April 24, 2019, 09:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: John Heaton, INBF World Champion  (Read 62491 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »

Welcoming John Heaton, 2011 INBF World Champion, 2010 UIBBN World, 2010 NPA Pro-Am and 2 x NPA British Champion.

Strength and Conditioning coach in professional rugby and MMA.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle.  Cool
Zid

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »

Morning John,

Hope you are well and congratulations on a great year in 2010. I saw you at Leamington and you looked awesome!

Your condition is always spot on, how far out do you start your diet?

Also, I know this is probably second nature now but when you initially competed, how did you know what your competition weight would be?

I appreciate that now you have competed on many occasions, you are aware of your competitive weight and roughly how much you should weigh on contest date but my question relates to your first show.

Thanks
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »

as Zid above me said your known for your outstanding condition, and being a taller bodybuilder I take alot of inspiration from what you have accomplished.

do you stay within shooting distance of stage weight offseason and do you have anything you do to help prevent muscle loss when getting to very lean levels?

also favorite kind of cardio and why? i have seen your vids of you doing sandbag drills and strengh conditioning work and was thinking of incorporating it myself. seems like a manner of training that would lead to greater muscle retention than purely aerobic training.
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »

Hello John,

Very interested if you could share with us your typical cardio methods please?

Thanks

Damo
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys. It is nice to know that I can inspire anyone to work hard to achieve something. Once sportsmen and women pass 33-35yrs of age they tend to get written off. Bodybuilding is the perfect sport for us to move into in our 30's as we dont have the knocks and impact of other sports but we can still strive to achieve something.
When I started in 2004 aged 33 I had no idea what I wanted to achieve. Not to come last was my first goal. Since then I wanted to win a qualifier, then the Britain then a UIBBN title. I have systematically ticked these boxes. I have made some lifelong friends and travelled Europe to represent my country. What more could I ask for as an average Swimmer then Rugby Player.

Anyway, I always get asked about my views on cardio for conditioning. It is no coincidence that I have achieved my best ever condition in 2009 & 2010 and I have stopped doing cardio! Yes, you heard it right. It was Ian Duckett's idea that I try something different and to be honest, not power walking or cycling every day to strip fat makes life much less stressful.
I always try to stay around 88-90kg off season and compete around 80-82kg. I would love to compete at 85kg ripped and that is my aim if I ever compete again. Perhaps I will have to go to 90-93kg in the off season to achieve this.
I dont do cardio other than the odd walk or bike with my kids. My diet and metabolic conditioning sessions take care of my bodyfat so I dont need to. I am currently working on a book on how to get in contest shape with minimal cardio. I hope to get it finished this Summer when I finish Uni.
I am updating my Blog on NPA website with some workouts so be sure to check it out. I hope to get some vid's on there soon as well.

Did this answer the questions?

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »

Hya Jhon

Very interesting achieving your best conditioning with no cardio.
Put me down for a copy of your book please.
Staying in good nic all year round helps and i guess is a big factor, i used to do lots of Volume training, training fast with lots of drop sets ect and for sure a was ripped all the time,perhaps this with lots of glute work would do the job for contest prep ,but maybe with out going to total failure on each set .....

I still do enjoy cardio just 25 min walk Monday to friday ...infact the other week i was doing fast sprints in the field with walking that was brill.

Thanks John

M

M
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »

I already knew the answer to that question as John picked mine for his npa blog  Grin

As we have another place to ask questions now John I am gonna pick your brain again!
How does a conditioning session (instead of cardio) fit into your weekly plan and can you give a small example of one?
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »

Pete

My schedule is very tight having 2 jobs, being a fulltime student and having 3 kids. I train as and when I get chance. I set my targets for the week. At the moment, I am doing Wendler 5, 3, 1 so I make sure I get a press, deadlift, bench and squat session per week. Anything on top is a bonus. Based on this I am doing 4 x weights sessions per week and usually 1 Met Con session per week. I often add a 'finisher' to a weights session if I have time i.e. prowler pushes at the end of a leg session.

One of my conditioning sessions done recently was
Warm up - Mobilise, activate and foam roll, 10 mins
Barbell Complex - Wide RDL, power snatch, overhead squat, behind neck jerks, row. Bar for sets of 8, 30kg for sets of 6 and 40kg for sets of 5.
Prowler Suicides - 5m shuttle, 10m shuttle, 15m shuttle x 50kg x 3.
Protein shake and shower! Tongue
merve500
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:13 PM »

Hi john,
what do your metabolic conditioning sessions consist of?
many thanx
M
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:04:21 PM »

Merve
The above was 1 example of what I would call a Met/Con session.
www.crossfit.com has lots more examples.

As bodybuilders we work our socks off to become anabolic and build muscle. Some of us naturals find this harder than others, especially busy fitness professionals like myself that is constantly on his feet, demonstrating exercises, racing clients on the rower, taking them walking, etc. The last thing I need is slow, long steady state exercise which has been shown to be catabolic. Compare sprinters to power walkers!!
I also am very busy so if i can get a 20 minute metabolic boost I will take it.

I use boxing circuits, tabata sprints on the rower, kettlebell/dumbell/barbell/bodyweight complexes and sometimes Hurricane sessions courtesy of Martin Rooney and 'Training for Warriors'.
This may not be for everyone though. Some people love getting the ipod on and pounding the treadmill/streets for an hour. Not my cup of green tea ;)I am afraid. I dont use fat burners either and some people wont leave home without them.
What do you use for fat burning Merve?

Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »

Hi John,

I have two questions: 1. Re your met con example above, do you perform all those exercises on tne trot a rep each, then class it all as one rep? Then keep going til 8? Or do you do say 8 rdl, 8 power snatch, 8 overhead press etc until you've done all the exercises?
I do all those exercises anyway and love them, and will try that session. I compiled a similar leg session based on different types of squats starting with o.head, then front, then zercher, then back. All without stopping.

2. How did you become a strength amd conditioning coach for sports? I have sports science qualifications and fitness instructor quals but am not a personal trainer and am not reps level 3. But i love coming up with new training systems, some of which have been very successful, and i lead a group conditioning session every week which i really enjoy.
The reason i ask, is the only element of pt type work i ever really enjoyed was sports specific training for athletes and groups. Eventually i will be a judo coach, and i would love to be able to work as a strength and conditioning coach too for martial artists, track and field athletes and rugby teams etc just like yourself. But i dont know how to get into it, outside of general pt training?

Cheers mate

James.

PS - you're an inspiration to me for starting at 33. I'm 28 and although taking it year by year i feel it will be a few years of other sports before i eventually get on stage. Its nice to know that such achievement is possible starting at that age, and im looking forward to giving it a try.
MJP
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »

Do you ever miss your rugby days, John, and all the food and beer that went with it!?  Cool
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »

Mon

Barbell Complexes [url]http://danjohn.net//url]

Simply put you do 8 reps of exercise 1, 8 reps of 2, 8 reps of 3, etc. When you have done all 5 exercises the bar hits the floor. You can then rest, change weight, etc. When you combine pushes, pulls, presses, squats, etc this becomes a fat burning inferno.

Re my S&C work, it is still evolving. I have worked in rugby league for Cas Tigers, Gateshead Thunder and now Batley Bulldogs. It is not as glamorous as it sounds and unless you are lucky and land a full time position you do a lot of work for very little reward both financially and appreciation from players. Some get it and appreciate what you are trying to do. Others see you as a sadistic mad man that makes them ache every week. I have done all my PT Level 3 qualifications, SAQ course, and Nutrition Diploma. I am also doing a Foundation Degree and working towards UKSCA Accreditation. Any pro team or association require a degree and UKSCA Accreditation.

MJP
Yes, I do miss playing rugby but my ankles and knees are absolutely shot. I need painkillers to even run, hence my choice not to. Being involved with Batley is good. I get the crack with the lads although like I said, some of em are not on board.

SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

Hi Jon

I am going to return the favour with your question on my Q&A - it really nailed me and bowled me over, if we can insire one person on this forum to go for it - we have done our jobs Grin

I am curious to know how you stay motivated, you always have the best condition, but that doesn't guarantee winning a comp.

So what makes you come back year after year in incredible nick?
Gym-pig

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »

John ,

I was doing cardio this morning whilst readin a Beef from 2007 or 2008 .
Was that you in the classic class at a BNBFF contest ?

If so what was it like competing against untested athletes ?
Also you look far far more ripped these days - what have you improved on ?

( If it wasnt then just ignore me - must be halicinating on my diet !)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements