March 25, 2019, 10:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Surfsteve's journal. Comments welcome!  (Read 2468 times)
surfsteve

« on: September 07, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »

Well I suppose I should start a journal. I hope this will help to motivate me. I've already been working out since April of 2016. I got in my best shape in December and then quit working out because I was redoing the roof on my apartment complex. I finished the roof in April of 2017 but didn't really get back into serous bodybuilding till June of this year. I can't believe how out of shape I had gotten in just a few months. Went from doing 20 pull ups to 10. Last time I maxed out on pull ups I was up to 15. I did 15 a few days ago and probably could have done a few more. My goal is to be able to do 24 at age 60 because the most I was ever able to do in my teens was 23. Not sure if I'll make it but I will give it one hell of a try!

That's ok because when I first started working out in April of 2016 I was only able to do 3, my hair was turning gray and I had quite a gut going on. Since then I've lost over 30 pounds and my hair color has returned to it's natural color.

Funny thing was, I was doing all kinds of supplements when my hair started turning gray. I stopped them all and started making smoothies out of raw offal meats. I drink 5 or more smoothies a day consisting of either kidney, thymus, tripe, rocky mountain oysters, liver or heart. It seemed like my hair started turning back to it's natural color almost immediately.

Anyway here's how I look now for better or worse. Took these pics yesterday.

Surfsteve age 59 and 7 months.

I'm hoping to loose the rest of my gut and tone up. Feel free to make any suggestions. I intend to post more about my diet and workout routine later and hope to post some more pics to show how I am progressing every once and a while. That's all for now...
surfsteve

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »

I only had time to workout twice this week. Monday and Thursday. I was working out 4 times a week Monday through Thursday and feeling pretty drained, then cut it back to 3 days M,T,W for the past couple weeks and felt extremely recovered.

Since I knew I only had 2 days I gave them hell with everything I had. Also everyone was using the deadlift bars so instead of deadlifts, when I went to spin class, when they had us do intervals I was putting the tension lever all the way forward for the last 5 to 10 seconds and giving it everything I had. I pretty much burned myself out before the 2nd half of the class and fell in line with everyone else. I can really feel it this morning. My knee joints hurt. Worried I may be doing more harm than good. I only started doing deadlifts a month ago and at first they hurt bad. I thought maybe something was wrong with my back but I seem to be getting used to them and hurting less. I convinced myself that a good portion of my gut was due to bad posture. I read the deadlifts are one of the best exercises for that and was the reason I started doing them.

I also think I been eating too much fat so I've been cutting down the last month or so and started eating lots of fish instead of beef. Also started using Salmon oil in my smoothies. Yesterday I tried adding some canned greens to one of them. Thought that might help. Especially with the gut. Just before I quit lifting in December I was juicing a lot of raw kale. At first I felt like superman but later not so good. I think maybe being raw it had too many antinutrients.

My diet has always been over 50% raw but 4 months or so ago I switched to 100%. Last 2 weeks I started eating canned sardines and now with the canned greens I am planning on only doing 80% raw and seeing how it goes.
surfsteve

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »

While I went shopping at Walmart yesterday I was going to buy some more mixed greens (turnip and mustard) and noticed they had canned kale! They sell both really cheap in huge cans. Less than a third the cost of what the other stores in my area sell the exact same brand for. Instead of just once, I mixed them in 4 different smoothies yesterday and consumed nearly a whole 27 ounce can.

I really like the flavor of the kale. It's slightly bitter. (No where near as bitter as fresh kale.) I put it in my last shake of the day. It's probably all in my head but it feels like my stomach is slimmer. But then maybe it's for real. I did take some really good dumps since I started taking canned greens. I will wait a while to take some more photos and see if it's working...

I also feel unusually recovered. I feel like I could still easily work out today even though I plan on waiting till Monday. Since I started eating raw I haven't been eating many vegetables. Mainly watermelon. I went to buy some more yesterday and noticed they had 4 pallets out where they normally keep them but when I went up to them they were filled with damn pumpkins! WTF? It's not even close to Halloween! Not one single watermelon in the entire store!  I'm kind of in a panic. Ever since the beginning of summer I've been consuming nearly a half a watermelon a day and I've only got two left in my refrigerator. I'm sure they have some in other stores but out of season watermelon costs a fortune. Meaning I'll just have to do without it. I guess I've become a watermelon junkie who's just lost his main connection!
surfsteve

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »

I tried adding canned kale to all of my smoothies and it seems to be doing me good.

I've been wondering about the difference between cooked and raw kale. I did some checking and they goitrogen (antinutrient) content is reduced some 90% by cooking. I had read that cooking reduces the vitamin content by 50% but according to the link below this is an over simplification. While the 50% reduction os true of some vitamins, cooking kale actually increases the vitamin A and vitamin K content. According to the chart it also brings up the amino acid content from zero to relatively high, (which doesn't sound right).
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=11233&t=11234&h=102&e=100&r=100

Just goes to show you can not always believe everything you read on the internet. I feel pretty good so far adding cooked kale to my smoothies. Hopefully it will continue to benefit me and not let me down like when I was juicing it.

A lot of other vegetables contain antinutrients when raw. Celery contains psoralens  and raw potatoes contain saponins. Wheat, grains and legumes also contain antinutrients. I can't remember what kind. Generally these amounts are so high that they make people sick which is why people always cook them  but  the antinutrients in other vegetables are usually nothing to worry about because they are in such small amounts; however when I was juicing tons of raw vegetables I'm pretty sure I was getting to many of them and they were starting to create a problem.
surfsteve

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

Took this one about a week ago. Been feeling like my gut has been going down and I thought maybe it was my imagination. I'm a long way from being in shape but I think I'm starting to develop a bit of an ab. Injured my wrist while fixing a clothes dryer at my apartment complex on Saturday. Just got through replacing a bearing when someone interrupted me and when I went back to work on it forgot I had plugged it in to test it and noticed the belt was misaligned. Got a nasty shock which caused my arm to jerk back, cutting my wrist wide open on a piece of metal. Was planning on taking some time off from lifting so as not to bleed all over the equipment but I been putting honey on it and it has healed miraculously looking more like it's been two weeks rather than two days. Honey is the stuff!

Are there actually some abs  under that gut? Been feeling a bit leaner lately.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements