to fall into that trap again. I do train hard with me doing strength training I'm into my 2nd week of this and I've noticed I'm lifting heavier but not noticing muscle growth is this something that takes a long time or is it down to me been 20% body fat I know it's a marathon not a sprint.

Thanks in advance ash
Colinzor

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

Hello guys can I still build good noticeable muscle with 20% body fat or do I need to cut that to a lower percentage. I'm 27 5"11 I'm lifting 4 times a week (strength training) I stared back at the gym last august my Marcos for maintenance says I should eat 2900 calories im getting these calories 30 carbs/35protein /35 fats I'm not eating lots of carbs as i used to be a big lad 17st big so don't want to fall into that trap again. I do train hard with me doing strength training I'm into my 2nd week of this and I've noticed I'm lifting heavier but not noticing muscle growth is this something that takes a long time or is it down to me been 20% body fat I know it's a marathon not a sprint.

Thanks in advance ash

Hi. yes you can grow muscle at 20 % body fat easily, the optimum area is around 10-15% but its not the be all and end all, your macro ratios do not matter as such for total weight gain its more about the total calories you are consuming, to gain muscle you must simply above all lift weights and eat in a calorie surplus, just make sure your eating enough protein typically around 1g per 1lb of bodyweight is a nice number, you can go slightly higher or lower than this depending on preference, fat around 0.4g per 1lb and carbs can make up the difference, although some people such as myself love carbs and if you perfer a higher carb intake you can change the ratios to your liking.

the muscle growth will take time aim for around 0.5 -  1lb per week on the scale anything more than this is probably sub optimal and youll gain even more fat, if your scale doesnt go up you most likely arent eating enough so adjust macros, you will gain strength overtime also.

goodluck
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »

Yes you can grow muscle at that body fat %, but its not optimal. Plus, you'll be gaining fat too, no matter how 'clean' or 'lean' your bulk is.

Personally, if I was you, I'd cut until you have a nice lean base to build from and go on a long, slow lean bulk.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements