February 20, 2019, 05:37:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Whitacre, WNBF Pro World LW Champion  (Read 39052 times)
dan236

Email
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

If I remember rightly, Francisco works super, super hard. I think I saw his weight sessions last for nearly 2 hours due to the amount of reps & sets he does!.. I could be mistaking him for someone else I read about though..
BW

Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:25 AM »

Kurts got a great video library on his website, he is truely a beast when it comes to weight for reps.
I managed to pick up nb and f on the isle of wight so not sure what the criteria is for places to get it in?!

Brian, in your diet on your website it looks like the only solid fat source u get in during your diet is yolks from eggs. All the rest seem to come from whatever is in food (ie extra in oats)
 Do u take an extra sup for this or am I missing something?

Thanks for your last reply, I have developed a programme to get the best out of those two lifts. (Squats and deads)

Also just a question about your competition-
There is a chap I have seen compete in wnbf shows, francisco monte(can't remember the last bit of his name!)
If he did the worlds as a light or middle, how do u think he would fair?

Thanks Bull, glad to hear my thoughts are useful! 

Regarding the dietary fats - I do get trace amounts in foods like chicken / beef / even oats, but the main sources of fat I have in my diet are almonds and peanut butter.  The diet on my website is a bit dated - I really should update that.  I find that 1 tbsp of PB at night helps me sleep, even if it's only about 8g of fat.   I should note that I do take supplementary fats - Scivation makes 2 kinds that I like:  EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids - mix of Omegas) and Sesamin.  Of my 40g per day, roughly 10g of fat is in pill form.  I take those with non-carb meals. 

Regarding Francisco - I've not met him in person, but I've always been VERY impressed with the pics I've seen.  In fact I think he should have beaten Helaire for the overall at the U.S. Cup last year.  I wish he would do Worlds, although in a 3 class format I think he'd be pushing to be in the MWs.  Great legs, excellent arms and his conditioning is always where it needs to be.  The only weak point from what I can see is his back, but I'm sure he's working on it.  I actually don't think the guy has lost his class yet - he has at least a couple of class wins in the WNBF, which is impressive!  And yes, he is certainly one of the guys I'm talking about when I say the WNBF has many excellent competitors that I've not faced on stage - Clarence McGill and Jon Harris being a couple of others. 
BW

Email
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:33 AM »

brian, do you still get nervous in the run upto a show and do you pay much attention to your competition in the run up?

also are there many mind games backstage at the WNBF shows?

fransisco Montealegre i think it is bull

Davey,

Yes I do still get nervous before a show - I don't think I'll ever completely lose those butterflies!  I rarely sleep the night before.  I'm typically pretty confident in the physique I'm bringing to the stage but the anticipation is one of the things I love about the sport, so I wouldn't change that. 

Honestly I don't pay much attention to my competition.  We never even know who will be in any of the classes until the Friday before the show anyway, so it doesn't do any good to worry about it.  Sometimes my friends will send me links to comments made by some of the competitors - in fact I think both Jim and Shaun went on Natural Bodybuilding Radio before Worlds last year and declared they were bringing their best ever physique to the stage - but all that really does is fire up your competition.  I really only focus on me and my shortcomings - and as one of the articles on my blog indicates, failure is a GREAT motivator. 

The atmosphere backstage at Worlds is great.  The comradarie at WNBF shows is something I've really come to enjoy.  Even monsters like Martin Daniels gladly pose for pics with anyone who asks, and although we all want to do well there's never any "bad advices" being given.   
SteHowie

5 x British 2 x UIBBN World Champ Powered by EQ

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

The questions seem to be drying up so we can now ask the difficult ones!!

We all think that wining is the pinacle - but how do you cope with coming down after a long diet, winning the World Champs and getting on with normality?
What emotions run through you and do you contemplate on your achievements?
Adam

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

Hi Brian  great to have the opportunity to fire a question at you. 

From looking on your website  i see that you do your cardio pre contest early morning.   Is the steady state cardio ? and if so what form is it in ?   

I also see that you have very small amount of whey and oats pre cardio.  Do you still believe in doing this ?  If so do you still have the same amounts as shown on your website, how soon before the start of the cv do you have the meal , and if using fat burner supps when would you fit these in before cv. 

Thanks for reply Brain   
SCOTTGALTON

Bulkpowders code SG39238 FOR 5 OFF YOUR ORDER

Email
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »

Brian what do you think seperates you from second place? what do you feel make you  a champion? mind set? diet?
BW

Email
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:34 AM »

The questions seem to be drying up so we can now ask the difficult ones!!

We all think that wining is the pinacle - but how do you cope with coming down after a long diet, winning the World Champs and getting on with normality?
What emotions run through you and do you contemplate on your achievements?

Wow sorry for the delay guys - I had a chance to go to the Arnold Classic a few weeks ago and see the "other" side of the sport - mind boggling in that most of the IFBB guys are my height but 80-100 lbs bigger.  I was fortunate to represent Scivation at their booth - we must have had 8-10 natural pros there, it was a really good time.  Will try to write up a few thoughts on that when I finally fight my way out from the work that piled up!

SteHowie, winning is certainly important.  It's something we all aim for and frankly I wouldn't compete if I didn't have the drive to win.  Coming down after a long diet is something I look forward to - my wife and I visit all the restaurants I was craving during prep over the first few weeks post-contest!  I think it's important to have a plan (both diet and training) and put it into place soon after the competition is over.  It typically takes me a few weeks to come up with a split for the offseason, but I incorporate more food immediately, and of course have as many cheat meals as I crave.  We all make numerous sacrifices during prep and I try to make up for some of the selfishness by spending lots of time with family & friends immediately after. 

I haven't yet won the WNBF World Championships - you'll have to ask Jon or Brandon how that feels!  A class win is nice but of course the overall is what everyone is aiming for.  I do feel a sense of accomplishment, especially this last year after not winning the class in 2009, but it quickly washes over as I think about what I need to do to improve.  I am proud of my placings with the WNBF, but I think what makes a true champion is always seeking more and never being satisfied.  I think some of the students here at school are more proud of me than I am of myself!  It was neat to see myself on the poster for the latest NB&F mag (see the blog on my site for a pic), but I've never been one to really crave attention.  So, the return to "normality" sits quite well with me.
thebull

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"

Email
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »

A real champion mentality an dno doubt the reason why you improve year on year!

Brian who else is on team scivation?
merve500
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

From looking on your website  i see that you do your cardio pre contest early morning.   Is the steady state cardio ? and if so what form is it in ?   

I also see that you have very small amount of whey and oats pre cardio.  Do you still believe in doing this ?  If so do you still have the same amounts as shown on your website, how soon before the start of the cv do you have the meal , and if using fat burner supps when would you fit these in before cv. 

Thanks for reply Brain   
Also would you advise the oats and whey for all bodybuilders, e.g heavy weights or is this somthing that just works for you?
many thanx
BW

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »

Thanks for reply Brain   

Sorry for the delay guys!  Finally have some time to get on here again.

Adam, I do mostly steady state cardio - walking on an incline treadmill is my cardio of preference.  20 - 25 minutes at a reasonable incline, hands off the handle rails!  I throw in some High Intensity stuff when I feel like I'm stagnating, but only did it maybe 3 times throughout this whole last prep. 

And yes, I still do have a small amount of oats / whey before cardio.  The whole idea of fasted-state cardio has pretty much been de-bunked for natural bodybuilders.  I have tried it before and sometimes feel light-headed if I do cardio on a completely empty stomach, so now I just make sure that meal fits into my daily macros.  I take it at my house, then head to the gym - so maybe 20 minutes before starting.  I will throw in the thermogenics at the same time as the meal.  With such a small amount of food I don't think there's much interference. 
BW

Email
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »

Brian what do you think seperates you from second place? what do you feel make you  a champion? mind set? diet?

Well I have been in second place a couple of times and have yet to taste that overall so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this question!

I do think the extensive time dieting is something that most of my competition doesn't do, so that probably helps set me apart to some extent.  I'll never be as muscular or strong as some other guys like Doug Miller or Kurt Weidner, but I train as hard as I can and enjoy pushing myself to extremes when I train.  I also enjoy the mental side of the sport, thinking through how to make off-season improvements or to get that additional 1-2% improvement in conditioning are fun topics for me.  I think my academic training is beneficial here. 
BW

Email
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »

A real champion mentality an dno doubt the reason why you improve year on year!

Brian who else is on team scivation?

I am guessing that Scivation sponsors more natural bodybuilders than any other supplement company.  At the Arnold this year we had Rob Moran (WNBF Pro, won overall at California show in 2010), Tommy Jeffers (IFPA Pro, won overall at Massachusetts show in 2010), Ron Parmeter (IFPA Pro, 2nd place in NY Pro show in 2010), Layne Norton (IFPA Pro, HW class winner at IFPA KC show in 2010), myself, and Kurt Weidner.  They also sponsor some up-and-coming amateurs as well as some powerlifters.  Great company and great products!  I used them for 4+ years before becoming sponsored by them. 
BW

Email
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »

Thanks for reply Brain   
Also would you advise the oats and whey for all bodybuilders, e.g heavy weights or is this somthing that just works for you?
many thanx

Not sure I follow the question - I use oats and whey (small amount) pre-cardio in the morning, but have a more hearty meal (lean ground beef & rice) before my weight-training session in the afternoon.  I try to train heavy throughout prep, but again - it's all relative.  I do think nutrient timing is important for all bodybuilders, but finding that optimal combination will probably vary by person.  I know Kurt is big on flank steak and quinoa pre-workout, and also has good results with simply chicken, broccoli, and oats. 
BW

Email
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thought I would share this video of me doing some sumo deadlifts in the depths of my off-season.  Here is 495 lbs (225 kgs) x 12 reps.  I am much better at sumo than traditional deads, not sure why exactly.  I was pretty happy with this lift as it is a personal record for me, and I think I'm making some good gains this off-season.  Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NusNGuHac7o

MJP
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »

Very impressive lifting, Brian, you made them look easy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Natural Muscle Forum: Discussion on UK natural bodybuilding, weight training, strongman, powerlifting, weight loss, nutrition and supplements