February 20, 2019, 05:25:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Oakes, UIBBN World Champion  (Read 118274 times)
DDG
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »

Yep, agree, unlikely that all absorbed in terms of utilisation for synthesis. Not necessarily in terms of cal absorption, with excess being either excreted or stored as fat. Since I am happy to carry extra weight off season, see none of these as problem. Since well established that excess protein is hardest macro to be deposited ( v protein/carbs), I'd rather have excess from this.
Beyond that...hungry in the morning!

Hope this answers your question!

Yeah good point. If you're happy to be fat, I guess it doesn't really matter. The excess protein will be stored as fat because it's being consumed with a large quantity of carbs (oats, all bran, mixed fruit - [and which also contain a small amount of incomplete protein]), which are also competing for utilisation. In a different context, where protein is high and carbs are much lower I would tend to agree that excess protein is the hardest macro to be deposited and also forces the metabolism to work harder.
Natural Oak

WNBF Pro World, 3x NPA, 1x UKDFBA, ProAm Champ

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »

For me, it is the way I look on stage which guides some of these methods. Balanced with what I enjoy in my life.

I reckon most people would agree...I am fat! To be cognisent that not all are as experienced as yourself or realise your "sense of humour", probably worth stressing that I don't consider "carrying extra weight" as one and the same with "being fat". I am sure we all agree that excessively low fat levels, especially for extended periods would never be considered healthy by medical doctors. Nor would they be conducive to either muscle growth or strength gains, whichever the individuals goal.

Thank you for your constructive question to further this Q&A thread which I hope helps meet my aims of presenting my fair opinion and inspiring where possible.
dan236

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »

It's what you look like on stage that matters, not what you look like on the street  & plus Mark, you're titles from on stage speak for themselves.
Michael Hannam
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

Hiya mark

Hope your training is going to plan i'm sure we will be seeing you on stage later in the year. Good luck with what ever show you decide to do!

Q. Your a strong guy have you ever thought about swopping your trunks for a leotard and having a go at powerlifting?
Q. What do you currently weigh?
Q. What one rep max's do you think you could lift at bench, squat and deadlift?

Cheers mate
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »

Hiya mark

Hope your training is going to plan i'm sure we will be seeing you on stage later in the year. Good luck with what ever show you decide to do!

Q. Your a strong guy have you ever thought about swopping your trunks for a leotard and having a go at powerlifting?
Q. What do you currently weigh?
Q. What one rep max's do you think you could lift at bench, squat and deadlift?

Cheers mate

Hey Michael,
Thanks for the question...maybe see you on stage too? Or judging??

- never really been tempted with powerlifting or strongman. Definitely not got the height or structure for strongman, my technique in the 3 lifts would not stand up to powerlifting and to he honest it's not something I would look to address, since I am more interested by competing as a bodybuilders but challenging myself with heavy weight to meet this end. So for example, while I "squat" in the gym with 220 and 260 when going heavy, the depth is compromised, but I feel it still helps muscle growth in the quad and generally. Not sure how much I would do one rep max with approved power lifter technique...about 180 I guess. Max deadlift with belt and straps is 260, but usually go for 2-3 reps with 240. Not really doing much heavy bench since breaking my thumb, rotator cuff injury completely recovered and does not impinge at all.. but the thumb does a little. Have recently managed 180kgs. Tending to use Smith and dumbells for heavy pressing since pushes differently on pad of thumb.

Am currently weighing 92kgs which is a couple more than use to weigh off-season, which is likely due to more time away with work. Hopefully some of it is also muscle.gained over 4 years from last comp...we'll just have to wait and see!
Wolverine

2010 NPA Britain

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »

39! Never. You must be 40 by now Wink
Anyways you old codger. I have managed to reach the 90kg off season mark and my love handles are returning.
As a 'big bloke' in the off season how do you try to ensure you add quality muscle during an off season. I am convinced I will always be 80-82kg when in shape no matter what.
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »

39! Never. You must be 40 by now Wink
Anyways you old codger. I have managed to reach the 90kg off season mark and my love handles are returning.
As a 'big bloke' in the off season how do you try to ensure you add quality muscle during an off season. I am convinced I will always be 80-82kg when in shape no matter what.

Not long now, mate...we'll be mano a mano in the Masters...you, me, Steve H., Delroy and Ian D!!  Wink

90kg...eat more Krispy Kremes...food of champions! Joking aside, I do usually get to around the high 80s off season, but do little else other than train and work. Guess your conditioning, rugby and running about after your kids keeps the weight down.

As to the question, don't really know the answer. I try to keep protein high, get plenty of rest, which is easy in terms of time away from the gym, only training 4 times per week, but hectic job with fair bot of international travel means that nowaday the rest is not always good quality. Also, I can always see my abs, obliques and plenty of detail in quads, so hopefully the training is moving my physique in the right direction.

Do feel though, that at my (our!!  Wink  Cheesy ) age, I am really improving quality of muscle as opposed to adding any meaningful mass. And this can be seen from my competitive weight over the last 9 years, which has been fairly static.
Michael Hannam
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »

Hiya Mark

I cant believe your 39! I thought you were in your low to mid 30's!!

Q. How long have you been competing, i thought i read some where that you competed as a junior if so in what year and how did you get on?
Q. Since turning 30 to present has your training consistently improved over the years? (meaning growth and strength)
Q. since turning 30 do you suffer from more training related injuries?

I'm 29 and dredding turning 30 as everyone tells me its down hill from then on! lol  Grin

Thanks mate
Adam

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »

Thanks for your reply to my first question Mark

My second one is around your leg training well quads and calve really.   

Do you still stick in the low rep range 4-8 for these bodyparts or on the whole do you tend to go sliglhty higher in reps ?  Often hear of people taining quads and calve in slighlty higer rep range and wanted to hear your view . 

Thanks again
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »

Hiya Mark

I cant believe your 39! I thought you were in your low to mid 30's!!

Q. How long have you been competing, i thought i read some where that you competed as a junior if so in what year and how did you get on?
Q. Since turning 30 to present has your training consistently improved over the years? (meaning growth and strength)
Q. since turning 30 do you suffer from more training related injuries?

I'm 29 and dredding turning 30 as everyone tells me its down hill from then on! lol  Grin

Thanks mate

Hey Michael,
My first show was the ANB South East qualifier as a 19 year old. I competed in both this and the following year in both qualifier and British Final. At 20 I cam third in the finals to Pete Chown (1st) and Simon Fan (2nd)...so good company!!
Since turning 30, my training has been very consistent, with the exception of 2009 with non-training injuries/surgery. I am much more in control of my own destiny wrt work, and although have competing priorities, training sessions never get missed, just sometimes rearranged. Additionally, sponsorships and more disposable income helps in terms of not really being limited in terms of supplementations.

When I end up in the gym much later that I would like and perhaps tired, I always console myself with the attitude that those are the workouts which make the difference! Anyone can train when they feel fresh and fully rested, itís the ones where you have to really dig deep which make the difference.
Definitely feel my training has pushed on since turning 30, since I only won my first British Title at the age of 30...overall at 33...World at 35...so I guess my physique has matured a little later in terms of competitive success than some of the current elite.
In terms on training related injuries, i have never suffered from anything particularly noteworthy. The occasional tweak in my lower back, and we are talking 2 or 3 times ever, had sore wrists a couple of years ago, which resolved when I had enforced rest after shoulder surgery and elbow complaint about 7 years ago. Given that I train consistently and heavy, I feel this is an acceptable rate of minor injuries. I put this down to training different movements every single workout and also varying which type of movement I go heavy with e.g. heavy press one week, heavy fly the following.
Donít dread it mate! Having achieved what you have so far and with the clear understanding which you obviously have of where you can achieve your physique, youíll be around for some time yet, if you choose to!
Natural Oak

natural+oak natural+oak
Email
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »

Thanks for your reply to my first question Mark

My second one is around your leg training well quads and calve really.   

Do you still stick in the low rep range 4-8 for these bodyparts or on the whole do you tend to go sliglhty higher in reps ?  Often hear of people taining quads and calve in slighlty higer rep range and wanted to hear your view . 

Thanks again

Adam, youíre welcome!
Quads Ė yep, stick with the low rep range most of the time. And when I say most, I mean that I will occasionally for one of my three quad exercises throw in a drop set/superset/21s or 50 rep set. This is really to keep things fresh, challenge the muscle differently and IMO mitigate the chance of overuse injuries.
Calfs Ė ideally I would stick to same rep range and go heavy. The quandary here is often that calfs are by their very nature so strong that it is often not always the case that the gym you are in has the equipment which can be loaded up enough! Especially since as with all body parts I try to use different movement each week. For calfs the two central themes I stick with are to remember to try to focus an exercise on the gastrocnemius and one on the soleus. In other word one (e.g. seated calf raise) with the knee bent and one with the leg straight (Standing calf raise). I often superset with calfs also. The other thing I really focus on is to move the weight with the muscle and avoid bouncing which you see so often with people training calfs.
That said...always been a lagging bodypart for me, so guess weíll just have to see next time on stage if any of this has made a difference!!
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »

Mark,

For most big muscle groups I use two/3 compound movement (chest- incline and flat presses, back-deads, rows and chins, legs-squats, leg press) My shoulders are a weak point and I only usually focus on one pressing movement in a session. Do you think doing two types of pressing movement would help bring up my lagging boulders, or would I be better off chipping away at one press and laterals?
Any other tips for building shoulders and arms?
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »

Hi Mark
Jon Heaton posed a very difficult question that really made me stop and think - so I am going to ask it to all on the Q&A.

What Motivates you?  Both in the past to be the best - and what motivates you now to get back up on stage,
What aspirations have you for the next few years?
tony_b

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »

Breakfast -
Omelette, 3 whole eggs, 3 whites, Ĺ tin tunaOats, all-bran, mixed fruit (donít weigh anything ofseason)

That's about 50grams of solid protein in one hit. How do you manage to absorb all of that? Realistically, I reckon a natural bodybuilder can expect to absorb only about half that amount in the solid form and possibly more in the liquid form post-workout only.

You should see my lunches Dean ~150g protein.

The 'x g of protein per meal' myth was debunked as hocum a long time ago, wasn't it? Gastric release dictates how much you will digest, taken as a larger meal, you have slower release, so there is no concern - as the chyme is drip fed into the guts more slowly. Back in the day it was used as a justification for the serving size of whey protein for one of the big manufacturers, can't recall which. Perhaps it was of relevance for a single serving of a refined whey product on an empty stomach, it certainly had no relevance to actual food.
MJP
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »

Was the ANB Yorkshire 2001 a turning point for you Mark? There were 9 in the class and you were unplaced (sorry for the reminder  Cool), but it was a tough class! Tell us how it felt, and how it changed you as a competitor.  Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements