May 24, 2019, 10:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we compete the way we want to look?  (Read 2169 times)
Jonsgym

Email
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:04:59 AM »

I have been thinking about this for a long time now. Those bodybuilders of us who are competitive, will someday want to enter a competition to see how good we actually are, as opposed to how good we think we are. I don't know about the rest of you, but originally I saw a picture of a champion and was blown away with how he looked, and said to myself, ---- that is how I want to be one day. So you work hard and over the years you archive your goal, or close to it, and as you are competitive you want to see how you measure up against  others. You decide to enter a competition and you start checking out organisations, rules, regulations and pictures of competitors in previous competitions and how they look, and then ---------- you realise that you don't look like the guys in the photos. Sure your big and with good definition, good shape, good separation, but ---------. Your not ripped to shreds, like the guys in the photos, so, you think we'll I guess I have to look like that to compete, but really, I want to look like the way I am. So what do I do, never compete and never know how good I really am, or abandoned my ideals and my creation of how I always wanted to look and conform to how I am expected to be in the eyes of the competition organisers.
Because in the end, the only person you are actually competing against is yourself. Though you only realise this, usually, after a number of years.
So do you be true to yourself and your own ideals of what you want to be, or do you conform and change into what is currently perceived as being the way to look when competing?
I guess if you stay true to yourself, you may never win or place in a competition the way current trends are in the ultra shredded world of bodybuilding today, but you know it may just be that others in the audience may like what they see, and tell you so. So you do win after all, by believing in what you have created and not changing to something you don't particularly want to look like.
This is in no way trying to knock any organisation, or the way competition criteria is formulated, but rather it is saying, build the body you want and like, compete if that is your wish, but do it with the body you like, not the one dictated to by current trends.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »

So what do I do, never compete and never know how good I really am, or abandoned my ideals and my creation of how I always wanted to look and conform to how I am expected to be in the eyes of the competition organisers.
Because in the end, the only person you are actually competing against is yourself. Though you only realise this, usually, after a number of years.
So do you be true to yourself and your own ideals of what you want to be, or do you conform and change into what is currently perceived as being the way to look when competing?

There is a third option - compete but accept that you may never (at least not at that show, in that year) place.

You can train and diet to *your* preferred look and get on stage - as long as it's sensible (ie your prefered look isn't sumo wrestler!)

The scorecards of life are internal. Do what makes you happy. If that can tally with the external demands of a subjective sport, then great. We live in our bodies 365 days a year. The judges will only see you for perhaps 20 minutes of one day.

That's my take on it anyway.

PS - IMO there are enough classes, federations, types of comp (etc) that someone should be able to find judging criteria that fits their preferred look (again, unless preferred look is marathon runner or sumo wrestler Wink ) But yes if you want to be a bodybuilder but you feel that the current look for bodybuilding is bigger/smaller/leaner/less balanced (or whatever) than YOU want to be, then there's your answer.
Jonsgym

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »

Good answer Nic, I did not know that the Natural Federations/Organizations in the UK had various classes, as I have only seen Physique/ Figure classes for women at the natural contests I have attended in the UK.
Nic

Work hard, be nice.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »

In tested shows you'll only have BB and (in some) men's Physique. But my point was that we have a massive range of choice (if we are happy to go to untested shows) - BB, classic, physique, model-type classes etc etc.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »

Ultimately we need to suit ourselves and do what makes us happy and going to the stage should be for clearly defined reasons in your mind. Perhaps you want to stay true to your own desired look and want to nail it to your personal best and want to walk away with the memory and some cracking stage shots of you looking exactly as you wanted.

If you are there to win, accept what the judges want and strive to achieve that and besides, it is not going to be a quantum leap difference, probably just dieted down further than you see or feel necessary. Couple weeks later you can be back to your comfortable and happy place but with a trophy and title.
DDG

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »

So what do I do, never compete and never know how good I really am, or abandoned my ideals and my creation of how I always wanted to look and conform to how I am expected to be in the eyes of the competition organisers.

There is a third option - compete but accept that you may never (at least not at that show, in that year) place.

You can train and diet to *your* preferred look and get on stage - as long as it's sensible (ie your prefered look isn't sumo wrestler!)

The scorecards of life are internal. Do what makes you happy. If that can tally with the external demands of a subjective sport, then great. We live in our bodies 365 days a year. The judges will only see you for perhaps 20 minutes of one day.

That's my take on it anyway.

PS - IMO there are enough classes, federations, types of comp (etc) that someone should be able to find judging criteria that fits their preferred look (again, unless preferred look is marathon runner or sumo wrestler Wink ) But yes if you want to be a bodybuilder but you feel that the current look for bodybuilding is bigger/smaller/leaner/less balanced (or whatever) than YOU want to be, then there's your answer.

This is a great answer.

Ultimately it's about personal ambition. Sometimes what you achieve aligns with what's rewarded and it's a double triumph. Often however the two things misalign or partially misalign. I've been in both positions. Triumphant and disappointed. When I last competed I really don't think I could have looked any better but felt I was a bit overlooked. That's the way its rolls sometimes. Maybe a slightly softer but more rounded look would have rewarded me better who knows? Maybe I'm over-analysing the situation. Difficult isn't it? The main thing though, and this is captured in Nic's account, is that as long as the individual, in this case me, is satisfied then nothing else really matters and from a physique perspective I was just that.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »

The main thing though, and this is captured in Nic's account, is that as long as the individual, in this case me, is satisfied then nothing else really matters and from a physique perspective I was just that.

This resonates. I have been 70kg, 74.5kg (fat as a pig), 73.5kg and 71.5kg on stage and anticipate being 67-68kg come June/July and a clear PB but for my own satisfaction and nothing else. I do not feel like I need budgie smugglers and a table of judges to give me approval and tell me I did a good job and so will probably not even put it on the stage. It will satisfy me and the journey is mine alone.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:56:53 PM »

I agree with the above. And it has two schools of thought I think...

1. Yes you could compete for you and look how you want to. But how are you comparing with others to see how good you are if you don't want to look like that and won't on stage? Why compete at all? You don't play football or do karate competitions to do it your way. You can certainly enjoy them recreationally however you like but competitions have guidelines for a reason, it makes no sense to compete but do it differently. It's not a parade, it's a competition...

...OR...

Regardless of the above, it is a personal recreational endeavour and it is there for the people not the powers that be. If you want to compete as a personal target then you are totally within your rights to do it as you like and enjoy it. After all you can enter a marathon and walk it if that's what you fancy. For many the goal is to get there and complete it.

So I agree more with point 2, but point 1 has a place.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements