February 20, 2019, 04:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: John Strange, Powerlifting Champion and Strongman  (Read 14793 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »

Welcoming John Strange, Natural Worlds Strongest Man competitor and Royal Navy, Army and Inter Services 125kg Champion in Powerlifting.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle. Cool
strange1

EQ Nutrition Sponsored Athlete!

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:33 PM »

thanks for the intro Jon and thanks for taking me on-board

thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »

Firstly John how does the NWSM compare to the real thing and is there site I can check it out on?

Secondly how much CV do you do as a strongman outside of your resistance and event work?
dan236

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »

John, whats the most effective powerlifting routine that you've used?
strange1

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »

Firstly John how does the NWSM compare to the real thing and is there site I can check it out on?

Secondly how much CV do you do as a strongman outside of your resistance and event work?

reps wise and time wise naturals are on par with the non tested but max lifts there is a big difference for example in the giants live or champions league your seeing 200kg log presses but iv not heard or seen a clean guy do more than 170kg.
the WNSF did have a site that hadnt be up dated since 2007 but they did say in oct when i competed in world that the fed is having a overhall as they have a big telecoms firm sponsoring them with an open cheque book and they are looking at making a new site wnsf.com or .org but its not up yet

I do 30mins CV 5 mornings a week at the mo as im trying to get under 105kg but normally il do 2 30min seshs a week this is more to keep my fitness for my fitness test at work as iv got to get my 114kg round 1.5 mile in under 11.38

John, whats the most effective powerlifting routine that you've used?

iv tried a few routines and all of them have there merits the two i favour are Russian power training and 5x5/3x3   i find the 5x5/3x3 works best with my bench and Russian power training works best for my squat and dead.  
dan236

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »

could you mix the 2 routines up or would you keep them separate?
strange1

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

i keep them separate as the 5x5/3x3 is harder on the CNS and you wouldnt get the most out of the rpt. what i plan on doing is 8weeks rpt followed by 2weeks deload then 4weeks 5x5 a deload week then 4 weeks 3x3 
strange1

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »

just in case your intrested here is a link to the RPT program i use

http://www.joeskopec.com/ruspeak.html
winter

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »

Hi John,

Q. How long have you been training powerlifting for?
Q. Over the years, what have your progressed in the most? (dead, squat, press....)

thanks
strange1

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »

Hi John,

Q. How long have you been training powerlifting for?
Q. Over the years, what have your progressed in the most? (dead, squat, press....)

thanks

I started training for rugby about 7-8 years ago, and i noticed i was getting quite strong and have always liked strongman so 4years ago i geared my training for strongman and did my first comp in 2009.

iv only been competing in powerlifting for 18month and was quite successful so kept doing it but strongman is my 1st sport.

i think both my squat and deadlift have come on equally. iv come on loads with my pressing but pressing has always been an Achilles heal for me weather it is bench or overhead 
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »

Hi John
Jon Heaton posed a very difficult question that really made me stop and think - so I am going to ask it to all on the Q&A.

What Motivates you?  Both in the past to be the best - and what motivates you now to kick on?
What aspirations have you for the next few years?
strange1

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:36 AM »

been snowed under at work so not been on for a few days

my motivation comes from a few places they are personal pride wanting to do everything to the best i possibly can  instituted in my by the military, seeing the dedication my Mate Barny Du Plessis puts into his bb and many other grate feats of strength speed ect

my goals for the next 3-4 years are to come top 3 at worlds natural strongest man and to total 900kg in powerlifting. id also like to get on the world high land game circuit. and make part of my living from sport
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

Think this may be a very daft question - but if you are lifting at max all the time or approaching that to increase the 1 rep max - are you more injury prone?

Do you find you adapt to the extreme stresses placed on your body?

Do you also feel that as time catches up on you that potential for damage increases?

How do you go about protecting yourself from these instances?
strange1

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »

I used to lift at max every other week and would have niggling injures all the time. Now I work to my russian power training and 5x5 which means I don't max any more than once every 4 months it almost a dead cert that your be injured maxin week in week out. The top strongmen and powerlifters hardly ever max out. For example big loz never maxs out and has not failed a squat in 6year
Badger

To press a lot, you must press a lot. -Sheiko

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »

John how do you structure both the powerlifting and strongman training into each training week?

Also do you do specific strongman event training? If so is that done just in the run up to a event or is it a year round thing even when powerlifting?

Also having maxed out properly on a move I now understand why it is only a few times a year that expperienced lifters do there biggest weights. As doing maximum singles often  is like taking a wrecking ball to your body lol.

Started doing strongman stuff a few months back and its great for becoming a all round stronger lifter. Good fun as well.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements