February 20, 2019, 04:07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loading with Creatine monohydrate.  (Read 4292 times)
Loafman

« on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

I have purchased a kilo of Creatine monohydrate, and am just starting the loading phase. I started loading on it yesterday, whilst eating pork as my primary protein source. I am taking 6-7g 3 times a day, mixed in water, with a meal. I intend to drop to 3g a day after 5 days of loading.

Today I am eating minced beef (home made burgers) as my primary protein source, and from what I am led to believe, beef has moderate creatine levels anyway, so would I still need 6-7g of Creatine 3 times a day or should I reduce this amount? Also, would it be different between the loading phase and maintenance phases?

Many thanks in advance for any replies, Loaf.
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »

I personally  have never loaded with creatine. I just take 5g per day. Mind you now a days I just take post workout and get much the same results. I'm sat down all all day so not really expending creatine that needs replacing
Loafman

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »

I dropped it from 6-7g, 3 times a day to 4-5g, 3 times a day while eating beef. Good stuff though, can definitely see a little bit more roundness/shape in my arms and shoulders where it is holding water weight. Been loading 4 days now, so just today to go before maintenance. Might try as you say, 5g a day for maintenance, as it's cheap and 3g might not cut the mustard.
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

5g a day. No need to load. Excessive amounts will do more harm than good
Loafman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »

5g a day. No need to load. Excessive amounts will do more harm than good

Yeah, I did think about that, but because I am on a restricted calorie diet at the same time as weight training, I chose to load up in order to try and offset some of the potentially catabolic effects I will be encountering. I wanted to get "loaded" more quickly than a maintenance level would allow to speed up the increase in weights and/or endurance I will be capable of. It seems to be working thus far.  Smiley

I'm on around 1800 calories a day, currently around 600 calories a day below maintenance calories of 2400 per day. I am losing weight, but gaining strength. In fairness I have only been back training for a few weeks, so I'm bound to gain strength, even on a 25% calorie deficit. Cool
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »

It depends how long you're planning on using it for?

If you load, you'll saturate the muscles in 4-5 days. Think of it a little like a fuel tank - you can fill up your 'creatine fuel tank' to the top, in around 4-5 days.

If you don't load, it'll take nearer 16-20 days to fill the tank to the top. However, if you're planning on using creatine for a good few weeks, then this isn't an issue and a couple of weeks longer doesn't matter. If, however, you were only using it for a few weeks, it makes sense to load and get the maximum benefit.

Also, some people can get stomach upsets with creatine loading.
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

I tend to consistently use 7-10g

As those above has stated it depends on what your end point is when it comes to whether loading fits or not.

I have noticed I get the best out of creatine use at this level, on days where I have 200g of sirloin I will drop it out but otherwise I consume it after training.
Loafman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »

I saw this article on another website:-

"Creatine And The Dieting Individual

Next, dieters are often questioning themselves as to whether or not creatine would be a good idea for them to be using. Typically creatine is associated with 'bulking' periods since it is designed to help with the muscle building process as it allows you to work harder for longer while you are in the gym. When it comes to dieting, since you're more focused on fat loss rather than strength and muscular gains, it doesn't seem to quite fit.

This is not the case though. Creatine still can actually be quite advantageous to the dieter as it can help to keep the intensity of their workout sessions up there. When you go on a low calorie diet, your gym sessions will need to be reduced in volume and you may find strength starting to lag as a result of the diet, so making sure your CP stores are full will really help offset these negative side effects.

Do note though that generally carbs are reduced when dieting which will mean the creatine will take longer to be absorbed and may not be absorbed to the same extent as if a high dose of carbs were fed to the individual, but they will still get into the muscle. In this case, taking the creating straight with water (or protein) in conjunction with a meal (to reduce stomach upset) is the protocol to follow.

If you happen to be training for a bodybuilding or fitness competition though, you will want to remove creatine from your supplement intake at a certain point out in order to prevent any water retention you experience while taking it. Talk to your specific coach with regards to when you should be doing this though, as each will have their own preference."

I realise that my calorie deficit will almost certainly exhibit some catabolic effect on me, so I "loaded up" as it's a quicker way to saturate my stores. Today is my 5th and final day of loading, after which I will drop to 5g a day.

The original question (which Badger has eluded to) was whether to load on 20g a day while eating beef, or to drop the amount/refrain from taking it. I probably could have worded it better..  Grin As it happens I continued at a reduced rate. Saying that, I do appreciate all of the responses, cheers guys!  Wink
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »

'Talk to your coach' lol. Just shows the state of bodybuilding these days where EVERYONE has a coach just to tie their laces. And most coaches have only done one diet, where they too were coached!

I also hate the way people refer to bodybuilding and physique as 'fitness' when it is the one 'sport' (pageant) that actually has nothing to do with fitness.

Either way...

Don't worry about beef vs creatine intake. Beef creatine is a bonus. Just use 3-5g pre workout and 3-5g post. On a non training day just get in a 3-5g dose. And just use monohydrate.

Creatine is simple, just treat it that way. You've loaded now but I wouldn't bother in the future. In fact, I wouldn't even stop using it. Just use it continually from now on. And any water retention in my mind is intra muscular, not subcutaneous like it can be with oestrogen related side effects.

And diet training should be just as strength focused as bulk training!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements