February 20, 2019, 04:10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Whitacre, WNBF Pro World LW Champion  (Read 39049 times)
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »

Welcoming Brian Whitacre, American WNBF Pro and 3 x Pro World Lightweight Champion.

Here to answer all your questions at Natural Muscle. Cool
BW

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »

Actually only 3x Jon...don't oversell me!   Grin

Appreciate the invite - hopefully I can contribute from this side of the pond. 
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »

welcome aboard Brian.
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

Actually only 3x Jon...don't oversell me!

Whoops, sorry Brian! Just corrected it. Think I accidentally counted your international win as a world win, from your website. Hopefully you'll make it 4 sometime in the future though! Great to have you here.  Cool
daveybriggs

NPA South-East Lightweight Champion

daveybriggs@hotmail.com
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

welcome brian, i am going to get in first before everyone has a chance to bombard you with questions lol

Q1. I understand you diet for in the region of 26 weeks and spend the other 26 weeks in more of an offseason mode. do you find the longer diet to be less punishing? also do you think it pays an integral part of the extreme level of stage condition you reach?

Q2. Favorite exercise for legs?

Q3 when your near stage condition are you still able to perfom in the gym? and how much does it affect your day to day life being so lean?

Q4 What inspired you too compete?

massive well done for winning your class at the worlds, hope to see you take the overall next time

Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »

Brian, how do you maintain willpower for 26 weeks when cutting, when most of us (me included) are going insane by week 12?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »

Got another question (like Davey I'm getting them in early before the masses arrive!)

What is the worst peice of advice you have ever received regarding natural bodybuilding? By this I mean something that possibly a respected person offered to you with good intentions, or maybe you read in a book etc, and perhaps it even makes sense, but it's just plain wrong!
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »

Brian do you find that as you get to lower bodyfat levels your mind plays tricks on you? eg you feel more angry or more emotional? How does your wife feel about the whole dieting process?
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

Hi Brian great to have you here.

I have a couple of qs (to start!)

1) I am aware that you are an academic and have influenced many (heard you mention Valentine's name on the recent NB radio interview) into getting involved with the sport. Do you feel bodybuilding has a positive impact on your academic persuits in relation to the discipline, structure and will power involved?

2) Training related this one. Traditionally over here most of the time people seem to train to a weekly split. For the worlds to bring your quads you said you trained over a 2 week split and tabbed exercises onto other workouts, using the principle of increased volume to hit lagging body parts. Could you give us an insight into how you construct a programme like this? hope that makes sense.
BW

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »

welcome brian, i am going to get in first before everyone has a chance to bombard you with questions lol

Q1. I understand you diet for in the region of 26 weeks and spend the other 26 weeks in more of an offseason mode. do you find the longer diet to be less punishing? also do you think it pays an integral part of the extreme level of stage condition you reach?

Q2. Favorite exercise for legs?

Q3 when your near stage condition are you still able to perfom in the gym? and how much does it affect your day to day life being so lean?

Q4 What inspired you too compete?

massive well done for winning your class at the worlds, hope to see you take the overall next time

Thanks Davey, good to be here!

Q1: I wouldn't say that I find the longer diet less punishing - honestly I have never gotten into true contest shape without it.  As an amateur I dieted for 16 weeks, 20 weeks, but never got to the truly contest-ready condition I knew I would need as a pro.  My first pro show I dieted for 26 weeks, and it worked well for me, so I haven't really tried to do anything shorter.  I do think the longer diet is crucial for me to get into that type of shape - I am not sure how Jon / Brandon / others do it in a shorter time period!  I would have to stay a LOT leaner in the off-season to be ready to compete in a shorter amount of time...and I like my food in the off-season.  Grin

Q2: I still love a good squat session!  I have come value front squats highly as well.  Leg press / hack squats are lower on my list. 

Q3: My energy is still quite good in the gym as I approach contest shape, probably because I have a nice carb meal an hour before and also take a thermogenic.  That is usually my favorite time of the day!  The rest of the day is much tougher.  Thankfully I control my own schedule at my job, and can plan my meals out accordingly.  When you are truly lean missing a meal by 30 minutes is excruciatingly painful.  My social life does suffer, but I make it a point to still go out every so often - I don't want friends / family hating my bodybuilding because they never get to see me. 

Q4:  To me competing was another way to challenge myself.  I was in school at the time, and although I had lifted for quite a while I knew nothing about competition until another competitor approached me.  It seemed like a good way to combine both physical and mental strength, and as soon as I got onstage I knew this was something I would be continuing for a long time.   
BW

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »

Brian, how do you maintain willpower for 26 weeks when cutting, when most of us (me included) are going insane by week 12?
Jon, after doing this the last 5 years it comes relatively easy now.  The option to go off the diet simply doesn't exist in my head.  Sure, I crave a cheat meal after 15 weeks of dieting.  Eating another can of tuna fish instead is not appetizing, but I know it's what I need to do to achieve success.  I really doubt it would have a big impact on my physique if I had a cheat meal during my prep, but I couldn't handle it mentally.  Knowing that I didn't do literally everything I could have to optimize my physique before stepping onstage would eat at me. 

It's really a matter of prioritizing.  BB is important to me, probably 3rd on my list behind family/friends and work.  I want to be the best I can at all aspects of my life, and I recognize that getting through the diet is crucial to doing well as a BB. 

A couple of other things that I think are important:
1) Having an interesting job.  Nothing is worse than sitting around waiting for your next meal.  Accomplishing things at work makes the day go by much quicker and keeps your mind off of food.   
2) Having a supportive spouse/significant other.  I eat most of my dinners alone during contest prep time - and my wife is fine with that.  It would be much more difficult if we were constantly going out to eat, with me lugging coolers into the restaurant (although I have done that many times). 

BW

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »

Got another question (like Davey I'm getting them in early before the masses arrive!)

What is the worst peice of advice you have ever received regarding natural bodybuilding? By this I mean something that possibly a respected person offered to you with good intentions, or maybe you read in a book etc, and perhaps it even makes sense, but it's just plain wrong!
Hmmmm I can think of a couple:
1) The basic idea that "more is better."  Longer training sessions, 7-day per week splits, double cardio sessions do NOT mean you will make more progress.  Pretty sad that it took me a while to figure that one out, considering I'm an economist and the law of diminishing marginal returns tells us this exact thing. 
2) High-intensity interval cardio is the best way to lose fat.  It may very well be effective, but I think it can potentially burn muscle as you get leaner.  This past year I only did low-intensity cardio and still managed to get into decent shape. 
dan236

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »

Brian cracking stuff having you on here!.. Couple of questions:
- What does your diet look like both on & off season? Are you as strict with the diet in the offseason, ie: do you have scheduled cheat meals or do you have something if you fancy it at the time?
- Is it true you train with Doug Miller (he has some brill videos on YouTube of him doing deads!)
- If the above question is true, any chance you can persuade him to join the board too  Cheesy?
- Oh, English or American football lol Cheesy?
Jon
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:20 AM »

Thanks Brian, nice answers!

- Is it true you train with Doug Miller (he has some brill videos on YouTube of him doing deads!)

Imagine Doug if we let him loose on the Challenge board! Everyone else might as well go home.  Grin
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 08:18:42 AM »

27 reps on 180kg- not bad Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements