January 20, 2019, 08:36:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cosmetic Bodybuilding.  (Read 5535 times)
Jonsgym

Email
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »

I have been away from competition fro 6 years, recently I attended an excellently run natural bodybuilding competion, run by one of the two top natural organisations in this country. In one of the mens bodybuilding sections, one competitor stood out, he was way ahead of the other competitors, no disrespect to them, but he stood out. Bigger, fuller muscles , as cut as anyone else in the category, good presentation, but he did not have a good tan, he looked pale compared to the other competitors.
I thought he had won his class easily,but ------ he came 5th!, which amazed me and a few others I was with.
When i read the write up for the competition, it seems that a huge factor in his placing was his lack of tan.
I have been competing and attending shows since 1963, and have seen close up many of the legends of our sport, not all of them had great tans when they competed, but what they were judged on was their physiques, not their tans. Yes of course a good tan enhances a physique, but surly all the excess tanning products used today is just cosmetic bodybuilding, there is nothing natural about it. I understand that the competitors apply multi layers of tan products, because if they don't, they are marked down for being too pale. So are organisations marking the persons physiques, or the cosmetics?
Maybe if organizations did not demand such ridiculously dark tans, guys would look more natural, and not like pandas, with huge dark eyes, or with rivers of sweat-tan running down their bodies. there is nothing natural about any of that. Judge the physique, not the cosmetics.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »

Although hard to comment with seeing pictures, video or having been present at the show in question, I can say that although I may on occasion not quite agree with every single placing, I have never seen anyone who I thought could have won being placed in fifth nor marked down for a poor tan in the way that you are suggesting. I have seen people let themselves down with a poor tan which has made it impossible to see their true condition or muscularity though which is a very different thing.

I will go on to say that every show has a bunch of bros in the crowd who think their mate was robbed, and those gym bros do not have a clue what to look for in a competitor, they always have clear bias and are always wrong which becomes clear when pictures are viewed.

Another point is that the judges are experienced and have the best seat in the house. I have been in seats in the middle of the auditorium and watched a class and placed it in an order which I then completely change when I walk down and sit near the judges table. A lot is revealed when you get that close to the stage, things which are hidden from seats further back
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »

Toby, I agree with everything you have said, however, I did not know any of the male competitors in any class in the entire contest. I was attending to support a female competitor, so had no bias towards anyone in the male categories, and the folks I was with were there to support female competitors. Most of the people I was with had never seen a physique contest in any shape or form, and they asked me after the results were announced why that particular competitor had not won his class ---- I could not give them a rational answer as he was clearly the best in the class.
I do not doubt the integrity of the judges for one moment, as i know as a past competitor in the organization that they are 100% fair, unbiased and truly have natural bodybuilding and its competitors formost in their priorities.
The point I am trying to make is that a competitors tan and how dark it is seems to have a priority way above what is needed to judge a physique. I have personally been standing directly behind top international judges at various Mr Universe contests, when guys with absolutly no tan have won the entire contest. The physique, was what was judged, and the work going into creating it, not how many layers of tanning product was used by the competitor. It is the years of toil and training that should be rewarded, not the one hour of tan application.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

Luckily the head of the fed is on the forum so I am sure if he feels it needs a response, he will give one as like I said, I was not there.
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:46:38 PM »

Luckily the head of the fed is on the forum so I am sure if he feels it needs a response, he will give one as like I said, I was not there.

I'm guessing me you mean me, and as a result a UKDFBA show.  However, the scenario described does not fit the bill.  Jonsgym, please clarify which contest and class you refer to if it's one of ours.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »

I'm guessing me you mean me, and as a result a UKDFBA show.  However, the scenario described does not fit the bill.  Jonsgym, please clarify which contest and class you refer to if it's one of ours.

Sorry Lee, a show was mentioned earlier but that comment is now not here so mine is out of sync.

As you say though, it does not fit the bill in a ukdfba show. No way no how.
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »

Sorry Lee, a show was mentioned earlier but that comment is now not here so mine is out of sync.

As you say though, it does not fit the bill in a ukdfba show. No way no how.

No need to apologise fella.  I was concerned I'd lost my marbles and had started writing shit feedback just to help me flog a few bottles of tan for a minute.  Had to check.....
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »

Hi Guys, I did not mention the organisation as my post is not to criticise either the BNBF or The UKDFBA, both of whom I admire and a thank for being at the forefront of Natural Bodybuilding. It was in fact a BNBF show, but really my main point, that of the disproportionate impotance of tanning products is applicable to both, indeed all organizations, but as I am only interested in natural competitions, I used an example of the latest contest I attended. As I previously mentioned I have not attended a contest for six years, and this gap away made the realize the  importance put on tanning these days, It puzzles me, as I always thought it was the physique that was judged.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »

Hi Guys, I did not mention the organisation as my post is not to criticise either the BNBF or The UKDFBA, both of whom I admire and a thank for being at the forefront of Natural Bodybuilding. It was in fact a BNBF show, but really my main point, that of the disproportionate impotance of tanning products is applicable to both, indeed all organizations, but as I am only interested in natural competitions, I used an example of the latest contest I attended. As I previously mentioned I have not attended a contest for six years, and this gap away made the realize the  importance put on tanning these days, It puzzles me, as I always thought it was the physique that was judged.

Which BNBF show was it as I'd like to read the report to see how it was worded to get an understanding of what you are saying as I fail to believe that a winner was marked down and placed fifth due to a tan and that a federation would then state this in a report.

Was it not you who wrote the deleted post mentioning another fed? All just seems odd to me and not fitting any show I have ever attended with any fed tbh.
Damon Eaton

Damon "The Truth" Eaton. Free Agent.

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »

In the show I watched there was a person who won who I had third, perhaps second at a push. Ghe guy I had winning was more muscular and had superior condition but was placed second I read the report and it mentioned his tan and posing which I felt was a bit of a cop out and didn't agree but I guess if you don't get your presentation right your leaving room for the judges to argue against you.
I have no idea who this 5th place guy is as I did not see this on the most recent BNBF show would be interested to see who it is.
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »

that of the disproportionate impotance of tanning products is applicable to both, indeed all organizations,

I'd have to disagree fella.  You're more likely to suffer in one of our shows for having a streaky or patchy tan that hides what you have than being paler than others in your class.  I would have to double check to be sure, but I'm almost positive that I've never justified placing someone lower because they needed more tan.  Like I said before, if the physique can be seen it should be rewarded.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »

I have seen people let themselves down with a poor tan which has made it impossible to see their true condition or muscularity though which is a very different thing.

Another point is that the judges are experienced and have the best seat in the house. I have been in seats in the middle of the auditorium and watched a class and placed it in an order which I then completely change when I walk down and sit near the judges table. A lot is revealed when you get that close to the stage, things which are hidden from seats further back

I'd go back to what I said originally and which Lee reiterates, a bad or patchy tan is going to hide part of what you have.
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

I have seen people with such awful tans it looks like they have been rolling around in a potato field, others who have drenched their tan down to their feet who had let themselves down as a result of the tan obscuring the physique, and perhaps someone not having any sort of tan / glaze the opponents 'shine' more on stage.  This 'might' make a person slip to second if it was a closely contested battle, but can't see any more than that.  Fifth seems a bit OTT.  As Toby mentioned, the judges due really have the best seats in the house in that regard.
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

I'd go back to what I said originally and which Lee reiterates, a bad or patchy tan is going to hide part of what you have.

Indeed.  In fact, from a judges perspective I'd far rather someone were a tad pale than dark and streaky.  Some people really overdo it and come onstage looking like they've rolled in mud.  
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »

I have seen people with such awful tans it looks like they have been rolling around in a potato field

Great minds.....
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements