August 25, 2019, 12:03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the greatest bodybuilder you have trained with.?  (Read 12868 times)
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR £5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »

I love this thread. Great stories. I am fortune to live 45 minutes from Lougars and have trained there a few time. It's a magi place to train.

Ian and Claire make the place, still and old school, friendly ethos.
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »

Here are a couple of stories you may like from my time working for Reg Park. Have you ever heard of Fanagalo,? No, it is not some new kind of wonder drug that will give you 25 inch arms as you dick falls off. It is a language that is spoken only in one place in the world, and that is down the gold mines of South Africa.
As thousands of people from all over Africa came to work in the mines, all speaking different lanagues, some form of common language had to be formed so that everybody could communicate. So a pidgin form of the Zulu and Afrikaans languages was put together and used solely in the mines.
One of the part time instructors at Reg's gym was a guy called Archie, ( I wont use his surname to protect the guilty ) who was also a supervisor down the mines. He of course spoke Fanagalo, and he was a great joker and a great bloke. The gym was on the 4th and 5th floor of a large office block and once a month or so all the windows would be cleaned, the guys cleaning the windows would just sit on the window sills and hang outside cleaning. Most of these guys had worked down the mines at some time and could speak Fanagalo. So Archie would wait until they were hanging outside and then start telling jokes, at which we all started to laugh, including the guys hanging outside. The jokes would get funnier and funnier and everybody would be creased up laughing, with the guys outside cleaning hanging on for dear life, tears streaming down their faces, and helpless to do anything, including hanging onto the window frames.
There were a few times we had to grab the window cleaners to stop them falling 4 floors onto the street.
The other thing about Archie was that he liked a drink, a lot. He also was the senior, now called masters, Mr South Africa.
Reg and the main title winners did tours/exhibitions all around South Africa and I remember one time in a huge auditorium we were giving a show/posting exhibition. Archie was up posing next and I was helping him oil up and I noticed he was swaying around and was smelling of booze. I said to him he could not go on in that state, ratted, but he slurred out the words, that he would be ok, and do only kneeling poses, as then, no one in the massive audience could see he had as he put it, " had a few pots ".
The lights dimmed, his music started and  I gently guided him towards the direction of the posing platform, Archie made the platform, somehow fell up the steps to the main dias, knelt down, and then just as the first crescendo of his music blasted in the theatre, did a double biceps pose towards the audience, and fell backwards off the platform smack down onto the stage floor. They audience went wild, as they thought it was all part of Archie's act, Meanwhile Reg was going potty and we had to go and carry Archie off, what a laugh.
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »

I remember when I first went to work for Reg, I was introduce to the " loading the waggon workout ". as I mentioned before, Reg had a very big supplement and equipment business as well as his successful gyms. Every week orders from all of his retail outlets in the Transvaal as it was called then, would need to be delivered. Each one of us instructors had to take a turn doing this. Now you have to understand that the Transvaal was bigger than the entire UK, and that I was a young guy who had never been there or traveled aroud it.
So, Regs store rooms for all of his protein, supplements and gym equipment, weights and such, were two floors down below ground leval of the office block his gym was located in. You had to carry all of the orders, benches and weights, everything up two flights of stairs as the lifts only went to the ground floor and no lower.
Believe me, lugging boxes of big tins of his own protein powder, various benches and a tonnage of free weights after your early morning workout was no joke. The delivery truck sort of looked like it was ready to blast off to Mars, as the load was so heavy in the back, that I swear somtimes it felt like the front wheels were not actually touching the road.
So it was my turn,a few weeks after arriving in South Africa. The waggon was loaded, Reg walked out to the truck with me, gave me the order book, with orders for places I could not even pronounce, let alone know where they were. I pointed this out to Reg as diplomatically as I could, and asked for a AA route map or similar of the entire Transvaal. Reg just looked at me and said, " oh we dont have a map, hang on ", and he found a brown paper bag, which he slit along the sides, flattened it out on the bonnet of the truck, and preceded to draw, in pencil, a rough outline of where the towns were I had to deliver to. That was it!
I said," but i dont know where any of these places are, I've never been to any of them ".
Reg just smiled and said, "thats ok you'll find them, off you go". And off i went, this was about nine o clock in the morning --------- at midnight that day I had just left the last town in the order book, having managed to contact the retailer and deliver to his house, as his shop had been closed for hours. I then had to find my way home, and I said to myself, " sod returning to Jo'burg and returning the truck.". I tried to find my way home.
Aparrently there were a number of police alerted by Reg, to look out for the easily recognisable Reg Park Truck when I was hours overdue back in Jo'burg. I got home about four in the morning and slept for twelve hours straight. Until a phone call to the house, was answered by the family i was stayin with. As I stumbled to the phone after being woken, I was given the phone and a very loud Reg Park voice asked, " where the bloody hell are you ? ".
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »

"I'll just do kneeling poses..." ha ha - can't argue with that!
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:40 PM »

Yes Matt, that was just about Archies limit that night! Archie was a fantastic bloke always laughing and joking about.
Two of the other instructors at Reg's were Fani Du Toit, who won the medium height class at the NABBA 1965 Mr Universe, and Dougie Baggott, who also competed at the NABBA Universe, and was an international judo and karate champion. They were both great guys, but a different as chalk and cheese. Fani was a lovely quiet, unassuming guy. Everyone loved Fani, Dougie Baggott was an amazing bloke, he seemed to know everyone in Jo'burg and they all knew him.He had fingers in many pies, nearly all of them a bit iffy, if you know what I mean. He had a great sense of humour and was always up for a laugh or practical joke. But you would never want to cross him, as he was deadly and as hard as nails if you did him wrong.
I liked them both a lot, well every month or so the early morning training banter would inevitably single out someone and then they had to suffer the embaressment of being stripped naked by all the other guys and shoved naked into the lift. This was always done at the time the employees of the many other businesses  located in the same office block Reg's gym was in, started work in the morning.
So, stripped naked and shoved into the lift, we would press ground floor and down they would go. The weird thing about those lifts was that you could not stop them once someone had pressed ground floor. ( Remember we are talking 1960's here ) So the naked body builder would travel down to the ground floor, and we would all rush down the stairs to arrive at ground floor level as the lift doors opened and thirty or so secretaries would be treated to the sight a of a sweating, massive, naked bodybuilder trying to hide his private parts. we nearly wet ourselves laughing.
One time we decided it was Reg's turn to be embarrassed in the lift, it took about 10 of us to strip him naked as he was such a strong bugger. Into the lift he went and we all rushed to the ground floor to see Hercules and Mr Universe trying to hide his wedding tackle. There was a good crowed of women waiting for the lift and when the lift doors opened -------- Reg was standing there, massive, hands on hips all his wedding tackle exposed to the world. Unabashed he smiled and said, " morning ladies, which floor do you want? ". piercing screams rent the air, as some women covered their eyes, and many didn't and said " oh my goodness " and smiled. I gotta say the guy had balls ------ in more ways than one.
surfsteve

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »

Must have been great training with Reg Park. I was just a little kid when Hercules came out and loved the movie. I never trained with anybody famous. When I was a kid near Chicago a guy named Jerry Kramer lived across the street from me and was a “famous” bodybuilder in the neighborhood. This must have been around the mid to early1960's. I was in Kindergarten in '64 - '65 and it was before that.  I wasn't allowed to go across the street where they lived. Must have been about 4 years old at the time. His son Mark was allowed to lift weights. I remember his arms were a lot bigger than mine but I could still beat him in arm wrestling. I wonder if he ever became a bodybuilder. Some years later my dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told him a set of weights but I never got them.

Vince Gironda is the person I have idolized the most and I pretty much follow my own variation of his diet and training principals. I did the steak and eggs plus the raw glandulars long before I ever heard of him. I had great luck with that in my 30's but now that I'm near 60 eating all those eggs seemed to make me put on too much weight. I can't afford the glandular supplements either but instead I have a freezer full of offal that I blend into smoothies which seems to work every bit as good if not a whole lot better because I can afford to take as much of them as I want. I was also following Vince's 4 days on and three days off instead of the every other day thing that so many people do but recently I've had a lot better luck reversing it and training 3 killer days in a row and taking 4 days off to recover. I think it works a lot better for me on account of my age.

I miss the way the gyms used to be when I was in my 30's. People were so much more sociable and supportive back then. Recently I've become a lot more outgoing and been asking to work out with the guys at my gym whenever I see somebody using the same weights as I want to lift. As a result I have made quite a lot of gym friends and I wonder if it is catching on or if it's just that I am more aware of it but there seems to be a lot less people wearing headphones and more socializing than when I first started working out there.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »

Great thread Smiley

I once trained "with" Kai Greene, in that he was on a ham curl and saw me lurking, and said "do you want me to leave the plates on or take them off?" when he got off. I also went on a stairmaster next to Dana Lynn Bailey once.

Admittedly not quite up to the calibre of stories on this thread Wink

I've trained with a few of our natural "greats" though, and tbh that's one of the things I love about this sport - that amateurs/newbites/nobodies can train with world title holders and Pros. The gym is a great leveller, as long as you get along and are prepared to muck in and work hard.

I remember the first time I trained with Helen Stack (just me and her), it felt like meeting Beyonce or something.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

(PS: obviously I needed Kai to remove the plates from the ham curl machine...)
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »

I remember the first time I trained with Helen Stack (just me and her), it felt like meeting Beyonce or something.

That's like me with Oakes, but don't tell him.....although I suspect he knows!
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »

Surfsteve, I agree with you Vince Gironda was decades before his time. In my humble opinion he knew more about nutrition than anyone i have ever met. I trained with him at his gym in the Valley, as they call it in LA.
I had read many of his articals in the old mags, especially the old Iron Man magazine, when Peary Rader and his wife owned it. So I thought this guy is genuine and absolutly loves the sport. So I contacted him and was told to. Be at his gym at 06.00 for my first workout with him, now I was  about 35 years old then and he would be at least 55 or 60 ( I never had the courage to ask him his age! ), and honest to god, I could not keep up with him. The first 3 days, he had me training at 6am, mid-day and 6pm, three workouts a day! That first morning he told me to go to the training room and strip down to my budgie smuggelers, as the Ozzie's call them. At the time I thought I looked pretty good as I was preparing for a contest. He walked in, and the first thing he said was " your fat ", talk about instant deflation. Later, I learned he said exactly the same to Arnold, when Arnold went to train with him, except he added an expletive with Arnold. I got a couple more stories about Vince, but I have to say, to this day I revere his name and totally agree with almost everything he taught.
I really don't feel he ever got the praise and recognition he was due. To me he was one of the Ledgends of our sport.
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »

Nic, I have met Beyoncé, and she was charming. I have a great job, and fly round the world with Britains national airline. So I met many famous people in the course of my work. Beyoncé was charming and very attractive and polite. A very nice lady.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »

Shocked Very cool!

(But the real question is: can she squat as much as Helen Stack?  Wink )
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »

I dunno, but she has great glutes!
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »

Grin true!
Maveric Matt

Consistency is the key!

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:43 AM »

That's like me with Oakes, but don't tell him.....although I suspect he knows!

You saying Mark looks like Beyoncé?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements