April 24, 2019, 09:47:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Oakes, UIBBN World Champion  (Read 120644 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »

Welcoming Mark Oakes, 2011 NPA British Overall Champion, 2007 UIBBN World Champion, 2005 NPA British Overall Champion.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle.  Cool
Natural Oak

WNBF Pro World, 3x NPA, 1x UKDFBA, ProAm Champ

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »

Hi all. Was a bit in two minds on this one...been 4 years almost since I was on stage! Also keen that the current elite in our sport get exposure and share their approaches. That said, feel free to ask anything you fancy...I've been competing since 19, training since 15 and am nearly 39...and training full on. So hopefully some will get something out of the topics which may be raised here.

My aim...provide my fair opinion and inspire where possible.  So...let's be having you...
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »

Hya Mark

Around how many grams of whey protein do you take each day and has this changed over the years gone buy.

I kinda got carried away years ago and was consuming tuns of the stuff thinking i would grow more lol .

Respect

M

Adam

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

Hi Mark 

Remeber reading an old article on yourself and your training, in this you explained that your training was always hard and heavy reps 4-6 per set and around 4 exercise for large bodyparts and 3 for small ?  has this changed alot  ? 

If you dont mind me asking what does a good days eating look like off season and thne on season ?   How many 'real food ' meals do you consume in comparison to protein shakes  with oats for example?

Thanks in advance for your reply 
ps tried your killer squat drop set the other day  bloody hell didmy quads hurt for days  Shocked
Monbeef

Author of The Tower Grave - available on Amazon!

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »

Hi Mark,

Is it true you incline dumbbell press with 60kg dumbbells?

Have you always trained for strength?

Cheers

James
K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

I was lucky enough to train with Mark at Monster Gym a few years back. Just one workout showed me intensity at a new level!
‘Hard and heavy’ is a perfect way of describing it Adam.

I’d also like to thank Mark for his advice when I was deep in contest diet and over analyzing everything  Smiley
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »

After being blown away with your Facebook photo  Grin do you have any plans to swap places from the "front row" to the stage this year?
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »

Hi All,
Apologies for the slow responses...full on week at work...you know how it is. Anyway, here goes...   Cool
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »

Hya Mark

Around how many grams of whey protein do you take each day and has this changed over the years gone buy.

I kinda got carried away years ago and was consuming tuns of the stuff thinking i would grow more lol .

Respect

M

Hey Mezza!
I guess much like yourself, a fair amount of trial and error has been involved with supplements...as well as the inevitable financial constraints which always need to be balanced! That said, if you’re spending hard earned cash, you want the best bang for your buck and protein is where it’s at!
Currently I’m having around 80-100g whey per day. I’d have 150g when I’m dieting. Years gone by, it was never really much higher, I had less cash and was not fortunate enough to be sponsored...so from this point of view I’m now in an ideal situation. Previously it was carbs that I used to eat to excess...carb drinks and flap jacks...back when I was 16 st off-season (i.e...bit fat!!)
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:13 AM »

Hi Mark 

Remeber reading an old article on yourself and your training, in this you explained that your training was always hard and heavy reps 4-6 per set and around 4 exercise for large bodyparts and 3 for small ?  has this changed alot  ? 

If you dont mind me asking what does a good days eating look like off season and thne on season ?   How many 'real food ' meals do you consume in comparison to protein shakes  with oats for example?

Thanks in advance for your reply 
ps tried your killer squat drop set the other day  bloody hell didmy quads hurt for days  Shocked

Hi Adam,

Blimey, just shows, be careful what you write and say...people remember!  Shocked Yep, my training approach is still pretty much the same. Large bodyparts, after warming up, 4 exercises and 2 sets on each. Small bodyparts, 3 exercises with 2 sets on each.  Cool

I still favour 4-6 reps on the whole. But do mix it up with drop sets, 21’s, supersets etc from time to time. The aim being to keep it varied and reduce the risk of injury IMO.

A typical off season day diet looks like this;

Breakfast -
Omelette, 3 whole eggs, 3 whites, ½ tin tuna
Oats, all-bran, mixed fruit (don’t weigh anything ofseason)

Mid morning -
Meal replacement
Approx 40g protein, total 270 Kcal. I tend to mix 1 ½ scoops Reflex Mass gain with scoop Reflex whey

Lunch –
Tin tuna, pasta, tomatoes
½ pit stop bar (bit of extra protein)

Pre-workout drink (training days) –
3 scoops Reflex performance matrix, 2 scoops Reflex NOS Fusion
TRAIN

Post workout meal replacement (as mid-morning)

Dinner – (combination of the following)
200-220g serving tuna loin/salmon/chicken breast
Jacket potatoe/Stir fry rice and veg/fresh pasta
Supplements (taken throughout the day with each meal, before/after training as appropriate)–
Vit C, Vit E, Multivitanin, Multi mineral, Linseed Oil, EPA, Glucosamine, BCAAs, Glutamine, Creatine

Precontest looks like this....
1.5 l water with every meal, all protein in ½ l water, as much coffee as desired

8am - Breakfast
6 boiled egg whites
½ tin tuna spring water

Multi-vitamin (x1)
Multi-mineral complex (x1)
HMB - 1000mg
Vitamin E - 600iu
Vitamin C - 2000mg
Glucosamine Hydrochloride – 800mg
Mega EPA 1000 (x2) – 2000mg fish oil concentrate
CLA – 1 sachet
Flax/Linseed Oil – 2000mg

10am Fusion protein

11am ½ Carb Force, creatine (5g), glutamine (5g)

12pm Fusion protein

2pm – Lunch
45g pasta shells
1 tin tuna spring water
½ tin tomatoes

HMB - 1000mg
Vitamin C - 2000mg

4pm Fusion protein, glutamine (5g)

4:30pm Train if training day

6pm Fusion protein, glutamine (5g), creatine (10g) – post weights, pre-cardio

8pm – Dinner

300g jacket potato
EITHER, 200g fish (tuna loin, salmon, trout) OR chicken breast & ½ tin tuna
HMB - 1000mg
Vitamin C - 2000mg
Glucosamine Hydrochloride – 800mg
And as to the drop set?? Nice one! Don’t know if it makes your legs grow...but I like to occasionally have this type of challenge. I feel that when you train, diet etc. So much of it is a mental battle, and this type of challenge just gives you the chance to really stretch yourself.
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »

Hi Mark,

Is it true you incline dumbbell press with 60kg dumbbells?

Have you always trained for strength?

Cheers

James

James...who have you been talking to???  Wink Haven’t pressed above 57.5kgs on the incline since before rotator cuff repair in 2009. Happily getting 3 reps on these now with a spot for couple extra. Always been a good presser though and put it down to elbows which have never locked out and consequently strong triceps and elbows. Wasn’t as helpful when I was a young child doing gymnastic though! Also from 7-21 years did lot of press ups with Karate which may well have helped.
I would not say I have always trained for strength at all. Have always trained as a bodybuilder with that as my goal. But do challenge myself and measure some progress in the gym by keeping track of the weight. Beyond that...like lifting heavy and feel it suits my physique.
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »

I was lucky enough to train with Mark at Monster Gym a few years back. Just one workout showed me intensity at a new level!
‘Hard and heavy’ is a perfect way of describing it Adam.

I’d also like to thank Mark for his advice when I was deep in contest diet and over analyzing everything  Smiley

Keith – you’re most welcome.  Cool

If anyone is ever in my neck of the wood or fancies a trip to Coventry, always happy to have guests to train. Gotta be up for having a heavy workout though, and by that I mean pushing yourself!  Grin Not necessarily heavy compared to anyone else. Wink
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »

After being blown away with your Facebook photo  Grin do you have any plans to swap places from the "front row" to the stage this year?

Thanks!  Smiley

That would be telling  Wink but in a word..."Yes"!!  Cheesy
DDG
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »

Breakfast -
Omelette, 3 whole eggs, 3 whites, ½ tin tunaOats, all-bran, mixed fruit (don’t weigh anything ofseason)

That's about 50grams of solid protein in one hit. How do you manage to absorb all of that? Realistically, I reckon a natural bodybuilder can expect to absorb only about half that amount in the solid form and possibly more in the liquid form post-workout only.
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »

Yep, agree, unlikely that all absorbed in terms of utilisation for synthesis. Not necessarily in terms of cal absorption, with excess being either excreted or stored as fat. Since I am happy to carry extra weight off season, see none of these as problem. Since well established that excess protein is hardest macro to be deposited ( v protein/carbs), I'd rather have excess from this.
Beyond that...hungry in the morning! Beyond that...works for me.

Hope this answers your question!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements