May 23, 2019, 08:13:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: 140kg Deadlift  (Read 80336 times)
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »

Did this today. Im the first but Ill be beaten down soon Im sure.

Got 18 (last one I rushed and didnt really lockout so Ill leave it to you to decide. I think its 18. You may say 17).

Ill post tonight.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

Here's my attempt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNgo_Owreo
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »

Nice start Mon, no straps either. Looks like there's more in the tank too.
felix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »

Great lifting Mon I think in all your videos it looks like you could do more and your form is also very good.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »

Thanks Felix. I wondered about my deadlift form so Im glad you said that.

Cheers Jon.

I think it looks as though there's more in the tank because I stop when my form goes. There was no way I could have done another with the same form.

Maybe next time, though im scared of doing it again! In truth though I should be doing it every workout, I guess! I have a love hate relationship with deadlifts!
Alex

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »

Shocked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlfhRahw-o Harris Knocking them out!!

Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »

Yeah, seems a while back now Alex. Need to get back into doing them! I think my first attempt was about 18 reps, but after a bit of training up got it past 30. If I recall there was some great competition on this challenge last time, with Fivos, Ben France, Phil Learney, Paul Amos and Pete Bullard all making around 30 reps.
Alex

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »

Jon do you think hamstring flexibility could be an issue with deadlifting and rounding of the back?

My flexibility in the hamstring area is horrendous and I am pretty sure this messes with my technique!
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »

Possibly, although I'd have thought hamstring flexibility would be more of an issue for stiff-leg deads than regular deads, as the former put the hams under a greater stretch. Having said that, my hams are not that supple either, I can only just touch my toes, although it's never affected my deadlifting.

I think rounding issues could be due to back strength too, and possibly technique. I always try to focus on a point on the ceiling and keep my head up, which tends to prevent rounding of the back.

Maybe one solution is to drop down in weight, correct form, and then build back up again slowly.
Alex

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »

Some valid points and im quite glad to there your not the most flexible either, well I can cross that off.

I can deadlift from the shin up to six plates without rounding of the back, when I go from the floor above 180kg my back rounds to a degree (I always stop if any sig nif rounding occurs), this is what made me question my hamstrings etc

I will try looking up this week and see how the works (I have read that before!!).

Tah
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

Alex,

Do you round at the bottom of your back or higher? Often hamstrings seem supple but when the back is properly straight they are horrendous. It may be that they are a bit tight and as such it is rounding at the bottom, when you are at the very bottom.

I have short arms and a long torso. And so to go off the floor I have to bend over more than someone with long arms and a short torso. Maybe you are the same as me and so it makes that bottom depth harder.

Those who round they're upper back tend to find it easier to get off the floor than those that keep straight and get their buttocks lower, but its a lot harder to lock out as you get up then have to hoist with your traps alone. If you start hollowed with your traps tight, then all you need to lock out is hip thrust.

If you round at the top, I would say you maybe lack trap strength in the bottom portion. If you round at the bottom maybe inflexible hamstrings or weaker erectors?

Or it may be that you start with your glutes too low like a squat (as you would in a clean or snatch start position), rather than slightly higher with your back straight. You cant squat from the floor like you would a clean. You have to deadlift it. Halfway between that and a SLDL. My form isnt the best but its come a long way by trying those points.
Alex

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

My form up to the weight the weights that casue the rounding of the back is text book, I can thank rippetoe for that.

I guess its just a muscle weakness that causes the rounding (its hard to pinpoint if its lower or upper, more the whole bloody back!!),

The only way is to keep deadlifting and strengthening up the lift GRADUALLY!
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »

Another great effort by Mon. How tall are you mon?

Personally I think people who are a little taller are always going to look a bit uglier form wise when it comes to this lift.

Alex have you tried doing trap bar deadlifts? If developing trap strength in that lower position is a factor I think its a great alternative to build up.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »

I'm 6 foot on the dot bully boy. I agree about tall people. But i think its more about arm to torso length ratios. Sometimes i get to a comfy position and my fingertips are barely touching the bar. But someone with long arms would be holding the bar by then. So i literally have to pull further. But, this situation is a great plus for me on the bench. Plenty of torso to arch and only a short press.
Monbeef

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:59:30 AM »

As they say, gorillas deadlift, t-rex's bench! I'm a t-rex. But my deadlift is finally improving. I think its come from strengthening my overhead press and as such my traps too, from doing power cleans and snatches so my leg and trap power is far higher now, and from laying off squats and legs for a while to allow me to focus and recover.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements