October 18, 2018, 01:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No energy - Crohnís disease  (Read 1053 times)
fowlerx3

Email
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »

Hi All,

Iím new to this forum and could really do with some advice. Iím 30 years old 88kg with about 19% body fat. Iíve gone to the gym 2-4 times per week for the best part of a decade and although I look like I work out to a degree I donít look ripped or have any kind of muscle mass that Iíd like.

Iíve just bought and installed a power rack at my home but the problem I have is I feel like I have absolutely no energy at all times. The doctors canít do anything and say itís a side effect of crohns but it hampers my ability to motivate myself and push myself with my weight training.

I had a bowel resection 3 years ago which helped the disease but not the energy side of things. With this in mind I was wondering if there are any natural supplements youíd recommend to provide an energy boost that I could use daily to help me balance an intense full time job (10-12 hours per day) and allowing me to train without feeling like I can barely lift my own arms.

Thanks so much in advance and apologies for the essay.

Steve
Dan94

BulkPowders referral code http://referme.to/efed29

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum.

Has your doctor explored any other routes, or just said its a side of crohns and that's it? It may be worth getting your thyroid function and testosterone levels checked - both these can extremely affect energy levels if out of whack. It'd definitely be something worth asking about for sure.

In terms of supplements - Vitamin B complex may help with energy if you're deficient and also a lack of Iron can cause fatigue. A multivitamin like those from Bulk Powders or MyProtein would help to cover all bases.

Hope this helped some what mate Smiley
fowlerx3

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your message. I've had the testosterone levels checked and thyroid function and everything is within range. Unfortunately it's just a side effect of Crohn's and how the body absorbs nutrients and they have been reluctant to try anything else I have asked including trying things like a B12 injection. Unfortunately unless I stay off work sick due to the energy they won't explore it, and I want to work/ have a normal life so just ploughing on.

I've been taking Alpha Men multi vitamin from My Protein, which I think has helped, but wasn't sure if there was anything else. I did see in another forum post about DAA, which I may try also, and I'll definitely get some B Complex and Iron tablets.

Thanks again,

Steve
SuperSi

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Hi Steve,

Off the top of my head, Probiotics are often recommended for those with Crohn's. In particular, bifidobacterium.

There is some research suggesting that Colostrum helps to reduce gut permeability. Turmeric is quite popular for Crohn's, due to the anti-inflammatory effects of Curcumin ('active' pat of Turmeric).

Crohn's can cause Iron deficiency, so that makes sense.

Si
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements