April 24, 2019, 09:20:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Howarth, NPA British Masters Champion  (Read 73165 times)
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »

steve please tell me my eyes are diceiving me ,your new pic of the young lad in photo omg?
dan236

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »

steve please tell me my eyes are diceiving me ,your new pic of the young lad in photo omg?

I recall him being on a Ch 4 documentary a few years back. I think this is him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJTSwoXSGag&feature=related
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »

It is a bit freaky!!

I run a google search for freaky bodybuilders and it is amazing what you can find.  The claim for the litle chaps lifts is mind boggling!
But just look at his development Roll Eyes
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

Hey steve. You delts are quite magnificent for a tall chap. Any tips for taller chaps on developing melon delts?
SteHowie

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »

LOL- It is all an illusion!

I found that I havea freaky rear delt on the left hadn side - it sticks out like a bit of beef glued on - the right doen't look like that Angry

I have from day dot though always trained the three heads.  And I tend to mix up the movements, rep ranges and positions.

So for pressing at the moment I mix one week of seated dumbell presses (am upto 40kg now - but struggle to get them up to my shoulders for the first press) and I have just started to do (not sure what you call it) 60Kg power cleans I think - so I hold the Olympic bar at my thighs - flick it to my shoulders and then press - then back down again??  I am failing on my traps doing this so obviously have a week point in there somewhere.
Always do side laterals - seated at the moment 12 reps x 3, fronts just 2 sets x 20 reps - both 18kg dumbells.  Then rears, favouring my head on an incline bench and body bent at 90degrees and then doing 8 reps with my hands parallell to my body and then 8 reps with my hands at 90 degrees - that is one set - I use the same weight x 3 sets.  I have a weak vertebra in my neck - so can quite happily do dent overs with a lot more weight - but then need a trip to the Chiro! - then I do shrugs - usually dumbells but also mix with bar - just straight up and down - no rotation - cause again that flicks my neck out.

I normally do shoulders with back, so not sure if that is the right thing to do - but it seems to work for me.

But like everything else - it is consistency that seems to work - I have never gone "heavy" never hurt them but have hit them week in week out for 25+ years - my shoulders are the first thing that rips up as well which makes them stand out a bit.
thebull

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »

Thank you steve. I am doing back and delts tonight so will follow your advice.
SteHowie

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

hi steve, i am a keen reader of ur journal, like you i am a tall guy 6,3. i also have a weak chest area, do you have any exersizes tips wich you could share to help me improve?
when you say you are on clean eating does that mean 100% or do you ever go out for food with ur family ect?
i saw you at the mwc andthebritish final this year and reading about ur chrons inspires me
many thanx
marvin
SteHowie

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »

Hi Merve
Thought I would move this one across so that I can continue the theme on here - hope you don't mind?

Chest - I hate training it - by fart the worst area for me to train - so I have made the decision to train it on its own - and I do things different every time.  I am power racking at the moment - on the smiths.  I put the bar about an inch from my chest and take the weigth from th ebottom, each rep I pause at the bottom - attempting to increase strength at the bottom of the movement. last time I did it - I managed to get up to 140kg for 3 - never done that before.

I have also followed the advice of a lot og guys on here with strong chests and I dip at the end of my work out.  I am still rubbish at doing it - still on my bodyweight only -= but it does seem to be having an impact.

I also don't do that much - 3 working sts on incline - 2 on mid incline and 3 on flat - with 3 dips to close - no isolation at the moment.

Clean eating - I don't eat any processed food at all, no buns biscuits, crisps, choc, rice, pasta, bread etc - so only clean sources usually oats, baked potato, tuna, chicken and eggs - with a bit of veg and fruit for good measure - but I take the skins off the fruit.  It is a ball ache and all the cooking kills me - but it is working. 
Eating out - every restuarant will make allowances for you - so yes I eat out - steak and veg, tuna steak and baked potato no butter!!  Just have to ask and make it clear what you need.
I don't dwell on it anymore - it is a way of life and I am pretty happy with the results.
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

Steve,

1. Thanks for that long post. The First half of it I thought you were describing me (apart from the flash car - Galaxy will have to do). I feel exactly like that. Jack of all trades, never had to work hard, and got some great stuff out of it but never the best.
Its made me think a few things through as I have struggled a lot with these thoughts lately - a) I am glad you helped me realise this while I am only 28 - though lots of opportunities will never come back like athletics and education options, and b) Now is the time to do things. I am still trying to do everything. I need one thing at a time. Commit and try, and then start to aim for it. Ie Judo, the strongman comp, and BB shows.

Secondly mate - Hang cleans are from standing, upright row into rack position. Pressing is optional. A power clean is a full clean but the bar is caught above a parallel front squat. Parallel and below catch is a clean. Smiley
SteHowie

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

Grin Just goes to show I haven't got a clue- but that movement really is testing my middle and upper back!  Pressing bit is easy - I wonder if it is down to the way I have trained back for all these years?  Stuck to deads and bent overs - where as I concentrated on middle back today again - with machines and T bar - and really can feel my middle back and all down my spine - so from now I think I will have 2 workouts and mix it up.

Mon - I have been struggling with that question for ages - cause there is not real single point for my motivation. I don't really aspire to get bigger - never did - just enjoy training and being in the gym, I don't want to get stronger - never been a driver and now too old and on the downward spiral Sad , never really had a hero to aspire to look like (Tony Currie - long haired skinny bloke who could do marvelous things with a football) so what the heck does make you train consistently for twenty plus years with no real goal?  I still can't nail that bit?

The comp thing really was to show my daughters that I was no super man (Daddy Hero worship) in the first instance, then it was to prove to them that the easy option is to quit - but if you try hard you can achieve way beyond your expectations  Grin

Think it was also a mid life crisis Cry

But it has left me with a real desire to go and do it all again, even after all the trials and tribulations of last year and the ups and downs - I am a strange person - but then aren't we all?
SteHowie

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »

I also agree Mon - you can have it all over a period of time - but as you have a real talent for Judo - grasp it with both hands.

That Olympic goal will help the powerlifting and bodybuilding - but that is a side line.  Aim for Gold - and I will happily be in the crowd cheering you on.  Grin
thebull

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

Went for some single arm clean and press steve, had already deadlifted pretty heavy but traps are feelin it today!
merve500
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »

thanx for that steve. i am reall enjoying this journal and look forward to reading more
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »

Thanks stevie. Some good advice there mate i certainly wont take for granted.

Im enrolled in the strongman comp as its for charity and i figured i'm training for it anyway by trying to get stronger so rather than talk about it like i always do, ill have a fun day out with the family doing it. And in turn the training will make me bigger and leaner physically, and stronger and fitter for the judo.

I had to miss a few early comps this year in judo due to dates, but there are a lot from the summer onwards both in comps and contest gradings as ill be a brown belt then and fighting for black.
Then after 2011, with some good comp experience, another year's knowledge and practice, and a black belt round my waist i'll be ready to starting fighting for national ranking, senior trials invites and the gb squad.

Then thanks to your advice and inspiration, when i'm done, i can turn to the natural bodybuilding stage. And chase my other sporting dream.
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »

Steve,

Q1. who was the first bodybuilder you saw that really fired your imagination?
Q2. your standing infront of the squat bar, whats going through your mind?
Q3. World champion.. describe how you feel when you look at the pictures from that day(or the trophy is the missus has not put into storage Wink and do you know your a big inspiration to alot of people ?

just at my gym a lad i trained suffers with stomach ulcers and i pointed him in your direction, now he hammers it hard because he sees that it is something he can overcome if he keeps things moving forwards.

Q4. any tips on keeping the missus sweet when breaking the news your competing lol? Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements