May 24, 2018, 01:19:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
 BULK POWDERS
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First time competitor  (Read 989 times)
tony_bonner

Powered by real ale

Email
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »

What class do you think would be best to enter (UKDFPA) for a first timer (but an oldie) - Novice or Masters? Thinking novice, but don't want to be the sole oldie on a stage full of youngsters! Roll Eyes
Jester

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »

Tony,

If you're ready in time for June 9th, do Novice Masters!  Guys like you were the entire reason we started the USN Classic.....
tony_bonner

Powered by real ale

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:40:41 PM »

Cheers Lee, but won't be ready for that. Aiming for the Northerns in September, but even that might be a push! Shocked
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:39:48 PM »

The Novices can be a tough class, from what I've seen. Ultimately, it's luck of the draw.

If you're fairly short and light, IMO I'd do the Novice lights (as most Master's aren't split by weight) as you could get lost within a Masters class with no weight limit. If you're bigger, I'd do the Masters rather than going into a likely highly competitive Novice Heavies.

I'm sure others may have a different perspective though.
Toby

Always give your best

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »

The classes are such a mixed bunch tbh, I have seen both ends of the spectrum from killer novice classes, to shite open classes, awful masters, Over 50's which would blow the roof off and everything in between.

Lee gave a great option but if you will not be ready for then, have to reconsider. Perhaps depends on personal goal - are you feeling you could be competitive in the right class or is it a personal journey and wanting to say that you had done it?
tony_bonner

Powered by real ale

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »

The Novices can be a tough class, from what I've seen. Ultimately, it's luck of the draw.

If you're fairly short and light, IMO I'd do the Novice lights (as most Master's aren't split by weight) as you could get lost within a Masters class with no weight limit. If you're bigger, I'd do the Masters rather than going into a likely highly competitive Novice Heavies.

I'm sure others may have a different perspective though.
Thanks for that Si. I'm 5'10 and would hope to be 85-90 kg, so that's one vote for Masters!
tony_bonner