September 24, 2018, 11:51:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating a bulking diet while recovering from a torn rotator.  (Read 1697 times)
IronAddict66

« on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »

Hi guys

About 2 months ago I completely tore my rotator cuff when pushing for a bench PB (never again will I be a doing 1-rep-max workout).

I've been looking into ways of speeding up the healing process as recovery has been very very slow. After doing a bunch of research I have found conflicting information on how to speed up recovery with diet.. I've had people on other forums telling me that going on a cutting diet will actually help the recovery process, but i've also found information here https://www.dietprobe.com/torn-muscle-recovery that states you should be eating around 500-1000 cals above your daily maintenance for 80% of your recovery time to speed up heeling. To me that seems mighty excessive?

What is everybody's thoughts on this? I'm currently not working out at all and only doing very light cardio 4 times a week. Supplementing multivitamins and about 50g of protein powder per day, other than that nothing.

Any advise will be much appreciated.  Huh

Cheers all

Chris.
DDG

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »

Okay. So it's difficult to be definitive in giving any advice because we are all one step removed from your injury. People also recover differently, some faster, some more slowly and this is obviously influenced by what an individual does in between either to enhance recovery or inhibit it by doing some of the 'wrong' things and failing to rest. A very large part of your recovery hinges on rest and then subsequently active rehabilitation and the right rehabilitation at that. Diet is but one factor in this process.

So, following this lengthy preface, with all caveats issued, I'd say the shorthand labels 'cutting' and 'bulking' are quite misleading. If you surplus calories you'll gain weight, if you create a small deficit you'll lose weight. From the standpoint of assisting recovery I'd say you need adequate nutrition which, for me, means consuming a level of calories that allows you to at least maintain your weight without putting on either needless body fat or denying yourself adequate calories. More than this however I think you should be aiming for sufficient nutrition, ensuring that your diet is balanced and replete with nutrients to assist your recovery. Lots of vegetables and some fruit at the right times around your cardio would be a good starting point. If you keep protein intake at around 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass spread across 5-6 meals that should help you retain muscle tissue and maintain bodyweight. Generally keep your meal quite small but often, spaced around 3 hours apart. This way you'll surplus less at each sitting and therefore avoid the risk of gaining body fat.
Natural Oak

WNBF Pro World, 3x NPA, 1x UKDFBA, ProAm Champ

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »

And really attend to the physio exercises. I had rotator repair in 2009. Was in a sling for five weeks (one week less that expected). Did physio four times a day...every day. Sometimes meant using the disabled toilet so I could get top half undressed and do the exercises. Slow recovery when back in the gym and worked, hopefully, sensibly. Six months later was back to about 95% of mobility and strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Therocket10

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »

Check out a nutritional company called Youngevity, their supplementation programs are the best iv seen.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements