February 20, 2019, 05:30:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Merrifield, UIBBN World Champion  (Read 98758 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »

Welcoming Andrew Merrifield, 2006 UIBBN World Champion, and 2006 NPA British Overall Champion.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle.  Cool
DDG
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »

Hi Andrew,

I think everyone will agree that you achieved breathtaking condition in 2006, first at the NPA Yorkshire show and thereafter at the finals, before cleaning up at the UIBBN World Championship.

I speak for many, I suspect, in expressing curiousity and interest in the detail of your training protocol, not least your approach to dieting in the weeks leading upto the NPA Yorkshire show. Could you share with us your diet, with a detailed breakdown of the macros and explain how you fine tune your nutrition as a show approaches ... any additional information on supplementation would greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DDG
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »

Firstly i would like to thank Jon for asking if i would like to be on board here,and most of ya may no my gramMa is out of this world ;0)

Hya Dean

Thanks for your question 2006 was is a very memorable year for good and bad the good i won a few shows the bad i injured my lower back.
Npa Yorkshire i went beyond my prep more so than any year a few reason for this ,i new there were some big names entering the show at the time Neil Ashley who meny thought would kick my rear allso there was kerry ex wnbf pro,mic b and offcorse Big gus who beat me last time at the same show, in my mind they were all potential winners ,there was such a buz surrounding this show that year it was crazy i remember the post on another muscle forum that was very popular at the time getting so meny hits and comments,any way i new if i was going to enter the show i had to go beyond my contest prep more so than eny year.

So i starterd way way out from my usual contest prep diet that was around 8 weeks - january i starterd cardio just 25 min a few times a week and i starterd to clean most days diet.
feb was the same now in march i remember thinking you no what i carnt be assed with all this i dont want it any more so i basically starterd to eat what  ever i fancied the more ate the more depressed i got i starterd to think omg what are you doing get a grip of your self you can do this .
I wrote lots of possative thoughts down on a4 paper and stuck this to the tabel were i eat my food i allso started watching my old Mr olympia tapes as these inspired me so much when i was a teenager ....
I got the tunnel vision back the eye of the tiger The Power Of My Dreams.....

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »

posative energy was pumpimg though my body again.

prep -45  mins cardio on my steps at home ,i used them i bit like the stair master with each step contracting my quad hamstrings and glutes this was the 1st year i ever did this, i thought of this as i didnt want to travel to the gym so early so i came up with idear, i would walk up the steps two at a time this gave a great stretch 100% improved my glute hamstring tie ins i would then dart back down the steps fast pace...

Then later that evening ether after my workout i would jump on the stairmaster again sqeeeeeeeeeeeeezing my glutes hams and quad or i would use the steps in the gym  another 45 min. one thing i would like to point out is i never used the stairmaster or stairs for eny show untill 2006 ,then after watching big ronnie on his stairmaster i thought will defo try this next time i diet for a show.

Main sorce of protein was turkey yuk ,carbs white potato ,post workout shake was pro- recover and g-matrix.....micro nutrients i didnt have any.i allso was eating oats but cut them around 6 weeks allso i had banana every morning with brakefast.

I did not have a cheat day if my head went then so be it i nailed junk food,that happend the night before the show omg.

I did not carb up at all for this show.

every day i was drinking a good 8 liters ,now the last week each day a drank a extra liter of water untill the 2nd to the last day be for the show drank 18 liters of water allmost none stop drinking and the loo not given a 2nd thought to my health OMG...looking back i must have been crazy.

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »

Supplements....

Bcaas - big hand full 15 min before - morning.
Glutamine - 10g before cardio
nescafa two teaspoons - 15 min before cardio.

If i did cardio after workout ,i didnt like doing this but some times didnt have the time or energy to doing it before bed .

Aminos big hand full.
Glutamine - 10 g
Protein with no carbs.

The days is didnt do cardio after workouts i would put one or two pro- recover down my neck or g- matrix in double serving.

The only thing that would change in my workout during contest prep was a few tricks here and there for my quads to help bring the detail out and  my back workout that many of you will no as it on my dvd ...

fats was from eggs and udos.

Allso would like to add in 2008 i starterd to use a lot of red meat and upped my glycogen quite alot in my contest prep it made all the differnce in terms of my energy levels ect and made my dieting so much more easy. 2006 believe it or not i had not  masterd the art of Diet  Shocked,that year i ran my self in to the ground a number of factors were my calories were far two low ,my carbs were far two low ect ,yes i acheaved the Ultimate condition but lost plenty muscle i allso thought i was going to crack up lol  

The ironic thing is i no more about my body now than i have ever done..........

As you can see there is nothing fancy in my opproach to contest prep, at the end of the day be consistant in all that you do train hard and you will get the results.........
THINK ITS TIME FOR A LATE NIGHT WORKOUT ;0)
dan236

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

Andrew, how are you doing?
Do you think you will compete again? Or has your motives/responsibilities changed?
Adam

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

Hi Andy 

on your dvd   ( awesome by the way )  for your off season diet  .  You were eating 2 real food meals  and the rest were peptide fusion with oats and fat.   I was suprised to see that you consumed so many shakes compared to food however you still looked awesome for it.  Do you still follow this diet format or has it changed at all .  Often hear people slating using protein drink over real food but when you have a busy lifestyle sometimes little choice. 

Thanks
Adam
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »

Hya Adam

Thanks for your question
I was takening Full advantage of my Reflex deal hence i was nocking back lots of there shakes each day , being very busy this was a great way for me to comsume a good amount of proten each and every day plus a  didnt want to eat cold meals from my gym bag did enough of this when i was preping for a show mate.

Today food and nutrition and supplement intake so far is.

10g glutamine - black coffie then  25 min walk. no aminos none left.

Breakfast - cranberry juice no adderd suger - hand full of blueberrys - banana - spoon full of udos oil - 2 eggs - protein Powder - and oats - all in the blender - hey presto Jamie O eat ya heart out ;0)
reflex nexgen, krill oil,AlA,and coleus forskohli guggul lipid complex ,right name for a product lol

Lunch - white potato - salard - 2 eggs - chicken. and spoon full of Almond butter ,Tom Hoesli recommenderd me the Almond butter great for fats ect.

Next meal is Oats with udos and a reflex blend of Proteins all mixed in a shaker.

Before i train - pre workout drink - reflex bcaa- and am going to pop a couple of Kre- Alkalyn.

During working Glutamine and more Aminos - a few mouth fulls of a recovery drink am out of growth matrix so i will ty some thing else for a change.
post workout - recovery drink - creatine- aminos- and cow & Gate baby balance apple & blueberry dessert..

When i get home i will have steak with cabbage ect
Before bed dont no yet..

Thanks
M
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »

what does your training routine look like at the moment mezza? do you still train on a 5 day split and which bodyparts do you pair up?

cheers
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »

oreet dan

Am doing good how about your self you still training hard?

Thanks for your question.

I would love to stand on stage improved and in top condition ,bodybuilding does not rule my world my thoughts no were near as much as i used to i dont count or think about how meny grams of protein i have had each meal each day ect i dont look and marvel at the phiques in flex as i used to i still look now and then but i get no inspiration looking at the gaints as i did years a go for sure i dont have the motivation i have been training so meany years and done so meny shows,going to the gym does not exite me like it once did ,some times i go allmost out of habit and routine ,dont forget i have been bodybuilding over 20 years as others on jons forum have been ,but forsure entering a show would make my heart pump with excitement and adrinaline .
My workouts are not as brutal as they once were due to my lower back ,some weeks my back feels ok but otherweeks its not happening  hence i have to take it real easy,but never the less i work around it if poss and stil get a productive workout ;0)

I have a lot more responsibilities yes .

But i miss the feeling we get when we stand on stage in top shape i do dream about flexing again ,time will tell mate.but dont count me out yet i have a few years left in me ;0)

How about your self dan are you going to nail the stage this year .

Thanks

M

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

DB.

Monday - calves and back - abbs
Tuesday - hams and shoulders
Wensday - depends sometimes biceps
Thursday - Quad tickel.
Friday - chest and if i didnt do biceps on wendsday the i will do them after chest then triceps.

How about  your self Davey?

Thanks

M
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »

cheers mez,
couple more questions

first of all your quads are like the natural equivelant to tom platz. where they always a strong point for you from the start?

second which show did you enjoy most?

used to do something like

chest/delts
back/bi's/tris
quad/calves/abs
rest and then repeat but doing hams instead of quads

with abs and calves every other workout. hit a bit of a wall doing that though so now its

delts/tri's/abs (as these are my main weakness and need there own day)
hamstrings/calves
back/Biceps
chest (the other big weakness)
quads/calves

still got alot of work to do, thinghs are coming slowly though Cheesy
dan236

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

oreet dan

Am doing good how about your self you still training hard?

Thanks for your question.

I would love to stand on stage improved and in top condition ,bodybuilding does not rule my world my thoughts no were near as much as i used to i dont count or think about how meny grams of protein i have had each meal each day ect i dont look and marvel at the phiques in flex as i used to i still look now and then but i get no inspiration looking at the gaints as i did years a go for sure i dont have the motivation i have been training so meany years and done so meny shows,going to the gym does not exite me like it once did ,some times i go allmost out of habit and routine ,dont forget i have been bodybuilding over 20 years as others on jons forum have been ,but forsure entering a show would make my heart pump with excitement and adrinaline .
My workouts are not as brutal as they once were due to my lower back ,some weeks my back feels ok but otherweeks its not happening  hence i have to take it real easy,but never the less i work around it if poss and stil get a productive workout ;0)

I have a lot more responsibilities yes .

But i miss the feeling we get when we stand on stage in top shape i do dream about flexing again ,time will tell mate.but dont count me out yet i have a few years left in me ;0)

How about your self dan are you going to nail the stage this year .

Thanks

M

Yeah it seems that most people who have been training/competing for 10, 20 years of their life reach that point. I guess more so when there is marriage & kids on the cards and so their responsibilities adapt.

As for me I really don't know, I want to do, but at the minute I have so much going on. I am doing a Master's Degree, work full-time and am looking into setting up my own business (which I may be onto you about some time soon  Tongue), so most days now I am up at 5am and not getting to bed well as late as 2am somedays! To keep me ticking though I'm having a dabble with powerlifting at the minute. Also, you'll be glad to know that I have been following your advice of cardio that you've always said, not much, 20-30mins a day.

Do you think there would be more motivation for people to compete and more people doing it if there was more of reason to do so, ie: prizes, money, etc?
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »

Davy.

Quads no they wasnt a strong point but at 18 years old i could squat 2 plates a side very well and allso bench press the same ,my legs got stonger but i never hit the 3 plates aside on bench for reps.

What show did i enjoy the most great question ,with out adout my 1st show the Anb yorkshire 1998 allso Anb Finals my routine went down a storm allso the 2006 yorkshire stands out for me due to nailing some good phyiques and the fact just about everybody that was following the natural bodybuilding sean back then new there was one hell of a battle about to take place hence there was many competitive top class natural bodybuilders watching to name a few The Brat Pack ;0) The Mighty Fivos ,Tony Monty,Dean Garratt,Jason Rickaby,Peter Chown,and of corse Jon harris was a judge allong with Andy Palmer....so this was all very exiting the buzz was electric.....
Some of the other shows kinda mingel in to one i have so meny fond memorys davy ,the npa guest pose in wales was a great day,as was my Npa -Ultimate Predator routine guest pose....
So meny pal the Nabba shows i have done have allways been buzzing the crowed allways go nuts after my routines, gosh just thinking back now i remember winning the npa final on a saturday  i had this crazy idear of doing the Nabba Pro Am the day after so we Zooooooooooomed up the moto way the following day i made the show took 2nd place and 500 pounds away monday i could not move my neck i was in so much pain due to all the crazy Pumping up i did for both shows ...............oh its great to remenisce .

Keep Pumping and Humping .

DDG
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »

I'm surprised you weren't squatting more at 18! Even I was squatting 2 1/2 plates for 10 reps to parallel at 18 years, at a bodyweight of just 10 stones, when I was sprinting. Later on, if memory serves me, you claim much more weight ... I am only surprised you didn't have more natural strength at 18, when you were in the thick of competing at just 22!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements