February 20, 2019, 05:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Merrifield, UIBBN World Champion  (Read 98756 times)
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »

cheers mez, can't go wrong with 500 quid in your back pocket and a NPA overall Cheesy

ddg, do you beleive there is a direct link between strengh and muscle size? i only ask due to their being several athletes at my gym who are around the 10/11 stone mark and can deadlift enourmous number while they're are many more muscular guys (in the 12-14stone mark) who lift only 1/2-3/4 there poundages?
dan236

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »

I'm surprised you weren't squatting more at 18! Even I was squatting 2 1/2 plates for 10 reps to parallel at 18 years, at a bodyweight of just 10 stones, when I was sprinting. Later on, if memory serves me, you claim much more weight ... I am only surprised you didn't have more natural strength at 18, when you were in the thick of competing at just 22!

But Dean, arent the two different?.. In MD it is always banging on about the irrelevance of weight, aslong as one is training like a bodybuilder and focusing on muscle contraction etc, you will grow..
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »

Sorry to disapoint you Dean lol

I was pumping a good 25 reps out Dude - with extra forced reps. 2 plates a side

Forsure i would increase weight a extra 10 kg a side each set ,maxing out around 12 reps with 3 aside as big Steve H would have seen meny times.

I was no pune in the Gym ,dont for get i was surrounded by Gym Animals - Allgood.

my benching never got past 2 and a half plates for reps .

Super Sonic Boom.

K_Dogs

DOMS makes you feel alive....

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

Yo Mezza,

It seems that you brought up your body parts using pretty high reps. Would you recommend a certain rep range to work in for maximum hypertrophy?
Also during a 20+ rep set of squats are you keeping the muscle under constant tension and not locking out?

Cheers,
Keith
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »

Grin I can vouch for some brilliant insane training days where mass, weight and volume, tri sets, triple drop sets were all going on - great bonkers times - all with the aim of outlifting outreping and getting one up on others in the gym. Grin

And you know what - I don't think I see many younger/older bodybuilders in any gym I go to train as hard as we did then  Grin

I will be training in a gym in Leicester tomorrow evening and they think I am totally mad - the intensity kills most partners and I don't train any where near as hard as we did back then  Grin

But then Workout Warehouse really was a hot bed of talent - where else produced 3 World Champs with locakl guys who trained together?  Mezza - Brandon Greenwood and bringing up the rear a few years later me!!

Dean - Mez used to easily squat 3 plates - and I couldn't squat that!!!  Used to really piss me off and has taken me years to catch up Cry
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

Dan the busy man ,thanks for your question mate.

(Do you think there would be more motivation for people to compete and more people doing it if there was more of reason to do so, ie: prizes, money, etc?)

Yes sure ,but more people not unless the prize was Good i mean really good  but unless someone new comes along and starts thinking out of the box then this wont happen ....

So unless the Show promoter makes more of a spectical of the show they wont get the off possible investers ,now if the show was on tv this could bring more companys to advertise there banners ect at the shows.....would be more appealing to invest!!

And Or the promoter of the show could pump back some of the takeings eg profit margin from bums on seats ,show entrys ext into a prize money for winners that could be sent to them via cheque in the post .......

More Athletes entering the show more familys more gym freinds more mates ect filling up seats more

Good Venue i no the cost of this i phoned one up last year,that i guest posed at. fronter in batley.
Good statue trophys - i no the cost of these - all good.
drug testing cost i have no  idea but lets say its around 1000 to test the winners ....

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »

Just 300 people paying 10.00 covers the lot.

Mabe in time there will be more independant Natural bodybuilding events shows ect in the uk time will tell.

would all so like to say end of the day i trained for my self i wanterd muscles simple as that it was amazing that i discoverd natural bodybuilding shows hence the Anb now Npa and bnbf ect and let us not forget without such fedarations there would be no stage for use to stand on a even playing field so to speak,but dont for get with out the dedication from just a few lets say no more than around 100 competitive natural bodybuilders competing there would be no show.end of ;0)

Cutting it - Ripping it - Flexing it......................................

Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »

Hiya Keith

Squats no lock out mate,will help to keep tention  off your knees two.

My Muscles seem to respond a little with high reps but not light reps mate.

my opinion yes high reps for quads but i would all so put some heavy sets in there two

Thanks

M
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

Big Steve

Omg we smashed are bodies to bits in that gym for so meny years - The Power of Dreams eh!!!

These days i still train hard but i dont do tuns of forced reps and drop sets ect eny more thank good ness,but saying that it did keep me ripperd all year round ...

hope your well mate

Regards

M

SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »

Regretting taking up Natural Oaks 50 rep challenge last week - and still recovering  Grin

Enjoying the new Q&A though - great idea
Mezza

www.Mezza-TurboNox.com

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »

Sounds Brill.

But i dont take my workouts to The Outa Limits eny more ,as lee haney once said stimulate dont Annihilate but never did listein to him any way lol

I dont miss not been able to walk, all most for a week due to muscle pain from Brutal workouts

If my back was 100% then i would still no dout from time to time take my workouts to the edge .

But sounds good what The oak does .

Keep Humping - i mean Pumping ........
MJP
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »

Hey up Mezza Man - I was there when you won the UIBBN World title in 2006, and the emotion really got to you afterwards...tell us what was going through your head around that time.  Cool
dan236

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »

Dan the busy man ,thanks for your question mate.

(Do you think there would be more motivation for people to compete and more people doing it if there was more of reason to do so, ie: prizes, money, etc?)

Yes sure ,but more people not unless the prize was Good i mean really good  but unless someone new comes along and starts thinking out of the box then this wont happen ....

So unless the Show promoter makes more of a spectical of the show they wont get the off possible investers ,now if the show was on tv this could bring more companys to advertise there banners ect at the shows.....would be more appealing to invest!!

And Or the promoter of the show could pump back some of the takeings eg profit margin from bums on seats ,show entrys ext into a prize money for winners that could be sent to them via cheque in the post .......

More Athletes entering the show more familys more gym freinds more mates ect filling up seats more

Good Venue i no the cost of this i phoned one up last year,that i guest posed at. fronter in batley.
Good statue trophys - i no the cost of these - all good.
drug testing cost i have no  idea but lets say its around 1000 to test the winners ....

Do you not think that thats the main drawback of bodybuilding though mate as the competitions are sooo boring from a spectators point of view who is an average joe off the street?? To the likes of me, you and others who are into bodybuilding or even friends and families of those competing it isn't so boring, but to say Jeff from round the corner it is!

Which is why I was asking about better prizes being on offer, not necessarily cash, but say an interview in The Beef or weekend away in the Lakes? This method seems the only viable way of attracting more competitors and interest as there is only so much entertainment someone gets out of watching someone "flex their pecs"  Cool, (unless you're in a strip-club  Cheesy)..

DDG
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »

I'm surprised you weren't squatting more at 18! Even I was squatting 2 1/2 plates for 10 reps to parallel at 18 years, at a bodyweight of just 10 stones, when I was sprinting. Later on, if memory serves me, you claim much more weight ... I am only surprised you didn't have more natural strength at 18, when you were in the thick of competing at just 22!

But Dean, arent the two different?.. In MD it is always banging on about the irrelevance of weight, aslong as one is training like a bodybuilder and focusing on muscle contraction etc, you will grow..

Yes, you are right they are different; the relationship between strength and size is not causal although there is, of course, some correlation. My point was simple. Given the size of Andrew's quad I am surprised he was using relatively light weights - let's not forget he's a good bit heavier than me! On the issue of strength and size, I have never had chicken legs. My legs were proportionately big at the age of 12 years. I too used to train with high reps. I was knocking out sets of 12-15 reps to parallel with 3 1/2 plates when I was 22/23 years of age. I suspect that's when my testosterone levels were at their highest point. I couldn't do that, for example, in my late 20s, nor into my 30s, although my legs didn't suffer any.

But this isn't my thread. All I'm saying is, I'm surprised for the reasons given above.
Damo NY

www.damianleestailoredfitness.co.uk

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

Hi Mezza,

Did you ever have a scheduled cheat meal each week when you were prepping for a show?

Cheers

Damo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements