April 24, 2019, 09:21:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: John Heaton, INBF World Champion  (Read 62490 times)
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »

Another q for you pal, I'm sure I saw u put somewhere u were trying to bring up your pl totals to help the olympic lifting. What sort of poundage are you shifting in the big three at the moment? I know from your max ot vids a while back you used a machine to deadlift?
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

So many questions to answer at once.

Steve.
I have set little targets since my debut in 2004. First one was not to come last at my Novice Qualifier, I placed 2nd to Michael Smith. I then had the same target at the BNBF and NPA Novice finals. I placed 3rd and 1st.
My next goal was to win a qualifier in a weight class. I won the NPA welsh and the overall. I then wanted a top 3 place at the British in a Weight class, I placed 3rd in 2005 to Kevin Skelland and Gus. I then wanted to represent GB in an international which meant winning either the Britain or the Yorkshire. I won the Britain in 2006 and placed 2nd in the UIBBN Worlds. Finally I wanted a UIBBN title which I won in 2010.
So, that is what kept me motivated. I am not sure what my next move is. I am happy training and eating. No pressure. I have planned to have a go at Powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting again. This leads me to The Bulls question.
I am not too great at the heavy stuff. I think my genetics are crap as I keep picking up little tendon injuries. My age doesnt help. I am targetting a 500kg total for the powerlifting and trying for a 160kg total in the oly lifts.(my training partner clean and jerks 150-160kg)
Finally, yes I did the UKBFF (I think that is what you meant Gym pig) Classic class in 2007. I placed 2nd to Sean Ferguson at the British Finals.
MJP
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »

Talk us all through how you felt getting those two big titles at the end of last year, John; The Mike Williams Pro-Am, and the UIBBN Worlds. Especially tell us your feelings when you were just about to hear who was second, bearing in mind your Victor Meldrew view  Grin that you might get another damned second place, especially in Barcelona!  Cool
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »

MJP

I think my reaction at both shows said it all. I sat at the MWC amongst Wayne's army of supporters who took up the whole of the upstairs with Madeleine and the kids and I must say I was even more grumpy than usual Sad Sad As I said in the past, I stupidly read the forums and everyone seemed to have an idea of who was going to win what and it can get to you when your dieting. When Ian said to me backstage, 'you've got this mate' I still didnt believe him. He said that to me at the Yorkshire the year before!! When I heard Neil, whom I have admired for years getting called out in 2nd place I couldnt help but head to the back of the stage to nip down into the cellar Grin

Re Barcelona, I always remember Mezza walking into the restaurant in 2006 in Bolzano and everyone calling him World Champ. I honestly didnt think it would happen to me after getting close 2 or 3 times. I suppose it's all about timing. I had improved since 2006 and Felix had suffered an injury and probably gone backwards. I had a good chat with Stevie Howarth backstage and asked him what it felt like being a World Champion. He said I would find out soon enough. I still expected to be the bridesmaid again. Translating the announcer placing Felix in 2nd place was amazing. I am just glad Richie was peeping round the corner as he was genuinely chuffed for me which was ace after we had battled it out for the Britain 2 weeks before. That team spirit is the thing that I love about the GB trips. No more ego's, etc. We are just all mates helping eachother out. Smiley
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »

how do you balance your work, bodybuilding and home life? I can imagine there maybe a lot of time conficts?
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

Good question. I am not sure I do sometimes. I am a self employed personal trainer, full time student doing a sports coaching degree, strength coach for Batley Bulldogs and British Combat Academy and also have 3 kids (who all have hobbies) and my wife is working in Glasgow! No wonder I am going bald. I squeeze workouts in as an when. I trained with the Rugby league players last night (gym not pitch). I sometimes train with the fighters or even some of my more advanced PT clients. Usually though I train on my own in between sessions. At least I dont have to diet anymore so that stress is taken out of the equation. Thats why I lose patience when people moan that they dont have the time to train or cant afford to compete. Ian Duckett trains at 5.30am most days. I train with him 6am on Saturdays. If you want it you will find time.
DDG
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »

Good question. I am not sure I do sometimes. I am a self employed personal trainer, full time student doing a sports coaching degree, strength coach for Batley Bulldogs and British Combat Academy and also have 3 kids (who all have hobbies) and my wife is working in Glasgow! No wonder I am going bald. I squeeze workouts in as an when. I trained with the Rugby league players last night (gym not pitch). I sometimes train with the fighters or even some of my more advanced PT clients. Usually though I train on my own in between sessions. At least I dont have to diet anymore so that stress is taken out of the equation. Thats why I lose patience when people moan that they dont have the time to train or cant afford to compete. Ian Duckett trains at 5.30am most days. I train with him 6am on Saturdays. If you want it you will find time.

That's absolutely key. Where the mind goes, the body will usually follow!!
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:37 AM »

I saw you take the pro am class at the MWC and your conditioing was the best on stage that night, really impressed me (and the wife lol)

how do you fit in your nutrition with your busy lifestyle? i am guessing alot of your meals are either pre-prepared or of the very quick variety.
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »

I am chuckled at when dieting because I take my coolerbag filled with Tupperware everywhere. That was amusing last year as I go to Uni on my 125cc scooter so I was loaded up with gym bag, college bag and cooler bag on my back. I looked like one of those guys in India that travel to Market on scooters with all their stock on their backs Grin Grin
If I know I can't get hold of a healthy meal (very rare) I will take my own. I do rely on meal replacement too more at this stage.
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »

Now that is a very funny image - not one you expect from a World Champ  Grin

I am known as Mr Tupperware at work!!  Or at least that is the friendliest name I have heard Grin
MJP
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »

Has the 'World Champion title helped you in your working life John? I know it certainly helped Ian Duckett, and its a great tag to have to your name; can you tell us, especially the ones who are striving to build their personal training businesses, how it can possibly open more doors...while I obviously realise that there's a lot more to the PT business than having a title like that (its a results business!), are you incorporating that title in trying to get more business?  Cool
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »

To be honest, i have been disappointed not to get any real recognition from becoming world champion other than kind words from my friends and family. Sad
I am lucky to have 2 great sponsors already in Udo's and Powerhouse Fitness (Smart-tec) and I am pleased to win for them but Total Fitness havent been interested or the local press other than 1 tiny piece in the Wakey Express that I sent them.
I suppose I need some Duckett marketing skills Cool
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »

Hi John,

Very interesting Q&A's from yourself. I'm just about to try 5,3,1 which looks well structured.
Are you able to provide us with an example of your diet during prep please?
Is is typical AST style with large numbers of meal replacements and high protein?
Thanks
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »

The questions seem to be drying up so we can now ask the difficult ones!!

We all think that wining is the pinacle - but how do you cope with coming down after a long diet, winning the World Champs and getting on with normality?
What emotions run through you and do you contemplate on your achievements?
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

Keith
My diet is pretty standard. I have 3 meals and 3 meal replacements. Brekkie porridge with whey, fruit and Udo's, Lunch - sweet pot, tuna, cottage cheese, salad, udo's and piri piri. Tea brown rice, veg and chicken or turkey. I tend to make the evening meal with curry seasoning or something.

Steve
Coming down from Barcelona was with a big bump. Being away with GB guys is always the highlight of my year. The team spirit and friendships made makes it worth all the dieting and sacrifice. Coming back home to work and college where i am just Dad, or John is a reality check. My wife Madeleine and my kids are all proud of me as are my Mum and Dad but as I walk through work or college it is a bit surreal.
I do sometimes contemplate my achievements and I am my own worst critic. I have won a few titles and received some nice comments from people I admire and I have to remind myself. I have an ideal physique I am trying to build and I am still a way from it. When I reflect this is what I look at. I see photos from Barcelona and see where I can improve.
Does this answer your questions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements