November 18, 2017, 02:44:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please be gentle.  (Read 1274 times)
Lawrence

Email
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »

I am 56 years old and 5' 4" and I want (need!) to get a good physique. I was quite active as a youngster and was naturally muscular and powerful, Then I started work and it all went wrong. I got a management position and I got into the high 17 stone territory. Last year I returned to operational level due to health issues and I have struggled to reach a reasonable performance level until recently. This is what has prompted me to join up.
Today I am 13 stone 7 lbs and I feel really good. I still have a way to go but I continue to eat well, I am a Postman so power walking/jogging fits in with my working day!

I wanted to reduce my fat levels enough to reveal my abs before I start training properly. At that stage I would like to post a picture of myself and ask you all what I should concentrate on to get a balanced body. However am I missing an opportunity? Should I have a training schedule already? I don't have a Gym membership, the 20 something PT I spoke to recently, implied I was wasting my time at my age so I have decided to ignore him and just go for it.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

Hi and welcome  Smiley

The young-fella-me-lad PT sounds like a twit. Good decision to ignore him. Everyone can and should exercise. What an odd idea that we should just not bother after a random age.

IMO you'd be better off starting to train now, and let the abs (or whatever) come as a result of doing something. Rather than waiting for an arbitrary time/body fat level and then start training. Just get going and see how you progress. You can fine tune things further down the line.

What kind of training will you be doing?
Lawrence

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
 I have just bought some free weights (still in the car as I write) since I decided I am more likely to train at home than at a Gym. I got 110 Kg of cast iron which should be enough for a while I should think. I have a selection of Kettlebells as well. Other than that I would be doing situps pressups etc. I don't have much of a history of exercise so I will be learning as I go on.
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »

I'd agree with Nic. It's nonsensical to suggest you shouldn't bother beyond a certain age. I've seen people in their 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond improve their physique, fitness, health, quality of life, etc., through exercise.

The training will help with controlling body-fat levels, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Lawrence

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »

Just to clarify, he didn't say I shouldn't exercise, just that I wouldn't be able to build the body I want.

With my current regime I am losing about 1/2 a pound a day and I am getting comments every day at work! The first 3 stone hardly anyone noticed!!

I can now feel my abs and almost see them...( if you squint a bit LOL)
AlexReaderFitness

https://alexreaderfitness.com/

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »

Hi Lawrence,

Just wanted to say it's great your active and have some fitness goals. Also, it sounds like your doing great just keep going! I have trained many people older than yourself that have achieved the shape they want, without a gym membership. Having a active job like you do is really help, just add in some higher intensity exercise if you can to help with the fat loss. A simple bodyweight routine with some cardio mixed in would probably work great, exercises like press ups, sit ups, squats, burpees, star jumps etc. With the equipment you have you can also add in some kettlebell swings, goblet squats, shoulder press, chest press, bent over rows etc. With this in mind, maybe a full body workout 3 times a week would be great for you.

For example-
3x10 press ups
3x10 sit ups
3x10 star jumps
3x10 weighted squats
3x10 burpees
3x10 bent over rows (dumbbells)

Best,
Alex Reader MSc
https://alexreaderfitness.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements